Questions for Those Who Have Quit Smoking

Hasbeen

I have been smoke free for around 6 months. I still crave them and get "short tempered" from the cravings, not as bad as at first but the cravings are still there.

I used the patches when I gave them up and it was a big help. Cravings are still there though. Good luck to you. :thumb:

Good luck to you Pepper! Keep the faith... I am smoke free for close to 6months after 25 years of smoking. The cravings will keep lessening over time, but remember at the beginning the average craving lasts for about 15-20 minutes and you have to fight that craving off. It is hard, but you can do it.

How much longer does it stay this hard. (I'm on day four). Will I ever be able to go out among the general public without the serious risk of punching someone out?

I will be off 7 years in December.

I stopped when I got the flu and was sick for about 5 days. I just never started again.

The following May at a Derby party I broke down and lit up but broke out into such a coughing fit I haven't wanted one since.

Once I got past day four it was smooth sailing for me. Day four was extremely difficult, though.

That's the kind of thing I was looking for. I need a target, a light at the end of the tunnel to shoot for. However, so far day four has been easier than three. Of course, the day ain't over yet either.

Thanks to all for your stories and encouragement. Keep 'em coming.

Keep up the good work.

Remember, it's a lifestyle change. You didn't get 'good at it' in four days!

I quit 3 years ago. It's tough. Probably one of the toughest things you can do, but you CAN do it. By the end of the 1st week, you should notice some changes.

Food will start to taste better (or actually TASTE)

Aromas will be more noticable.

Spicy stuff may be too spicy.

Have some cinnamon hard candies available to you. It fights the urge.

Keep up the good work.

Remember, it's a lifestyle change. You didn't get 'good at it' in four days!

I quit 3 years ago. It's tough. Probably one of the toughest things you can do, but you CAN do it. By the end of the 1st week, you should notice some changes.

Food will start to taste better (or actually TASTE)

Aromas will be more noticable.

Spicy stuff may be too spicy.

Have some cinnamon hard candies available to you. It fights the urge.

Tootsie Pops worked very well for me. I also agree with your other points made. I have gained some weight since I have given the smokes up though.

I have been quit about 8 years an the first 30 days or so was the hardest but it took about a year befor I really did't want one.Good Luck

That's not very encouraging.

OK, I'm into day five now. Day four was by far the least hard yet but was by no means easy.

To all you non-smokers whining about second hand smoke, stop it. Second hand smoke is great!

I'm still waiting for something good to happen physically. I've noticed no changes in breathing, smell, or taste. I'm sure there are some internal improvements, but nothing I can see or feel.

That's not very encouraging.

OK, I'm into day five now. Day four was by far the least hard yet but was by no means easy.

To all you non-smokers whining about second hand smoke, stop it. Second hand smoke is great!

I'm still waiting for something good to happen physically. I've noticed no changes in breathing, smell, or taste. I'm sure there are some internal improvements, but nothing I can see or feel.

Keep it up, the improvements will become more and more noticable. I still crave them at times but when I do I can honestly say that the cravings do not last as long. A few minutes later after a craving I have forgot that I wanted a ciggarrette. It gets easier but I am just being honest in that I still crave them.