Did I miss this on here? All-A tourney field to EXPAND?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it should be set at 550 for grades 9-12.

What do you think, Westsider, is that number too low?

Using the current year average enrollments for grades 9-12, from the KHSAA website, 550 would get 110 +/- schools into the All "A" Classic. If it bumped up to 600 you would have 120 schools, including Shawnee, Owen County, Bath County, Leslie County, Todd County Central and Reidland, to name a few.

I think that 600 (9-12) would be a good number. Average wise that would be 150 students per class, which would make the magic student number under the old system 450, just a little above the current number.

Here is a link to the KHSAA report:

http://www.khsaa.org/reports/2006and2007averanegschoolenrollmentbyenroll.pdf

Using the current year average enrollments for grades 9-12, from the KHSAA website, 550 would get 110 +/- schools into the All "A" Classic. If it bumped up to 600 you would have 120 schools, including Shawnee, Owen County, Bath County, Leslie County, Todd County Central and Reidland, to name a few.

I think that 600 (9-12) would be a good number. Average wise that would be 150 students per class, which would make the magic student number under the old system 450, just a little above the current number.

Here is a link to the KHSAA report:

http://www.khsaa.org/reports/2006and2007averanegschoolenrollmentbyenroll.pdf

I think that would be a good number and a good size tournament.!

Why not take the enrollment numbers they have for Class A in football or combine both A and AA from football and make that the alignment for the tournament?

I still can't understand how teams are considered A for one sport and AA for another.

The All "A" Classic is not operated by the KHSAA. They did use the KHSAA numbers in 1990 to start the tournament, but the All "A" Classic is a separate organization.

If they just went with Class A football numbers now, I'm guessing they would only have about 80 teams.

• 3 weeks later...
Kentucky School for the Deaf doesn't participate in boys or girls. It conflicts with the Mason-Dixon tournament for deaf schools throughout the south. Otherwise, I know of no boys schools who don't play.

Kentucky Deaf boys and girls participated in the inaugural 12th Region All-A Classic in 1990. Garrard County beat KSD boys 100-55 and Monticello beat KSD girls 122-32.

KSD chose not to participate in this tournament thereafter.

It hurts the smaller schools by bringing bigger schools in, which takes it away from its original meaning.

It's turning into the All A-AA-AAA Classic.

There was nothing said when it started about having 120 schools every year. It was for the SMALL schools.

This is true.

I believe if they up the number to bring in more schools they will cause two things to happen:

1. It will no longer be what it was originally meant to be, a small school tournament. Instead of being an All A they will turn it into a 2A tournament. If that is their goal, so be it. But it will lead to the other problem...

2. Some of the lower enrollment schools that have been involved with the Classic from its beginning will begin to boycott, and not participate in the tournament.

JMHO

I am with HDE on most issues but especially this one. It is either "All A" or not. Expansion goes against the original idea and the positives brought on by the tourney. The sponsor or some new sponsors should start a 2A or 3A tourney, if that is the desire.

This is true.

I believe if they up the number to bring in more schools they will cause two things to happen:

1. It will no longer be what it was originally meant to be, a small school tournament. Instead of being an All A they will turn it into a 2A tournament. If that is their goal, so be it. But it will lead to the other problem...

2. Some of the lower enrollment schools that have been involved with the Classic from its beginning will begin to boycott, and not participate in the tournament.

JMHO

Exactly, this is why imo it should say the same. Especially since the numbers are good (120 teams isn't far from orignal number of total teams) and the tournament is still going strong. By making this a 2A school tournament it takes the origanal purpose out of the tournament as whole. If it aint broke then don't fix it.

Wait a while until numbers are down and there should be an actual reason for change. Then we'll have a better outlook on the situation and number of teams then we'll be more able to come to a final decision about change.

I like the idea of 9-12 around 450-500 when the time comes but not yet.

Exactly, this is why imo it should say the same. Especially since the numbers are good (120 teams isn't far from orignal number of total teams) and the tournament is still going strong. By making this a 2A school tournament it takes the origanal purpose out of the tournament as whole. If it aint broke then don't fix it.

Wait a while until numbers are down and there should be an actual reason for change. Then we'll have a better outlook on the situation and number of teams then we'll be more able to come to a final decision about change.

I like the idea of 9-12 around 450-500 when the time comes but not yet.

I thought the numbers were down and that is why the proposal? I am confused..they wanted to have the number of about 120 schools and they are down right now to about 113. Is that right?

I also thought they were trying to incorporate all 4 grades in the total to offset any issue with uneven class sizes skewing the schools eligibility.

Lunatic1: your right about the numbers are down, I misunderstood just a slight on that. I thought the involving 9-12 with 450-500 students were a good idea when the time is needed and I dont feel like it is now even since the number is just down 7 below the desired number. Adding some larger schools by changing the enrollment eventually will take away the purpose of the ALL A, IMO. By adjusting to the number of school(113) instead of the size of school means as smaller schools continue to consolidate larger schools are needed in a small school tournament. Something here doesn't make complete sense to me eventhough I understand to a point why adding schools and changing enrollment requirements would help.

I guess I'm confused a little also if an of this helped u out though then at least one of us are in a little better shape.