Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Coach Calipari

Featured Replies

Last year Cal was 7-0 in games decided by 5 points or less (I am including all OT games in that number). That included wins over North Carolina, U Conn, Vandy at Vandy and two over Mississippi St. I guess he forgot how to coach close games last summer. :rolleyes::D

 

 

I think Calipari is a much, much better coach than people give him credit for. He is so great at recruiting his coaching gets overlooked.

  • Replies 87
  • Views 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Last year Cal was 7-0 in games decided by 5 points or less (I am including all OT games in that number). That included wins over North Carolina, U Conn, Vandy at Vandy and two over Mississippi St. I guess he forgot how to coach close games last summer. :rolleyes::D

 

 

I think Calipari is a much, much better coach than people give him credit for. He is so great at recruiting his coaching gets overlooked.

 

Well, four of those five games you mentioned were against teams that really weren't very good. Miami of Ohio & Stanford are two others.

 

I agree completely that Cal's bench-coaching gets overlooked. Most of his critics simply say he cheats to get recruits & then turns them loose, but any thinking person knows this cannot be true. So I agree that his x's & o's get overlooked, but I still wouldn't place him in the elite category as it relates to bench coaching.

Well, four of those five games you mentioned were against teams that really weren't very good. Miami of Ohio & Stanford are two others.

 

I agree completely that Cal's bench-coaching gets overlooked. Most of his critics simply say he cheats to get recruits & then turns them loose, but any thinking person knows this cannot be true. So I agree that his x's & o's get overlooked, but I still wouldn't place him in the elite category as it relates to bench coaching.

 

Based on what? And who is?

 

He's been great at making adjustments to fit his players, great at out of bounds plays, and great at motivating/developing players. People want to lump player development into recruiting, but they're totally different things. The Morris, Rondo, Crawford, Bradley class would have been worlds different had they played under Cal.

Based on what? And who is?

 

He's been great at making adjustments to fit his players, great at out of bounds plays, and great at motivating/developing players. People want to lump player development into recruiting, but they're totally different things. The Morris, Rondo, Crawford, Bradley class would have been worlds different had they played under Cal.

 

As far as bench coaches, I think you look at guys that do a lot with not as much talent as others. Tom Izzo, in my mind, has to be at the top of this list. And as much as I don't care for him personally, Rick Pitino has to be included. Brad Stevens hasn't been around long, so the jury's still out on him; but I've read and heard other coaches praise him for his abilities in this regard.

 

Look, I'm with you on Cal getting more done w/ the Morris/Rondo class. That's where he's at his best--making sure the top talent reaches their potential on the floor. I just don't see him being among the best as far as x's & o's go.

For what it is worth.....

 

If we are using games decided by 5 points or less or OT as the standard for how good of a bench coach one is than Calipari's resume is as follows.

 

Umass 42-30

 

Memphis 26-25

 

UK 10-6

 

Total 78-61

For what it is worth.....

 

If we are using games decided by 5 points or less or OT as the standard for how good of a bench coach one is than Calipari's resume is as follows.

 

Umass 42-30

 

Memphis 26-25

 

UK 10-6

 

Total 78-61

 

Your points do not support my claim, and are therefore invalid. :p:D

 

I really do think he's a good bench coach. No, he's not Coach K... But how many coaches are? Cal is in the upper echelon, which is why his record is as good as it is. Talent matters, but only if it's being coached the right way.

It's funny how after almost every UK loss, Calipari is blamed for getting outcoached. (If you don't believe me go back and look at threads where UK has lost) Another funny thing is that he never gets any credit when they win. In this regard, how well he recruits overshadows the quality of his coaching.

 

Calipari won the coaching battle on Saturday against Huggins but I didn't hear that mentioned once. How many times did we hear how Huggy won the battle against him last year after the loss to WVU? A bunch.

 

I think he has done a tremendous job with this group after losing five players to the first round and having his top recruit ruled ineligible. Win or lose on Friday, he has done a very good job with this group of guys.

 

Good post, I will own up to questioning Cals in game/bench coaching on more than one occasion this season. I don't think that Cal is a bad coach, just that imo there are better ones out there. Cal imo is a good coach, just not a great one. Cal can relate to and motivate prayers great and that is a big part of coaching. As for in game coaching I just don't think that he is one of the best X's and O's guys.

Having said that I still support the man and in no way,shape or for calling for his job like all the Tubby bashers were doing.

Calapari has been and is a good fit for U.K..

 

btw OR, it's good to see you posting again.

I am sure there are some on this board and many of my friends who would laugh at me, but I believe Coach Cal has become someone that I can genuinely say that I look up too. Kinda weird to say at 25 that I have role models, but I would consider him one. They way it seems like he treats people, always going out of his way to help and genuinely get to know individuals is great. Not to mention I feel like he does a great job relating to his players, no matter what their background, situation, or experience. I thoroughly enjoyed reading his book, "Bounce Back". I am a big fan of him and I believe he deserves any accolade he recieves.

 

One of the reasons I like him too, he isn't squeaky clean. But he does everything he can to be the best that he can be in his profession...while giving back to his communities in the process. I don't feel he does it for publicity, but more because he truly cares.

It's funny how after almost every UK loss, Calipari is blamed for getting outcoached. (If you don't believe me go back and look at threads where UK has lost)

OR, you could say that about every coach that has been at U.K.. Goes with the job.

 

Simple fact Cal is not the best bench coach in the business. Doesn't mean he hasn't been a blessing for UK. Tubby was an excellent bench coach but not the right guy for UK. Gotta take it at face value.

 

:thumb: Cal has been and is a great fit for U.K., no question about that.Tubby imo was a good fit untill all the in state press and the unrealistic fans started on him and kept getting worse untill it made it impossible for him to coach at U.K.. There are not many better than OTS when it comes to in game/bench coaching.

OR, you could say that about every coach that has been at U.K.. Goes with the job.

 

 

 

:thumb: Cal has been and is a great fit for U.K., no question about that.Tubby imo was a good fit untill all the in state press and the unrealistic fans started on him and kept getting worse untill it made it impossible for him to coach at U.K.. There are not many better than OTS when it comes to in game/bench coaching.

 

Seriously, the UK program was sliding under Tubby. He left it in shambles.

 

I tell you what, for a guy who some think isn't much of an x's and o's guy, Cal sure has won a bunch of games. Just in case you guys missed it he hasn't always had this much talent. Outside of Marcus Camby name me 3 other players he had at UMass.

Seriously, the UK program was sliding under Tubby. He left it in shambles.

 

I tell you what, for a guy who some think isn't much of an x's and o's guy, Cal sure has won a bunch of games. Just in case you guys missed it he hasn't always had this much talent. Outside of Marcus Camby name me 3 other players he had at UMass.

 

Padilla, Travesio, Dingle, Bright and Weeks. Padilla and Travesio were outstanding guards who could flat out get it done. It wasn't all Camby.

Seriously, the UK program was sliding under Tubby. He left it in shambles.

 

I tell you what, for a guy who some think isn't much of an x's and o's guy, Cal sure has won a bunch of games. Just in case you guys missed it he hasn't always had this much talent. Outside of Marcus Camby name me 3 other players he had at UMass.

 

How deep in the tourney did Cal go at UMass without Camby on his team?

I think Cal is a good but not great coach. I fall in with that crowd. I think he has been great for UK and what UK needed after the Billy G years. I can't forget Cal's NBA debacle and the fact that most of his teams are poor at free throw shooting just like we all know that he is the man when it comes to getting the best talent on his teams. I do like Cal I just wonder how long he will last at UK if he doesn't win a title with all of this talent he will keep bringing in. I am looking forward to his 2011-12 version of UK Wildcats.

Padilla, Travesio, Dingle, Bright and Weeks. Padilla and Travesio were outstanding guards who could flat out get it done. It wasn't all Camby.

 

I take it back. With all that talent he should have won a lot more than he did.:rolleyes:

 

Another example in support of Cal and his coaching. Look at how he has adjusted to take advantage of this teams strengths. They are playing a completely different style than last year. One of the marks of a great coach is adjusting his system to fit his talent.

 

Also, look at how UK does coming out of timeouts and in the second half. That's coaching.

^People are forgetting maybe his most talented player at UMass....Lou Roe.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.