Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Southgate House in Newport, KY is closing for good on Jan. 1

Featured Replies

  • Replies 112
  • Views 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Horrible. Saw my favorite show of all-time there in 2003: Dismemberment Plan on their last tour. Went there a lot in the years when I was 18-24.

Sadly, from what I hear the closing is probably a result of a family ownership squabble and not because the business is failing.

Bummer...it is a historic landmark in Newport.

 

I saw Drive By Truckers and Slobberbone there in 2004 and it was awesome. I hope they relocate somewhere in NKY.

  • Author
You are the first person I've ever "met" who'd heard of Southern Culture on the Skids! Do they still do the song "Banana Pudding"? LOVE that song!

 

Oh yeah! :banana: I'm a bit of a newcomer to SCOTS. I heard stories of them throwing fried chicken out to the audience at shows, but have never witnessed it myself. :cry:

Oh yeah! :banana: I'm a bit of a newcomer to SCOTS. I heard stories of them throwing fried chicken out to the audience at shows, but have never witnessed it myself. :cry:

 

I was at one of those shows. :lol: That was back in the day. They handed out banana pudding back in the day too. :D Love them. The remind me of the B-52's...fun, fun, fun!

Sadly, from what I hear the closing is probably a result of a family ownership squabble and not because the business is failing.

 

I'm pretty sure that's it. My uncle owns the place and my cousin helps him manage it. I think there's a disagreement with his sister.

 

I used to go there sometimes as a kid and play in the big room where the concerts during the day. I always thought it was a cool place. Great place to see a show. It is sad that it will be closing.

You are the first person I've ever "met" who'd heard of Southern Culture on the Skids! Do they still do the song "Banana Pudding"? LOVE that song!

 

Don't be too sure about that …

I'm pretty sure that's it. My uncle owns the place and my cousin helps him manage it. I think there's a disagreement with his sister.

 

I used to go there sometimes as a kid and play in the big room where the concerts during the day. I always thought it was a cool place. Great place to see a show. It is sad that it will be closing.

 

Indeed. Sure wish I could see the V-Roys there one more time for old time's sake. Oh well, at least I have memories. Foggy, whiskey-soaked ones, but memories nonetheless.

They will open back up but likely somewhere in Cincinnati.

Sad news for Newport; was a great place to go and hang out, as well as listen to good music.

  • Author
I'm pretty sure that's it. My uncle owns the place and my cousin helps him manage it. I think there's a disagreement with his sister.

 

I used to go there sometimes as a kid and play in the big room where the concerts during the day. I always thought it was a cool place. Great place to see a show. It is sad that it will be closing.

 

5wide, I'm hearing that they are hoping to relocate to another venue. Any insight on that, that you would be willing (or allowed) to share?

  • Author

Update at Cincinnati.com: http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20111129/NEWS01/111300320/Owners-say-Southgate-will-remain-music-venue?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

 

A day after the Southgate House announced that it would close at the end of the year and relocate, the couple who are the majority owners of the building told said they hope to keep the building open as a live music venue.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.