Book Of John

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumb:

Last ones at the cross. First ones at the empty tomb.

You got that right buddy....A lot of men don't want women to be involved in the Church affairs, but what I have found out women sometimes are the backbone of the church. Paul wrote "they should be silent in Church", but he also gives thanks to many by name who had helped him doing the work of the LORD.

John is magnificent, at least partly because of how different it is from the three other canonical gospels. The style is certainly more mystical and perhaps more abstract than the others.

Verses 1-14 of the beginning of John's gospel are read at the end of the low form of the Tridentine Mass of the Roman Rite. Its place at the end of the mass has resulted in its being called "The Last Gospel."

Also brings to the interesting parallel with the Creed, as said earlier in the mass, with the respect shown to the miracle of the incarnation. During the Creed, all kneel or bow during the words "And was incarnate by the Holy Ghost of the Virgin Mary: and was made man." During the Last Gospel, all kneel during the words "and the Word became flesh..." The reverence to the incarnation is something very deep in Catholic tradition and is well observed in the mass itself; the Gospel of John is at the center of that reverence.

John is magnificent, at least partly because of how different it is from the three other canonical gospels.

Yes it is. I think the difference in style is because John wrote last, but also had a completely different approach in mind, & also because of the four gospel writers he had a deeper relationship with Jesus than any others. I do believe there is Scriptural evidence that Jesus & John were related/cousins. But that's a different topic.

For me personally, I like simplicity & action, which is partially why Mark is my favorite of the four gospels. But there's something about each of them that is very appealing. With Luke, it's the precision and thoroughness. With John, it's just how it's different from the other three. With Matthew, it's that it begins with a genealogy of names, all of which have checkered pasts & yet they are a part of Jesus' family tree.

John 4, Jesus and his disciples and John's were debating issues on Baptism, so Jesus left the area. He had to travel thru Samaria because of ths distamce. The Jews often avided samaria by going along the Jordan River. The hatred between the two was a long time. Intermarriage cause a lot of problems. Jesus din't have these feelings.

He met a woman at the Jacob's Well, she was surprised he even spoke to her as he asked her for her to pour him a drink of water. And as he did speak to her she was even more surprised that he knew all about her. I wonder if he knows all about us?

Yes he does. He asked her for a drink of water. She said to him why was he talking to her. He was a Jew and she was a Samarian. She also asked him how was he going to drink the water? The well was deep and he had nothing to draw it with. Jesus told her he wouldn't have done her that way. If she had asked him he would have given her water where she would never thirst again. She wanted this water. Jesus said go get your husband. She said I don't have one. Jesus told her she said well. Actually she had 5 husbands and the one she has now is not her husband.

Yep, she thought Jesus was a very good prophet. She tried to change the subject. She mentioned when the Messiah would come he would explain everything to us, Jesus told her "hold the Phone, Its Me!." Disciples showed up and asked Jesus, why you talking to her?

He stayed with them for two days, preaching and teaching. Many believed him and became followers and said ."He is the Savior of the World".

So, even a woman who had a troubled past can be useful in the Gospel being shared.

Interesting backstory on Mark. When Peter was supernaturally set free from prison one night, He went to a house where there were people praying for him...this was John Mark's house (or his mother's house to be exact). This is the same John Mark that Paul and Barnabus took with them on one of their missionary journeys. Now, John Mark did not finish out the trip, but went home instead. Paul was not at all pleased with him.

So much so, that when Paul and Barnabus were preparing for their next trip....Barnabus was determined to take John Mark with them, but Paul was having none of it. The disagreement was such that it caused Paul and Barnabus to part ways.

This is why I love Barnabus...he was such a great encourager...he believed in this young man, John Mark, to the point that he chose him over the apostle Paul. You really don't hear much from Barnabus after that, but we do get the benefit of his willingness to encourage people.

Fast forward to about 65 years after Jesus had left, and we find the church under tremendous persecution...Nero is having the christians to be eaten by lions ...just for sport. Somebody needed to do something to help this people to remember what they were dying for. Into this enters a man who writes the story of Jesus to remind them that the Man who lived not so long ago really is the Messiah...the only Son of God. He wrote down what Jesus said and what Jesus did and gave that to the persecuted church as a life line.

The man who wrote all of that down? The same John Mark who Barnabus refused to part with.

Oh, the things he wrote down? We know it as the Gospel according to Mark...wow!

Edited by twenty4seven

Verse 19, "I tell you the truth, the Son can do nothing by himself. The Son only does what the Father is doing." In the next few verses Jesus talks about the Father. About 12 of them.

30, I cannot judge alone, only the way I am told". I try to please the one who sent me". These verses plainly show that Jesus and God are seperate. But again they are the same. God is Jesus as a human. Later in John we see the third person (person) of the Holy Spirit. Which is Jesus still with us.

39, The Jews at that time didn't understand Jesus as he really was. He was rejected by them as we all know.

45 Jesus tells them that Moses was wrong. This is so important becaause this goes back to the Law of Moses which was done away with and Jesus being the new Law which we see in Galatians and Hebrews and so many people just miss that so much.

Even Christians I speak with still don't under stand the Old Law being nailed to the cross. The Old Testament is NOT our guide for daily living, its like a history book.