What is Highlands' secret?

woodsrider

Financially it has a very positive effect on baseball, basketball and just about everyother sport at Highlands.

What would you say it provides financially? Does this provide something more than other programs have? If so, shouldn't that create a competitive advantage? I'm not seeing that.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would you say it provides financially? Does this provide something more than other programs have? If so, shouldn't that create a competitive advantage? I'm not seeing that.

Football gate receipts are used on all sports not just football. Even more money when the team goes to playoffs and then state. What other sport comes close to generating that kind of money? Actually, basketball does fair with it's gate receipts. I'm sure if basketball could get to the Sweet Sixteen that would be a pretty nice cash flow. For now however, football gate receipts are certainly helping provide for all other sports.

Football gate receipts are used on all sports not just football. Even more money when the team goes to playoffs and then state. What other sport comes close to generating that kind of money? Actually, basketball does fair with it's gate receipts. I'm sure if basketball could get to the Sweet Sixteen that would be a pretty nice cash flow. For now however, football gate receipts are certainly helping provide for all other sports.

No different than anywhere else. What does the success of the football team provide, that isn't provided at other schools with less successful football teams? I agree that football drives cash flow. But two things, it's not like HHS has crazy larger crowds at the home games, and I doubt if any more money is being doled out to the other programs than you would find at other schools. I've seen the buses the football team rents to go to away games, and I have also driven basket ball players to away games due to no transportation being provided. I have volunteered at the soccer field to help fund team functions. I have volunteered for the girls bball program, but I 'm not sure volunteer is the word as every parent in the program is expected to serve. It's the only way these programs can make it. I also have volunteered for football things, such as painting the stands. Happy to do it. by having such a scope, and it has been a couple of years, I agree with Clyde, especially pertaining to boys athletics.

No different than anywhere else. What does the success of the football team provide, that isn't provided at other schools with less successful football teams? I agree that football drives cash flow. But two things, it's not like HHS has crazy larger crowds at the home games, and I doubt if any more money is being doled out to the other programs than you would find at other schools. I've seen the buses the football team rents to go to away games, and I have also driven basket ball players to away games due to no transportation being provided. I have volunteered at the soccer field to help fund team functions. I have volunteered for the girls bball program, but I 'm not sure volunteer is the word as every parent in the program is expected to serve. It's the only way these programs can make it. I also have volunteered for football things, such as painting the stands. Happy to do it. by having such a scope, and it has been a couple of years, I agree with Clyde, especially pertaining to boys athletics.

I don't think Mason Co. Football is contributing awhole lot to other sports. Basketball yes , football no.

Other schools have other sports that contribute more to the athletic kitty than football. All I'm saying is at Highlands, football is the cash flow.

As for the buses, I don't think renting a 52 passenger bus to take 25 players and coaches to Bball games makes sense. Do you?

Next time you get the school facts check out the athletic budget section.

It seems KSHAA is stuck on male student population size as a predictor of success. There is a much stronger predictor of success and that is whether or not a high school selectively chooses student athletes. I congratulate Beechwood, Cov Cath and Highlands on their long term success. However, these schools do not educate students with IEPs or section 504s. Nor do they make scholarships available to just anyone who shows up their door.

Public schools do not get the opportunity to erect barriers to students they would rather not educate. This being the case, the pool that public school programs draw from is actually a small sub set of the total population. Furthermore, it is extremely rare for an athlete(at least in football) to move into the district of a public school system for athletic purposes. The bottom line is that public school football programs cannot compete on a consistent basis with private and independent school programs.

What is needed is a separate classification of competition for private and independent schools in which they are all classified together regardless of student population and play for one championship, while public schools are left to compete on a level playing field according to existing standards based upon student body size.

Oh for Pete's sake Crunch and Henry, take it to the PMs. We have a great thread going about the positive things that help make Highlands' football a success and you all want to get all negative with things. :p:D

I actually thought I was being positive when Clyde pointed out the downside to football was its impact on Baseball and basketball, I pointed out that it helps baseball , basketball and other sports positively financially.:idunno:

It seems KSHAA is stuck on male student population size as a predictor of success. There is a much stronger predictor of success and that is whether or not a high school selectively chooses student athletes. I congratulate Beechwood, Cov Cath and Highlands on their long term success. However, these schools do not educate students with IEPs or section 504s. Nor do they make scholarships available to just anyone who shows up their door.

Public schools do not get the opportunity to erect barriers to students they would rather not educate. This being the case, the pool that public school programs draw from is actually a small sub set of the total population. Furthermore, it is extremely rare for an athlete(at least in football) to move into the district of a public school system for athletic purposes. The bottom line is that public school football programs cannot compete on a consistent basis with private and independent school programs.

What is needed is a separate classification of competition for private and independent schools in which they are all classified together regardless of student population and play for one championship, while public schools are left to compete on a level playing field according to existing standards based upon student body size.

You are very misinformed regarding Beechwood and Highlands. They are part of independent school districts, but they are still public schools, falling under all the same rules, laws and regulations as every other district in the state. Again, they are not private schools. They must (and do) educate all students, including those with IEP's.

Why is it that people keep thinking that Highlands is a private school?

ETA: I think one of the only differences between independent and non-independent public schools is that independents can take tuition students. There may be other differences. Does anybody know what they may be, and would they be a factor in the strength of a football program?

You are very misinformed regarding Beechwood and Highlands. They are part of independent school districts, but they are still public schools, falling under all the same rules, laws and regulations as every other district in the state. Again, they are not private schools. They must (and do) educate all students, including those with IEP's.

ETA: I think one of the only differences between independent and non-independent public schools is that independents can take tuition students. There may be other differences. Does anybody know what they may be, and would they be a factor in the strength of a football program?

Absolutely correct! Beechwood has many students on IEP's with several teachers dedicated to educating in this area. Yes, Beechwood is more selective regarding tuition students due to there being limited space available in the school. There are some entrance requirements for tuition students and not everyone gets in. My guess is less than 10% of the students at Beechwood are tuition students. Beechwood, like Highlands, is a public school just like any other public school. These two just happen to be very, very good public schools with great academics that attracts tuition students.

:rolleyes:

Just want to clarify...any public school district in Kentucky, independent or county, can charge tuition to any non-resident who wants to attend their schools. They are not required to accept tuition students unless they so choose. They can also put some parameters on accepting and retaining those students. Highlands, and my guess is Beechwood would be similar, does not offer any scholarships for tuition.

Independent and County School districts fall under same laws and regulations. Independent districts are not private schools. There are really no differences between the two. Independents typically fall in a city limits versus an entire county. Funding formula from the state is the same for both.

I don't think Mason Co. Football is contributing awhole lot to other sports. Basketball yes , football no.

Other schools have other sports that contribute more to the athletic kitty than football. All I'm saying is at Highlands, football is the cash flow.

As for the buses, I don't think renting a 52 passenger bus to take 25 players and coaches to Bball games makes sense. Do you?

Next time you get the school facts check out the athletic budget section.

I'm going down the path with LN here. I shouldn't have let myself get sucked into this anyway. One last thing. Back in the day, when I laced up the high tops. we always had a bus, and the basketball program was pretty good.

harry, county public schools can also accept out of district students. There is zero difference between independent public schools and county public schools that I am aware of. Certainly none that would impact the quality of football team put on the field.