Did I miss this on here? All-A tourney field to EXPAND?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did I miss this on here?

Thought is underway to up the enrollment figure cut-off so that more schools will qualify for the All-A tournment.

Seems the number of teams has dipped slightly because of consolidation etc. so moving up the figure is the only way to get the number of teams up.

That would be surprizing, as they have resisted changes in the past and stayed with the 425 and under limit for grades 10-12?? This results in about 120-125 eligible schools, which I think is about 40-45% of the BBall playing schools in KY. That should be enough to qualify for a "small school tourney" IMO, but its their tourney, and some areas struggle to get a true regional contest.

I agree with moving the number up slightly, when a school goes over about 3 -10 kids then they are not eligible for the All A it really hurts the kids. The chances of a small rural school making the sweet 16 is very small and is really an unrealisitc goal for most of these teams. I love this tournament and it gives some of the better players at these small school good exposure to possibly play at the next level.

Or of course we could go to system similar to football where state titles are more of a realistic goal.

The enrollment number needs to be reduced. There are too many teams already.

The All A goal is to have about 120 - 130 schools participate so that you can have large regional tournaments and the win will mean something. I do not understand your post, it is down to 112 already and continues to lose schools every year.

Maybe it is the way it is counted..Probably should use the entire population of the high School. You might have a large freshman class that is unusual that knocks out the school from participating when in total you are still as small as your neighbors.

I am for the 120 -130 schools involved.

I am also for the 120+ schools range! All they have to do is check the number in 10-12th grades and see what number would allow 120+ schools in the tourney. I know that is only 8 more schools or so from what they have now, but it would make a big difference just raising the number 25 students to 450 or something like that! Shouldn't be that big of a deal. A lot of the smaller schools have either closed or consolidated so we need to do something to adjust the number. Great idea if you ask me, would give those schools that miss the All A by a couple kids a chance to get to a state tournament that they probably would never have gotten to. Great chance for the kids. That is what is all about right? no, they are only doing it to see if they can make any more money by having more schools in it. But it will still help a lot of smaller schools and their kids out, no matter what the reasoning is for moving the number up. Still a good idea.

I do not think the numbers need to be reworked but the concept of the tourney. I went last year for the first time, and it just did not have the feel of a big tourney. Most district tourneys are more exciting. Just my opinion.
The regional tournament or the state tournament?

There are a few schools around the state that choose not to play in the tourney, does this skew the number of schools?
A few years ago, Russellville was the only boys' team eligible for the tournament that chose not to participate. After a coaching change, Russellville came back into the fold.

To my knowledge, there isn't a basketball team in the state that is eligible for the tournament that doesn't compete in the All A Classic.

I do not think the numbers need to be reworked but the concept of the tourney. I went last year for the first time, and it just did not have the feel of a big tourney. Most district tourneys are more exciting. Just my opinion.

It was crazy for our regional both boys and girls, and then the state tournament is really a great experience!

Our Boys was standing room only ( of course they had it at Eminience) and very exciting. Great Atmosphere for the kids.!

The All A goal is to have about 120 - 130 schools participate so that you can have large regional tournaments and the win will mean something. I do not understand your post, it is down to 112 already and continues to lose schools every year.

Maybe it is the way it is counted..Probably should use the entire population of the high School. You might have a large freshman class that is unusual that knocks out the school from participating when in total you are still as small as your neighbors.

I am for the 120 -130 schools involved.

They definitely should use 9-12 numbers. Very few high schools are limited to grades 10-12.

But it will still help a lot of smaller schools and their kids out, no matter what the reasoning is for moving the number up. Still a good idea.

It hurts the smaller schools by bringing bigger schools in, which takes it away from its original meaning.

It's turning into the All A-AA-AAA Classic.

There was nothing said when it started about having 120 schools every year. It was for the SMALL schools.