Southgate House in Newport, KY is closing for good on Jan. 1

nky_harry

Anyone care to take a stab at what their favorite show there has been?

Already said it above: The Dismemberment Plan during their farewell tour in 2003. The whole show was done by request. Absolutely amazing.

Seeing Ratatat there in 2005 is probably No. 2. They weren't the headliner, but after paying for that ticket, I left before The Clinic even went on stage. :lol:

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite show has to be seeing Bon Iver play there back in early '08. I hadn't heard of him, but was flat out amazed by the show. I'd give high marks to both of the times I saw Isbell play there, as well as Yo La Tengo and Damien Jurado.

Isbell was great last night. I enjoyed his show I saw earlier in the year with The 400 Unit accompanying him but last night was several notches above that.

Isbell was great last night. I enjoyed his show I saw earlier in the year with The 400 Unit accompanying him but last night was several notches above that.

I had a feeling he would be. I wanted to go down for the show but after an entire day of air travel on Saturday and the associated jet lag, I just couldn't make myself do it with work looming in the morning. Man, I reeeeeeally wanted to go to that.

Any one of the half-dozen or so V-Roys shows I saw there. You really should make it to that show Dec. 27. You'll thank me later.

North Mississippi All-Stars a couple years ago was great. Saw the Bottle Rockets there and it was really good as well. Saw Iris Dement do a great show -- before the show, she apologized in advance if her voice sounded rough, as she had been up late drinking whiskey the night before, then proceeded to belt out vocals that still chill me to the bone.

V-Roys tickets go on sale this morning at 10:00...about an hour and ten minutes from now.

Apparently a few weeks back, Ross Raleigh (owner/operator of the SGH) paid a local engineering firm to perform a feasibility study of the electrical, mechanical, and plumbing systems at a vacant church in Newport. The study came back with good results, and the plan is to be moved there as soon as possible in 2012. Ross is hoping to reopen at the new location as soon as February. ...this according to a friend of mine who works for the engineering firm.

Raleigh's sister and her husband (who own the Brass _ _ _ adult club in Newport) are coming away with legal ownership of the building, and have plans to try to renovate the Southgate House building and sell or lease it on terms that it remain as a venue of some sort...so we'll see how that goes.

Any one of the half-dozen or so V-Roys shows I saw there. You really should make it to that show Dec. 27. You'll thank me later.

North Mississippi All-Stars a couple years ago was great. Saw the Bottle Rockets there and it was really good as well. Saw Iris Dement do a great show -- before the show, she apologized in advance if her voice sounded rough, as she had been up late drinking whiskey the night before, then proceeded to belt out vocals that still chill me to the bone.

Almost forgot — the first time I saw Drive-By Truckers was there. Needless to say, it made a good impact, as I've been to about a half-dozen DBT shows over the years.

Just bought my ticket.

Apparently a few weeks back, Ross Raleigh (owner/operator of the SGH) paid a local engineering firm to perform a feasibility study of the electrical, mechanical, and plumbing systems at a vacant church in Newport. The study came back with good results, and the plan is to be moved there as soon as possible in 2012. Ross is hoping to reopen at the new location as soon as February. ...this according to a friend of mine who works for the engineering firm.

Raleigh's sister and her husband (who own the Brass _ _ _ adult club in Newport) are coming away with legal ownership of the building, and have plans to try to renovate the Southgate House building and sell or lease it on terms that it remain as a venue of some sort...so we'll see how that goes.

There was a blog post about relocating to a vacant church near the intersection of 6th & Monmouth in Newport. It only seats about 250-300, which is half the capacity of the SGH Ballroom. Plus, there wouldn't be multiple rooms for music. I think if they want to continue the SGH vibe (which includes national acts and multiple rooms) they'll need a bigger space. I think they should buy and renovate the old Thriftway store in Newport. Lots of room and plenty of off street parking.

It's fun spending other people's money! :D

ETA: Link to blog mentioned above: http://www.eachnotesecure.com/more-southgate-house-rumors/