What is Highlands' secret?

woodsrider

Jolmstead, with that post you have officially insulted my wife who is a teacher at Highlands Middle School. Not one sentence in that post had facts in there. You have over-stepped your bounds attacking our education program of which you obviously know nothing about. Have you ever heard of a National Blue Ribbon of Excellence? You need to get more facts before you post your fifth post ever on here.

Edited by FTBIGBIRD

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a few independant schools and a few private schools that have great success in football, so some folks think that is what makes the difference. 'Throw them all into one league by themselves and the rest of us can play for our own championship. I don't think you realize how many private schools and independants don't have that level of success. What do you do with Bishop Brossart? Well let's put them in a district w/ Trinity. All of them private schools are the same right! How about Dayton Independant Schools, Newport Independant Schools, or Covington Independant Schools, those schools have all of the advantages, with being indepandant districts and all. Bunch a kids going to independant schools, driving Cadillacs around and having every imaginable advantage over everyone else.

You need to learn the demographics of your state before making such generalizations.

Just want to clarify...any public school district in Kentucky, independent or county, can charge tuition to any non-resident who wants to attend their schools. They are not required to accept tuition students unless they so choose. They can also put some parameters on accepting and retaining those students. Highlands, and my guess is Beechwood would be similar, does not offer any scholarships for tuition.

Independent and County School districts fall under same laws and regulations. Independent districts are not private schools. There are really no differences between the two. Independents typically fall in a city limits versus an entire county. Funding formula from the state is the same for both.

harry, county public schools can also accept out of district students. There is zero difference between independent public schools and county public schools that I am aware of. Certainly none that would impact the quality of football team put on the field.

Thanks for the clarification guys. That's why I said "I think..."

I totally agree with FTBIGBIRD's last post.

HHS is always criticized for it's out of district student athletes. Have any of you critic's ever looked into the amount of out of district students at Dixie for example, and how many of those are student athletes? There are a TON. Out of district don't have to pay tuition as long as they are Kenton County. They also accept out of county which do pay some tuition. Out of district and county have to be accepted on condition of grades and conduct. HHS requires the same, BW must take a test. HHS doesn't take just anyone out of district, and neither does Dixie, but you would be amazed at how many student athletes at Dixie do NOT live in-district. This encompasses all sports from football, to soccer, softball, track, etc. Prime example is Mr Auburn himself. Not bashing, just stating a fact. He lives in Scott's school district. They had a choice, like everyone in NKY.

We had a choice, luckily. We went for the top notch education first, (how many other schools offer an AP class as a freshman?), secondly, we love the community and everything it does for the school district. You just do not get that with a county school for the most part. Thirdly, comes the sports. Best coach in NKY. No way were we passing that up. I will go for a motivational coach over and ranting and raving on any day. HHS was the best fit for us.

Guest Birdflu
I totally agree with FTBIGBIRD's last post.

HHS is always criticized for it's out of district student athletes. Have any of you critic's ever looked into the amount of out of district students at Dixie for example, and how many of those are student athletes? There are a TON. Out of district don't have to pay tuition as long as they are Kenton County. They also accept out of county which do pay some tuition. Out of district and county have to be accepted on condition of grades and conduct. HHS requires the same, BW must take a test. HHS doesn't take just anyone out of district, and neither does Dixie, but you would be amazed at how many student athletes at Dixie do NOT live in-district. This encompasses all sports from football, to soccer, softball, track, etc. Prime example is Mr Auburn himself. Not bashing, just stating a fact. He lives in Scott's school district. They had a choice, like everyone in NKY.

We had a choice, luckily. We went for the top notch education first, (how many other schools offer an AP class as a freshman?), secondly, we love the community and everything it does for the school district. You just do not get that with a county school for the most part. Thirdly, comes the sports. Best coach in NKY. No way were we passing that up. I will go for a motivational coach over and ranting and raving on any day. HHS was the best fit for us.

Dale has even won National Coach of the Year before. So I guess that makes him one of the best coaches in the nation.

Guest Birdflu
Please pardon my lack of memory...no disrespect intended. :thumb:

Just thought I would point that out. Dale is still the best coach in Northern Kentucky.

Just thought I would point that out. Dale is still the best coach in Northern Kentucky.

Just northern ky? I know there are some powerhouses in the schoool mainly Trinity and usually X, but they have the pick of the litter for the boys. My vote would be the best in the state at least.

Football gate receipts are used on all sports not just football. Even more money when the team goes to playoffs and then state. What other sport comes close to generating that kind of money? Actually, basketball does fair with it's gate receipts. I'm sure if basketball could get to the Sweet Sixteen that would be a pretty nice cash flow. For now however, football gate receipts are certainly helping provide for all other sports.
I doubt there are 4 schools in the state that can finance their football teams with gate receipts much less other sports. A small 1A school will need probably $40,000-50,000 a year to maintain a football team.

It seems KSHAA is stuck on male student population size as a predictor of success. There is a much stronger predictor of success and that is whether or not a high school selectively chooses student athletes. I congratulate Beechwood, Cov Cath and Highlands on their long term success. However, these schools do not educate students with IEPs or section 504s. Nor do they make scholarships available to just anyone who shows up their door.

Public schools do not get the opportunity to erect barriers to students they would rather not educate. This being the case, the pool that public school programs draw from is actually a small sub set of the total population. Furthermore, it is extremely rare for an athlete(at least in football) to move into the district of a public school system for athletic purposes. The bottom line is that public school football programs cannot compete on a consistent basis with private and independent school programs.

What is needed is a separate classification of competition for private and independent schools in which they are all classified together regardless of student population and play for one championship, while public schools are left to compete on a level playing field according to existing standards based upon student body size.

:cry:

Yeah, because Beechwood competing with Trinity would solve a fairness issue. You can't be serious.

The more I read that post the funnier it gets. It enraged me at first but now I just take it for what it is. It is just someone who, out of jealousy or envy or spite chose to slander the great Fort Thomas school District in hopes to get a rise out of someone. I regret that I granted that.

Jolmstead, with that post you have officially insulted my wife who is a teacher at Highlands Middle School. Not one sentence in that post had facts in there. You have over-stepped your bounds attacking our education program of which you obviously know nothing about. Have you ever heard of a National Blue Ribbon of Excellence? You need to get more facts before you post your fifth post ever on here.

Little known fact about this award......once you get it you keep it, even if your school goes in the "crapper" down the road. However I don't see that happening at Highlands.