Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Southgate House in Newport, KY is closing for good on Jan. 1

Featured Replies

I want to see Unknown Hinson, for all the wrong reasons.

  • Replies 112
  • Views 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I want to see Unknown Hinson, for all the wrong reasons.

 

I caught him once on one of the occasions where I had nothing going on and decided, "Hey, I'll just head down to the Southgate House and see whatever band is playing." ...uncomfortable is the word that comes to mind :lol:

I caught him once on one of the occasions where I had nothing going on and decided, "Hey, I'll just head down to the Southgate House and see whatever band is playing." ...uncomfortable is the word that comes to mind :lol:

 

I bought one of his CDs a few years ago for laughs, in addition to being a fan of the late-night adult swim cartoons on Cartoon Network, so I catch him on the "Squidbillies" show. The voice is just amazing.

 

"Could it be?!?! Party Liquor Rain?!?!"

They've got an album of photos on their Facebook page with some cool pictures of the interior during the renovations. Looks like it will be an awesome venue. To say I'm excited would be an understatement.

 

I've been down to Southgate House Revival a few times now. They've got an every-Tuesday event called "Devout Wax" where they have a couple of DJ's bring in turntables and their record collections to spin, and anyone is invited to bring their own vinyl to contribute in a kind of "open mic night" of sorts. Pretty cool. I've also been to an art show opening, and a couple of shows in the second floor "Revival Room".

 

Much like the original SGH, it's a triple venue: the Sanctuary, the Revival Room, and the Lounge. Both the Revival Room and the Lounge are larger than the old ones were. The Sanctuary is slightly smaller, but I don't see it presenting too much of a problem. I believe overall the Sanctuary is still pretty comparable to the likes of Headliners in Louisville.

 

Here's a look at the Sanctuary. The picture is kinda poor quality (taken on my phone), but it's a pretty cool space. They're currently in a back and forth "make money from shows, spend it on improvements, make money from shows, apply it towards getting bigger acts" balancing act, so the venue isn't at 100% completion yet. It's still gonna be a pretty fantastic replacement to the original SGH, aka Thompson House...which, by the way, is floundering under the management, and is now taking to closing for days and weeks at a time between its forgettable-at-best shows.

 

SGH.jpg

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.