Rules Question

Waldo

I have seen this type of play quite a few times already this year in college games. Ball is passed to a player a little off target, player receiving the pass reaches out with one hand to gain control of ball with a one bounce "dribble" (usually in a controlling manner), receiving player then grabs the ball with both hands after the one bounce, then sets himself and starts his dribble. I have not seen double dribble called one time. That is college games, not high school.

I do not possess a college rulebook but my assumption is that the rule is the same.

I saw it happen twice last night at the Warren Central and Clark Co game. One was definitely a double dribble but was not called. The player actually caught the ball ,put it on the floor, picked it up ,held it and then started dribbling the ball again. No call.

I saw it happen twice last night at the Warren Central and Clark Co game. One was definitely a double dribble but was not called. The player actually caught the ball ,put it on the floor, picked it up ,held it and then started dribbling the ball again. No call.

What does "put it on the floor" mean?

If the player receiving the ball bounces it twice, does that then make it a double dribble if they grab the ball then start to dribble again? For example, a pass is thrown into the post. The player reaches out to stop the pass and it bounces off his hand a little away from him. He reaches for the ball with one hand to gain control and bounces it to bring it to him. So now the ball has hit the floor twice off his hand. He then grabs the ball with both hands to finally get control of the ball, set himself and prepare to make a move. He gets set, looks around, decides to make a move to the basket and dribbles the ball. Is that double dribble? Does it make a difference if the ball bounces twice instead of once before the player grabs the ball?

Catch it, hold it , put it on the floor(dribble it) pick it up ,hold it and dribble it again. Everyone in the gym was shouting at the ref about a no call.

Gotcha. I didn't know if you meant he dribbled or you meant he dropped it.

That's different than the original rule asked about but , unfortunately, it happens. No excuse but it does happen. I once was standing in front of a bench and somehow missed what seemed like an obvious double dribble to the coach. He kindly said "I think you just missed it." I said "you might be right."

If the player receiving the ball bounces it twice, does that then make it a double dribble if they grab the ball then start to dribble again? For example, a pass is thrown into the post. The player reaches out to stop the pass and it bounces off his hand a little away from him. He reaches for the ball with one hand to gain control and bounces it to bring it to him. So now the ball has hit the floor twice off his hand. He then grabs the ball with both hands to finally get control of the ball, set himself and prepare to make a move. He gets set, looks around, decides to make a move to the basket and dribbles the ball. Is that double dribble? Does it make a difference if the ball bounces twice instead of once before the player grabs the ball?

I understand that but the question is, does he have control of the ball when his hands first touch the ball. I could have control of the pass when the ball hits my hand but I slap it on the floor anyway, pick it up and hold it and then start dribbling it again. It would be a no call but yet ,I had control of the pass when it first hit my hand. I do see this a lot, probably at least 20 times this season already. I saw it called once.

I understand that but the question is, does he have control of the ball when his hands first touch the ball. I could have control of the pass when the ball hits my hand but I slap it on the floor anyway, pick it up and hold it and then start dribbling it again. It would be a no call but yet ,I had control of the pass when it first hit my hand. I do see this a lot, probably at least 20 times this season already. I saw it called once.

I think it was stated earlier that this call if often a "judgement" call on what is demonstrating control. Think in terms of advantage gained, control of the ball from a pass into a dribble, provided it demonstrates control, is player control. At times it can be viewed different. Guess it depends on your angle and position on the floor at times :thumb: