Trinity 67 St. Xavier 46

Before the outcry about Trinity's basketball success gets to far devolved, a couple of points:

This is Trinity's second ever trip to the Sweet 16

Trinity's first ever was 8 years ago.

I would hardly call those facts evidence of basketball domination.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before the outcry about Trinity's basketball success gets to far devolved, a couple of points:

This is Trinity's second ever trip to the Sweet 16

Trinity's first ever was 8 years ago.

I would hardly call those facts evidence of basketball domination.

RM

GREat points. A long long road to get here. Folks tend to forget all of those years we were getting whacked by the; Ballards, the J-town's & the Eastern's.

Enjoy the ride now.

Take State :ylsuper:

I just saw on twitter that a kid from St. X said that their student section meant every word of the racist chants that came for their student section last night. Wow. It was like that?

I'm inclined to write a lot of it off as "kids who don't know any better." Standing up for it after the fact is a problem. I refuse to believe that so many of them meant those things in that way, though that undertone was there.

In the end, they're frustrated with what's happened in the major sports this year and that frustration needed an outlet. When you run out of other things to talk about, you move to insults. Like the fella said: desperation is a stinky cologne.

I'm inclined to write a lot of it off as "kids who don't know any better." Standing up for it after the fact is a problem. I refuse to believe that so many of them meant those things in that way, though that undertone was there.

In the end, they're frustrated with what's happened in the major sports this year and that frustration needed an outlet. When you run out of other things to talk about, you move to insults. Like the fella said: desperation is a stinky cologne.

I tend to think that kids will be kids. They don't always use great judgement. The administrators at X that let it go on are at fault and should be held responsible. Contrast it with Dr. Mullin, Dan Zoeller and others walking the Trinity side and keeping the kids in line. I hope that the kids at X aren't learning that their school tolerates that behaviour.

That very well may be true. But from my vantage point - directly across from the X student body down on the floor - it definitively had an "ugly" tone to it. Frustrated or not - one would like to think their upbringing and more importantly the Catholic values that institution purports to instill - would not have permitted such epithets.

You cannot teach class.

That very well may be true. But from my vantage point - directly across from the X student body down on the floor - it definitively had an "ugly" tone to it. Frustrated or not - one would like to think their upbringing and more importantly the Catholic values that institution purports to instill - would not have permitted such epithets.

You cannot teach class.

I think you can teach it, but you have to try. I didn't see anyone from X trying to do anything about it. At the Trinity end they were very active in making sure our kids didn't get out of line. The X administrators could have stopped it anytime they wanted to. I have to tell you that if the Trinity kids had acted that way without any attempt to stop them, I would be asking some tough questions of the people that charge a lot of money to teach these kids to act better than that. I know a lot of St X people. They are better than that. I hope they are asking the administrators at X why they allowed that stuff to go on.

I think you can teach it, but you have to try. I didn't see anyone from X trying to do anything about it. At the Trinity end they were very active in making sure our kids didn't get out of line. The X administrators could have stopped it anytime they wanted to. I have to tell you that if the Trinity kids had acted that way without any attempt to stop them, I would be asking some tough questions of the people that charge a lot of money to teach these kids to act better than that. I know a lot of St X people. They are better than that. I hope they are asking the administrators at X why they allowed that stuff to go on.

This is the most disturbing part. I have no doubt that the Trinity students would have flown straight over the line and dived head first in the gutter given the opportunity but the faculty from Trinity nipped it quickly any time it started.

The personal nature of some of their chants reminded me of what Ballard students like to do. That's nothing to be proud of.

AT

I think you may be onto something :confused:. Last Thur. nite many of the X kids remained for the 2nd game and joined in with the B students to root and cheer against T [ which of course is their absolute right. Don't blame 'em - they probably knew what was coming].

But I bet some of the B "stuff" rubbed off on those X kids.:rolleyes:

WOW! Here is the latest I have heard from my son who graduated from T:

* The X student who admitted to the racist comments took his twitter massage down but not before a few kids had captured it (and now it is being shared through theoir facebook pages).

* The African-American students who started off in the X student section left that area and sat in a different part of the the gym.

* When T was going to the locker room (right in front of the X student section) there were chants of "Noose!" as well as the "N" word.

Frustration is one thing. A laissez-faire administration in the face of racism is quite another. I am MUCH more proud of the demeanor/disposition of the T faithful relative to the accomplishments on the floor.

WOW! Here is the latest I have heard from my son who graduated from T:

* The X student who admitted to the racist comments took his twitter massage down but not before a few kids had captured it (and now it is being shared through theoir facebook pages).

* The African-American students who started off in the X student section left that area and sat in a different part of the the gym.

* When T was going to the locker room (right in front of the X student section) there were chants of "Noose!" as well as the "N" word.

Frustration is one thing. A laissez-faire administration in the face of racism is quite another. I am MUCH more proud of the demeanor/disposition of the T faithful relative to the accomplishments on the floor.

SF

I couldn't agree with you more. Great point. Not only how you win - but also "how you loose." They should be ashamed.