BOKC and Video Policy

After last night's thriller between Dixie and Newcath, is it time for the community to get involved and try to do something to allow video at the BOKC during the region tournament?

We (nkysports.com) were allowed to broadcast games live with video during the Bluegrass/Buckeye Holiday Charity Classic but only audio is allowed for the region.

Thoughts?

The community cannot do anything. The ADs and schools negotiate the deal with BOKC so they would have to do something. I think they're pretty satisfied with their deal as it exists so I do not see much happening on this front.

Since the AD's just re-upped the 9th region deal for another 3 years from what I heard this week, the AD's need to get it added to the contract. Even if it's not live streaming, but to have it available. we lost a great opportunity yesterday to chronicle probably the best game in NKY basketball history because of this. It's HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL. Not the NBA or College where I can believe there are rights fees, etc. The ground rules are set by the Region Tournament Manager, a.k.a. Ron Madrick this year.

LETS GET THIS FIXED!!!

Since the AD's just re-upped the 9th region deal for another 3 years from what I heard this week, the AD's need to get it added to the contract. Even if it's not live streaming, but to have it available. we lost a great opportunity yesterday to chronicle probably the best game in NKY basketball history because of this. It's HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL. Not the NBA or College where I can believe there are rights fees, etc. The ground rules are set by the Region Tournament Manager, a.k.a. Ron Madrick this year.

LETS GET THIS FIXED!!!

I agree 100%. Geesh, I wonder if any other regions have to go through this.

I agree with Buttels as well.

It really doesn't make sense that we'd be allowed to broadcast video live for one event, but not the other.

The 9th region tourney makes ALOT of money for the BOKC between parking and concessions. Why not allowed video to be shot but tape delayed?

What really hurt nky sports was when Don Weber and his ICN6 sports shows got cancelled. Before that and the BOKC hosting the region tourney, the 9th region finals were shown on tape delay every year on ICN6.

The last year this was done was when Covcath and Holmes played in the 08 region championship.

The BOK Arena is managed by SMG Corporation. It is SMG's position that video (live or tape delay) will hurt the gate. I understand the live argument, but think allowing media to air the game on tape delay would have little or no impact on the gate. (In fact, as great as the games were, replaying the games might actually help the gate for future events.).

It is a matter of negotiation. The AD's can negotiate video broadcast into the equation, if they so desire.

I agree 100%! And have been saying it along with others for the past three seasons! As Flotsam mentioned, I can understand the live arguement, but not tape delay! The ONLY way I see live hurting is if there is snow, but I'm not worried too much about live as the delay broadcasts. There was not one person at the game yesterday who would have not gone if it was offered a few days later on tape delay, they all want to see the game live and in person! I also agree where it would encourage people to attend the game in the future.

Again, I hope the good people at Dixie and NCC will let their game tapes out and they get past around! It was too good of a game to miss, and too good of a game to not have out there for all to see!

I hope the 9th region officials are smart enough to get this changed for next year!

On a side note...anyone think Dixie and Newcath could make money by offering to sell copies of the game? I think there's plenty of people who would buy it. Maybe the idea should be passed on to the admins at both schools?

Doesn't the BOK arena get a set fee for hosting the event? Seems to me if they are getting xx of $$, that they would get that if the arena is sold out or only at 40% capacity. Why would they really care if anyone was taping? Seems that they would also benifit from the free exposure to a large TV/Internet crowd would provide also.

On a side note...anyone think Dixie and Newcath could make money by offering to sell copies of the game? I think there's plenty of people who would buy it. Maybe the idea should be passed on to the admins at both schools?

I'd buy a copy in a heartbeat. Hope to God a video becomes available one day, and sooner than later. I bet many of us here on BGP would buy it as well. I'm tempted to start a thread solely on the topic of how many would. Since there is a video, all we can do now is keep the conversation alive about it and hope that either NewCath or Dixie lets it happen somehow. Please, Please Please release a video, please.

I'd buy a copy in a heartbeat. Hope to God a video becomes available one day, and sooner than later. I bet many of us here on BGP would buy it as well. I'm tempted to start a thread solely on the topic of how many would. Since there is a video, all we can do now is keep the conversation alive about it and hope that either NewCath or Dixie lets it happen somehow. Please, Please Please release a video, please.

You can add me to the list. No doubt I would buy a copy of that game.