Rules Question

Waldo

Player passes the ball to another player, the pass should be caught because it's a good pass, the player drops the ball and catches it on the dribble, holds the ball and then begins to dribble again. I've seen it called a double dribble and then I've seen it not called at all. What is it?

I believe it depends on how the ball goes to the floor. If the player "forces" it to the ground, like a dribble, then it would be a double-dribble. If he "muffs" it and it goes to the ground, then he catches and dribbles, then it's not a double-dribble. Hopefully an official can confirm this.

I've seen it called both ways. Quite a few times this year. If it's a judgement call then that explains it.

Somewhat of a judgement call but very rarely is a case where the player is controlling it to the floor ie dribbling. It's almost always a muff which means he/she can gain control and then dribble.

Great question. I asked this very thing of an official in the 16th region. He told me something to the effect that it's a judgement call and if a controlling "bounce" is used to gain possession, then he's able to start the dribble. If the "bounce" was deemed to be after he gained possession of the pass, it will be called a double dribble. He went on to say that he never called it if the attempt to control the pass was done with one hand.

You guys are probably right but I just think the call is missed a lot. As someone mentioned , it is a judgement call. Clyde ,what I meant was kids with bad hands have more trouble catching the ball , so the drop the ball more often.

You guys are probably right but I just think the call is missed a lot. As someone mentioned , it is a judgement call.

To be honest I rarely see it missed. I actually see a double dribble called when it should not be more than the opposite scenario.

Do you see a contrast in how games are called in different regions. I see a lot of 10th and 16th region games and it seems refs call closer in the 16th than they do in the 10th. I'm not saying they're bad but called different.

Do you see a contrast in how games are called in different regions. I see a lot of 10th and 16th region games and it seems refs call closer in the 16th than they do in the 10th. I'm not saying they're bad but called different.

Not really. I think fans in general think the officials call it too tight on their team and not tight enough on the opponent.

I watched multiple 9th region games yesterday and none of the games were called like the others.

I have seen this type of play quite a few times already this year in college games. Ball is passed to a player a little off target, player receiving the pass reaches out with one hand to gain control of ball with a one bounce "dribble" (usually in a controlling manner), receiving player then grabs the ball with both hands after the one bounce, then sets himself and starts his dribble. I have not seen double dribble called one time. That is college games, not high school.