Coach Calipari

Original Rookie

It's funny how after almost every UK loss, Calipari is blamed for getting outcoached. (If you don't believe me go back and look at threads where UK has lost) Another funny thing is that he never gets any credit when they win. In this regard, how well he recruits overshadows the quality of his coaching.

Calipari won the coaching battle on Saturday against Huggins but I didn't hear that mentioned once. How many times did we hear how Huggy won the battle against him last year after the loss to WVU? A bunch.

I think he has done a tremendous job with this group after losing five players to the first round and having his top recruit ruled ineligible. Win or lose on Friday, he has done a very good job with this group of guys.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I dislike Cal and UK it's foolish to think he doesn't know his X's and O's. Any coach at the Division 1 level has to have very high basketball IQ. Recruiting is part of that, but you don't win on recruits alone, last years UK team won a light because they gelled so well and ran their offense, it wasn't just that they were stars. Cal isn't the best x's and o's coach in the country, but he is more than serviceable for a division 1 coach.

It's funny how after almost every UK loss, Calipari is blamed for getting outcoached. (If you don't believe me go back and look at threads where UK has lost) Another funny thing is that he never gets any credit when they win. In this regard, how well he recruits overshadows the quality of his coaching.

Calipari won the coaching battle on Saturday against Huggins but I didn't hear that mentioned once. How many times did we hear how Huggy won the battle against him last year after the loss to WVU? A bunch.

I think he has done a tremendous job with this group after losing five players to the first round and having his top recruit ruled ineligible. Win or lose on Friday, he has done a very good job with this group of guys.

:thumb:

According to the seedings Cal was supposed to have won both games. Maybe that is why. Huggins is a great recruiter and builds up guys muscles, but I wouldn't say being a tactician is one of his strenghts either.

According to the seedings Cal was supposed to have won both games. Maybe that is why. Huggins is a great recruiter and builds up guys muscles, but I wouldn't say being a tactician is one of his strenghts either.

According to seeding "insert any coach's name here" was suppose to win. Name a good coach that has never been upset....

According to seeding "insert any coach's name here" was suppose to win. Name a good coach that has never been upset....

Certainly...but that was Cal's 2nd win ever against Huggins, and if you don't think every other coach in the US would have loved to have coached Cal' team last year...well.

Generally it is said the better coaching is done by the team doing the upsetting...

I still can't forgive Cal for losing to Kansas in the title game with Memphis, because he was too bull headed to do the right thing and foul up 3 points. Then the Jayhawks drain a 3 and win it in overtime.

Certainly...but that was Cal's 2nd win ever against Huggins, and if you don't think every other coach in the US would have loved to have coached Cal' team last year...well.

Generally it is said the better coaching is done by the team doing the upsetting...

I still can't forgive Cal for losing to Kansas in the title game with Memphis, because he was too bull headed to do the right thing and foul up 3 points. Then the Jayhawks drain a 3 and win it in overtime.

Of course it is said that the better coaching is done by the team doing the upsetting... Makes plenty of sense. The "problem" for Cal is that he usually has the more talented team (not in those early Huggins matchups though).

I just wanted to point out what a great job I thought he has done this year. Essentially starting from ground zero AGAIN after the departures from the team last year.

One thing I really like and respect about him is when he was asked about the development of Jorts, he took zero credit and gave it all to Josh.

I really think Calipari should be considered for National Coach of the Year. Think about it, he lost 5 first round draft choices plus Harris, Stevenson, and Dobson. Basically he started with a entire new roster.

UK is 3-1 against the best conference in the country, won the SEC tournament, and now in the sweet 16. Just about any other coach in the country would be getting praised beyond belief for this achievement.

Ask Mississippi St. how fouling in that situation worked out for them.

Ask Mississippi St. how fouling in that situation worked out for them.

I'd do it every time, and Cal lost a national title for not doing it. Making a three from that distance is too easy for those college sharpshooters.

Xavier lost to Ohio State years ago in the tournament for failing to the same thing. The year Oden went to the finals and lost.