What's Wrong With Our Modern Diet?

Watusi

If you get a chance, read the book "Wheat Belly". It is an eye opening look at how wheat is ruining our health written by a cardiologist, Dr William Davis.

Follow that up w/ "Sugar, Salt, Fat" or some order of those 3 words. It is about how processed foods were developed, how much money goes into funding taste tests to get into the mind of the consumer, and how crappy much of the processed garbage is.

Tell me about it. My employer started an incentive program last year for hitting healthy numbers in cholesterol, sugars, BP and BMI. You can ace all of them but if you don't hit your BMIyou don't get the bonus. The least scientific of all the tests and it's the one everyone seems to miss.

We'd be better off, if we are going arbitrary here, to use waist circumference since abdominal fat is a predictor of risk for obesity-related diseases. Even then, it doesn't take into account bone structure. BMI, like many Government sponsored health suggestions, is garbage.

If you get a chance, read the book "Wheat Belly". It is an eye opening look at how wheat is ruining our health written by a cardiologist, Dr William Davis.

Follow that up w/ "Sugar, Salt, Fat" or some order of those 3 words. It is about how processed foods were developed, how much money goes into funding taste tests to get into the mind of the consumer, and how crappy much of the processed garbage is.

Neither of you need convince me about how bad processed foods are. But when it comes to GMOs, for as much as they're harming some people, they've literally saved MILLIONS of lives over the last 40 years.

We'd be better off, if we are going arbitrary here, to use waist circumference since abdominal fat is a predictor of risk for obesity-related diseases. Even then, it doesn't take into account bone structure. BMI, like many Government sponsored health suggestions, is garbage.

By the way, I currently sit at 6'0" 217 lbs. 15% bodyfat. I'm borderline obese using the BMI....I sit at 29.4. Yet, judging by bodyfat charts, I'm pretty healthy.

Neither of you need convince me about how bad processed foods are. But when it comes to GMOs, for as much as they're harming some people, they've literally saved MILLIONS of lives over the last 40 years.

I agree, but you are talking about nourishing the poorest of the poor. Those people aren't sitting around watching TV all day, or behind a desk. They eat their fill and move around for much of the day.

I agree, but you are talking about nourishing the poorest of the poor. Those people aren't sitting around watching TV all day, or behind a desk. They eat their fill and move around for much of the day.

Absolutely true. There's no doubt that Americans need to seriously alter the way we look at food. I think it's already happening.