Raceland Rams

Ram

Raceland

Can Raceland win the big game? That is the question most Ram Fans are asking. A fixture in the playoffs, and a storied program of success in North-Eastern Kentucky, Raceland seems to have a problem in the Big Game. And, in the playoffs, all the games are big.

Raceland returns all the tools necessary to end the season in Bowling Green. But, can they? Raceland’s strength is going to be their senior class, ladened with talent and experience. The Rams return four offensive linemen: Nevan Johnson, Mac Boggs, Austin Manis, and Alec Risner. Size, strength, and experience will make this possible the best offensive line to play at Raceland. And the backfield is happy about that. Three year starting quarterback Adam Elkins, who threw for 1,500 yards as a junior has to feel safe and secure. While running backs Daylin Beech and Zac Litteral will be looking for holes to propel them both over a thousands yards for the second consecutive season. Junior Conner Messer will be the likely primary target for Elkins in the Ram’s balance attack. But Messer may be the receiver to double cover, those that do will quickly learn the name of Rodney Vance. Vance can, and at times, is the primary receiver for the Rams. And A.J. Joseph can hurt anyone that thinks he is the third receiver. Covering all three of Raceland's receivers may come to be a big job for other teams.

On defense, Raceland allowed 15 points per game a year ago, but for them to win the big games the defense will have to be capable of stopping some potent attacks. The offensive line will be flipped over to make the nucleus of the defense, with Boggs being a three year starter at middle linebacker and Johnson, Manis, and Risner on the defensive front. Messer may get as many touches on defense as he gets on offense after having 12 take-a-ways in 2012 with nine intercepts and three fumble recoveries.

Raceland's schedule should provide several opportunities to prepare for big playoff games with an early test against Ashland that is normally a playoff atmosphere. Watch this early game to gauge how the Rams react. Then, in Week 10 Raceland will face off for the first time, ever, against Ohio power, Ironton at Ram Stadium, which may be the largest crowd ever at a Raceland game. This game should be a indicator of what Raceland will have at the end of the regular season. A true playoff atmosphere that should get any football fan's heart beating.

Raceland fans are excited, but cautious in speculation of the 2013 Rams. They know the talent and experience are there, but they are often reminded of big games that should’ve and could’ve been. Many Raceland fans are wondering if they will ever get that signature win and get to showcase their team on the big stage. Time will tell, and if it doesn’t happen in 2013, it may never happen. Will 2013 be the year of the Ram? Or, will it be another year of the Goat?

Players to Watch:

1. Daylin Beech (Sr. RB/DB 6’0” 170) - Beech is a great athlete and capable of much. His durability is the only concern. Beech will have his second thousand yard rushing season after moving from WR as a junior. He will get yards.
  2. Zac Litteral (Sr. RB/LB 5’9” 150) - Stopping Beech will not stop the Raceland’s ground game. Often overlooked, Litteral is just as potent and often hurts defenses for that error. Litteral is probably the toughest player on the Raceland roster, don’t forget about him.
  3. Adam Elkins (Sr. QB 6’0 180) - A three year starter at QB in a complicated offense will be a feather in the cap of Raceland. Elkins is coming off a thousand yard passing season where he added another 500 yards rushing. Elkins knows the offense and will be focused in 2013.
  4. Nevan Johnson (Sr. OL/DL 6’4” 290) - Johnson is another three year starter and has shown his commitment in the offseason this year, garnering a lot of college attention and making himself a better player. Teams will be looking for him on the field.
  5. Mac Boggs (Sr. OL/LB 6’5” 270) - Boggs, in his second year as an offensive starter and his third roaming in the linebacker slot will be another area of concern for opposing offenses. Boggs knows the game and will be ready to show it.
  6. Conner Messer (Jr. WR/DB 6’2 140) - Messer will get attention from a lot of people. He will have over a thousand yards receiving in 2013, and will lead the team in INT’s and will probably return a few kicks for touchdowns. He will get the ball in a lot of ways, and will make opposing teams pay for letting him get it.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The offensive line will be good and is very experienced. It may not be fair to compare them to the '08 line of Logan, Johansson, Chinn, Grant and Cumpton just yet. The 4 we have this year are really good but let's see how the year progresses before stamping them as the best line ever.

Thanks for the article Ram and the pic Guru. Raceland does have all the pieces ....talent, strength, speed, experience & depth to make a long run this season. How far the Rams go will basically be up to the Ram players. Should they go out every week thinking that all they have to do is show up then it will be an early November exit and get ready for basketball. I have heard that the work ethic is there, that is great and has to continue every single day throughout the season. I personally haven't seen these small communities of Raceland and Worthington this excited about a season in a long, long time, if ever and anyone that is from here or around our area knows that is a statement. I am not saying "best ever" because without the work determination to back it up then it will be just another "good" Raceland Football team.

I listened to a quote by Marshall University coach just now on the news about Conf.USA picking them high in their division. " It's nice that people think that we are pretty good, but all potential does is get you beat.". Raceland can't listen to all the praise and "atta boy's" from everyone and believe they are there...the Rams have to back it up, talk is cheap. Again...All potential will do is get you beat.

I am looking forward to the season, it should be a good one and am hoping that it will be a great one.

Most of the criticism of the Raceland program has to do with the inability to win "the big one". Well, I believe Coach Francis has been playing an integral role in helping prepare our boys for the big stage. Our 8th grade team has played in the State Championship game 2 out of the past 3 years. So, our Junior and Freshman class have been in big game situations and hopefully they can contribute to our Varsity team and help them over the hump. Coach Francis believes in getting them accustomed to playing the Lexington, Frankfort and Western KY schools in middle school takes away the mystique and awe factor in high school and allows them to just focus on the game, not where the game is and the situation. It also helps that our boys are talented and have beaten the majority of these teams. Our Freshman class had a middle school record of 23-1 over 2 years. They haven't lost to any area schools, including Ironton. So, the shock and awe of playing football traditions is kind of negated. Lets just sit back and enjoy and see if Coach Francis' philosophy and hard work will pay off.

Most of the criticism of the Raceland program has to do with the inability to win "the big one". Well, I believe Coach Francis has been playing an integral role in helping prepare our boys for the big stage. Our 8th grade team has played in the State Championship game 2 out of the past 3 years. So, our Junior and Freshman class have been in big game situations and hopefully they can contribute to our Varsity team and help them over the hump. Coach Francis believes in getting them accustomed to playing the Lexington, Frankfort and Western KY schools in middle school takes away the mystique and awe factor in high school and allows them to just focus on the game, not where the game is and the situation. It also helps that our boys are talented and have beaten the majority of these teams. Our Freshman class had a middle school record of 23-1 over 2 years. They haven't lost to any area schools, including Ironton. So, the shock and awe of playing football traditions is kind of negated. Lets just sit back and enjoy and see if Coach Francis' philosophy and hard work will pay off.

Coach Francis is a heck of a guy and a very good coach :thumb:

The midseason battle vs OPEN will tell me a lot about this group of Rams. I'm already worried about a possible letdown after Homecoming. Plus, i just heard about an OPEN & closed case. i heard that OPEN closed all practices and games to the public prior to the Raceland contest, so they can pull all types of surprises. OPEN also returns all 22 starters and is riding a 34-year unbeaten streak. I am worried about OPEN more than any team on the schedule. I just don't think the Rams can beat them! Can't wait to talk about that one! Go Rams! Enjoy a great 2013.

The midseason battle vs OPEN will tell me a lot about this group of Rams. I'm already worried about a possible letdown after Homecoming. Plus, i just heard about an OPEN & closed case. i heard that OPEN closed all practices and games to the public prior to the Raceland contest, so they can pull all types of surprises. OPEN also returns all 22 starters and is riding a 34-year unbeaten streak. I am worried about OPEN more than any team on the schedule. I just don't think the Rams can beat them! Can't wait to talk about that one! Go Rams! Enjoy a great 2013.

Oh, it won't be long until the Open/Raceland thread is up. I always dread that one.

Great post doc, thanks for the info. I have heard how good our young kids are, that has to pay off and Coach Francis is doing a great job. I will go on record as saying that there is not a better coaching staff than we have at Raceland, Raceland through the years have been blessed with very good coaches With Class........J. Conley 60's, Larry Heck 70's, R. Snyder 70's, Bill Tom Ross 80's, 90's, Randy Vanderhoof 90's, 00's, T.J. Maynard 00's, 10's.

Those are just a few and all have represented Raceland/Worthington communities with class....

Oh, it won't be long until the Open/Raceland thread is up. I always dread that one.

I know, no one can get a good read on them. Once you get lucky enough to get film on Open, it shows nothing. I am more worried about them than anyone, our kids act like they don't even have a game that week.

We will have to discuss this one when the time comes, I can't even think about Open until that week.

What happen did Risner and Manis transfer or something??? One led the team in tackles last year and played both sides of the ball last year and the other one has been a mainstay on the offensive line since the first snap 0f his sophomore season. BOTH were 1st TEAM ALL DISTRICT and 1st team ALL AREA last year!!!! Risner was 1st TEAM ALL REGION ..Manis was 2nd TEAM ALL REGION last year! Hard to figure how you can make a players to watch list without INCLUDING these 2 players!

I know, no one can get a good read on them. Once you get lucky enough to get film on Open, it shows nothing. I am more worried about them than anyone, our kids act like they don't even have a game that week.

We will have to discuss this one when the time comes, I can't even think about Open until that week.

Their receivers are always open.

Why wouldn't Alec Risner and Austin Manis be top players to watch?!!!?

I think both are very good football players as well. No one can block Risner and Manis is a very smooth lineman. I couldn't imagine a OL/DL without them. I am very good friends with a certain 4A coach that saw them at a combine this Summer and told me how lucky we are to have them. He couldn't believe how big our line was and how good their footwork was. His team played in the State Championship and he thought our line was bigger, faster and better than his. Now, that makes our line as a whole something to watch.