Fear 'Les' 13th Region Ratings

Les

Well, this is what I had in today's edition of the Times-Tribune.

It's really hard to say who is No. 2-10 in the boys.

I've been doing this for three or four weeks and each week I've had a new No. 2...

Boys Top 5

1. South Laurel (7-1)

What’s the scoop: When it comes to beating 13th Region teams, no one has done a better job than South Laurel.

The Cardinals are 6-0 against 13th Region opponents while putting together an impressive 39 point margin of victory during the process.

Surprise, surprise: The Cardinals continue to get impressive play from trio Ty Proffitt, Jordan Hammonds and Walt Allen. Proffitt continues to show he’s one of the best point guards in the state and Allen continues to show he’s the best player in the 13th Region and the state.

What’s ahead: South Laurel will travel to Wake Forest University next week to participate in a tournament.

2. North Laurel (4-3)

What’s the scoop: For the third consecutive week, we have a new No. 2. To be honest, I believe we might have a new No. 2 each week until the 13th Region Tournament begins in March. So this week, Jim Conway’s Jaguars have the honor and if they don’t start to show some type of consistency, they’ll have a short stay.

Surprise, surprise: North Laurel’s Shanade Allen got out of his scoring slump and scored 20 points against Mason County on Tuesday. Look for Allen to continue to improve as the season progresses.

What’s ahead: Things aren’t going to get any easier for North Laurel. The Jaguars will get to enjoy a couple of days off before participating in the 5th/3rd Bank Classic on Dec. 26. Their first round game will be against Trinity.

3. Cawood (5-3)

What’s the scoop: The Trojans are losers of two in a row, but their wins over Corbin, Bell County and Barbourville are what keeps them at the No. 3 spot.

Surprise, surprise: The most surprising thing about Cawood is the fact the Trojans posted an 0-2 record in the First National Bank Hoopin-It-Up Classic.

What’s ahead: Cawood will be back in action Dec. 27 in the Hazard Invitational.

4. Barbourville (5-2)

What’s the scoop - The Tigers are struggling, but I’m going to give them a week to straighten things out. Barbourville lost two in a row, but scoring machine Matthew Cox has been sick. Look for him to recover along with Barbourville.

Surprise, surprise: I was really shocked when I found out Cox was held to zero points in the Tigers’ 44-36 loss to Somerset on Tuesday. Granted, he’s still probably in the recovery mode after being sick.

What’s ahead: Barbourville will look to get back on track next week in the Cumberland Falls Invitational. If the Tigers can turn in a solid effort next week, then look for them to move up in the polls.

5. Corbin (4-3)

What’s the scoop: The Redhounds will only get better as the season progresses. Corbin struggled against South Laurel, but got back on track against Lewis County on Tuesday.

Surprise, surprise: If the Redhounds are going to be successful this year, then Ryan Swim will have to step up. He did that against Lewis County on Tuesday with a 20-point effort.

What’s ahead: Corbin will host the Cumberland Falls Invitational next week with hopes of winning its seventh CFI championship.

The Best of the Rest

No. 6 Clay County (4-2)

What’s the scoop: The Tigers lost two of their last three games - including a 63-62 loss to Perry Central. Many believe Clay County will be up-and-down the entire season. I don’t believe so.

Look for the Tigers to begin to hit stride in mid-January. Clay County will play Jackson County today before participating in the Berea Invitational beginning Dec.27.

No. 7 Bell County (5-2)

What’s the scoop: The Bobcats lost on Tuesday to Lee County, but did manage to pick up a 65-52 win over Harlan last week. Bell County will be in action next week against Perry Central in the Cumberland Falls Invitational.

No. 8 Pineville (5-0)

What’s the scoop: The Mountain Lions continue to have a perfect record and will remain in this spot until they lose a game.

Pineville is better than many people believe, but its weak schedule could turn out to hurt the Mountain Lions in the long run. Pineville has two more games in the Bethlehem Eagle Classic.

No. 9 Harlan (5-2)

What’s the scoop: I thought Harlan would be doing better than this, but it is early in the season. The Green Dragons will play Williamsburg Dec. 30.

No. 10 Lynn Camp (6-2)

What’s the scoop: The Wildcats are winners of three in a row, but don’t be surprised to see Knox Central in this spot if Lynn Camp falters any time soon. Anthony Pennington’s Wildcats will host Evarts Dec. 27 before participating in the First City of Danville Classic beginning on December 29.

Girls Top 5

1. Clay County (7-1)

What’s the scoop: In my opinion, Clay County needs to worry about two teams in the 13th Region - Corbin and Whitley County. The Lady Tigers are having a fantastic season so far.

Surprise, surprise: Jayme Gilbert is leading Clay County with an 22-point average and has hit on 49-of-81 shot attempts this season. She has also connected on 36-of-46 shot attempts from the free throw line. Maleah Roberts has hit on 20-of-31 shot attempts.

What’s ahead: The Lady Tigers will be in action on Dec. 27 when Clay County will play in the Boyle County Classic.

2. Corbin (8-0)

What’s the scoop: The Lady Redhounds continue to impress. Corbin is off to its best start in recent memory and will give Clay County a run for its money come March.

Surprise, surprise: Corbin’s Mikkah Rogers scored 14 points in Tuesday’s win over Conner. Rogers has the ability to take over games.

What’s ahead: The Lady Redhounds will hit the road again next week and will play in the Farmers Bank Snowball Classic. Corbin will be tested early against Woodford County in the first round.

3. Whitley County (6-2)

What’s the scoop: The Lady Colonels had a good showing in the Berea Invitational and looks to continue its impressive play next week in the First Priority Classic.

Surprise, surprise: Stephanie McCullah scored 23 points in Whitley County’s 57-38 win over Western Hills Tuesday.

What’s ahead: Larry Anderson’s squad will play in the First Priority Classic next week. After the tournament, Whitley County will be off until Jan. 6 when the Lady Colonels will host Corbin.

4. Bell County (7-3)

What’s the scoop: Bell County posted a 2-2 record in the Berea Invitational with wins over Richmond Model and Estill County.

Surprise, surprise: The Lady Bobcats had trouble scoring during their stay in Berea. Bell County managed to score over 50 points once during the tournament and was held to a season-low 42 points in its 60-42 loss to North Hardin.

What’s ahead: Bell County will play in the First Priority Classic next week before hosting Middlesboro Jan. 6.

5. Knox Central (7-1)

What’s the scoop: The Lady Panthers have won seven in a row and look to extend their streak next week in the First Priority Classic.

Surprise, surprise: Wendi Messer continues to give a solid effort for the Lady Panthers, but she is also getting a lot of help from her teammates.

What’s ahead: Knox Central will participate in the First Priority Classic next week and will be back in action Jan. 2 against Hazard. The Lady Panthers are a team to watch out for.

The Best of the Rest

No. 6 North Laurel (5-4)

What’s the scoop: The Lady Jaguars continue to improve. North Laurel is a young team and will grow as the season progresses. Ron Smith has North Laurel heading into the right direction. The Lady Jaguars will be back in action Dec. 27 in the Boyle County Classic.

No. 7 South Laurel (2-5)

What’s the scoop: South Laurel is off to its worst start in recent memory. The Lady Cardinals are young and have been hit by injuries. South Laurel will be back in action Jan. 5 in a district game with Williamsburg.

No. 8 Barbourville (5-4)

What’s the scoop: The Lady Tigers were held to only 16 points against Whitley County, but got back on track with two wins in the Berea Invitational. Barbourville will host Red Bird Dec. 31.

No. 9 Middlesboro (5-5)

What’s the scoop: The Lady Yellow Jackets continue to be inconsistent, but picked up two wins in the Berea Invitational this past week.

No. 10 Jackson County (7-2)

What’s the scoop: The Lady Generals are winners of four of their last five games and will be a major threat once district tournament time comes along.

Les Dixon is the Sports Editor and can be reached at ldixon@thetimestribune.com. The Fear ‘Les’ 13th Region boys and girls ratings will be published in every Thursday edition of the Times-Tribune.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm satisfied with where you have Knox Central. The boy's record does not merit a higher ranking but the steady improvement they're showing does bear keeping an eye on.

Seven wins in a row including, I think, two tournament championships is impressive for the Lady Panthers. Wendi Messer is proving to be among the top players in the region.

Jennifer Parsons has a fantastic team and Corbin has a legittimate shot at winning the region, but until a 13th Region team beats Clay, the Lady Tigers are No. 1. Clay beat Corbin in the pre-season, but the Lady Hounds were without Sutton and another player and I'm sure neither team showed too much on defense either.

Clay lost to a good Ballard team last night.

Jennifer Parsons has a fantastic team and Corbin has a legittimate shot at winning the region, but until a 13th Region team beats Clay, the Lady Tigers are No. 1. Clay beat Corbin in the pre-season, but the Lady Hounds were without Sutton and another player and I'm sure neither team showed too much on defense either.

Clay lost to a good Ballard team last night.

Thanks, and I appreciate your opinion! By the way, I always read your newspaper articles and many of your posts. Keep up the good work. :thumb:

Does the Ladyhounds have any games remaining at Boone Co.?

Thank you. I appreciate your kindness. If you're a Lady Hound fan, don't be surprised to see them in the regional finals and anything can happen if you get that far. I do know this, in my opinion, this is the best Corbin girls' team I've seen in a while.