Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Southgate House in Newport, KY is closing for good on Jan. 1

Featured Replies

Don't be too sure about that …

 

I wouldn't think they were worthy of your listen. :lol: Forgive me if I misjudged you. :D

  • Replies 112
  • Views 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5wide, I'm hearing that they are hoping to relocate to another venue. Any insight on that, that you would be willing (or allowed) to share?

 

No idea really. I don't know much about the disagreement. Just heard them mention it on occasion, but not much more than that.

Always makes for a fun Christmas when brother sues sister.

I wouldn't think they were worthy of your listen. :lol: Forgive me if I misjudged you. :D

 

C'mon now, you should know something that offbeat is right in my wheelhouse.

 

"Been snackin' all night/it's all right all right/got an 8-piece box"

 

Used to play them regularly on my radio show back in the day.

Indeed. Sure wish I could see the V-Roys there one more time for old time's sake. Oh well, at least I have memories. Foggy, whiskey-soaked ones, but memories nonetheless.

 

Somebody must've been listening. The V-Roys announced today they'll be doing a Dec. 27 show at SGH. Needless to say, I'm thrilled! :dancingpa

I've spent my last couple of weeks visiting my lady-friend in Wales, and I got the news while I was over there. The words, "deflated" and "crushed" come to mind.

I doubt I'll get to, but I'd love to make it out for the V-Roys reunion show at the Southgate House.

  • Author
Anyone care to take a stab at what their favorite show there has been?

 

Saw The Bears (psychodots+Adrian Belew). One of those shows where I went in not really familiar with their music, but was blown away!

 

Same thing with Southern Culture on the Skids, and a guy named Robbie Fulks.

 

That was the beauty of Southgate House. You could go to see someone and if they're playing the ballroom, you know they are going to be good at what they do. Might not be your cup o' tea, but good talent nonetheless.

Anyone care to take a stab at what their favorite show there has been?

 

Any one of the half-dozen or so V-Roys shows I saw there. You really should make it to that show Dec. 27. You'll thank me later.

 

North Mississippi All-Stars a couple years ago was great. Saw the Bottle Rockets there and it was really good as well. Saw Iris Dement do a great show -- before the show, she apologized in advance if her voice sounded rough, as she had been up late drinking whiskey the night before, then proceeded to belt out vocals that still chill me to the bone.

Any one of the half-dozen or so V-Roys shows I saw there. You really should make it to that show Dec. 27. You'll thank me later.

 

North Mississippi All-Stars a couple years ago was great. Saw the Bottle Rockets there and it was really good as well. Saw Iris Dement do a great show -- before the show, she apologized in advance if her voice sounded rough, as she had been up late drinking whiskey the night before, then proceeded to belt out vocals that still chill me to the bone.

 

I'm planning on making the V-Roys show. I'm a pretty big fan of Scott Miller already. That show seems like a good way to finish out my experiences at the Southgate House.

My favorite show has to be seeing Bon Iver play there back in early '08. I hadn't heard of him, but was flat out amazed by the show. I'd give high marks to both of the times I saw Isbell play there, as well as Yo La Tengo and Damien Jurado.

Saw The Bears (psychodots+Adrian Belew). One of those shows where I went in not really familiar with their music, but was blown away!

 

Same thing with Southern Culture on the Skids, and a guy named Robbie Fulks.

 

That was the beauty of Southgate House. You could go to see someone and if they're playing the ballroom, you know they are going to be good at what they do. Might not be your cup o' tea, but good talent nonetheless.

 

Did they sing "Fear is never boring"? What a great tune!

Did they sing "Fear is never boring"? What a great tune!

 

I don't think those guys are allowed to do a show without playing it. It's kind of like their "Freebird."

  • Author
Did they sing "Fear is never boring"? What a great tune!

 

Yep. Like Jim said, they had to do it.

 

That song was the only one I knew going in. Had it on the WEBN Album Project. Dating myself now...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.