Things that will change really soon

jahearme

In the next meeting of the KHSAA Board of Control, a couple of things are going to change. In my opinion, these changes will be good for high school athletes and I think all parties will agree they are fair. Here's what will happen:

1. There will be limitations on "scholarships" for those students going to private schools. They will still be able to receive some aid, but not like it is today. After all, remember people, it's high school, not college.

2. The private schools will have a set number of middle schools they can draw from, unlike today. It is my understanding that Trinity draws students from 76 different middle schools in the area. If you are a county school, you can see the disadvantage there, beig that you only get kids from one (or maybe two) middle schools in your county.

3. If a student does decide that he/she would still like to attend a private school after going to a public middle school, they will have to sit out of participation AND practice for one full year. So, for example, if a kid goes to Tates Creek middle school his 8th grade year and decides he wants to go to Lexington Christian his 9th grade year, they will not be able to participate in ANY athletic competition.

These are the things that will change. What do you think about them?

1. Tell us what "not like it is today" means.

2. Private schools as in Catholic private schools do not draw from middle schools they draw from grade schools and that means nothing to Chrisitan private schools who in many cases have no specific grade or middle schools to draw from.

3. Does not address many other scenarios. For example, students whose families are members of a Catholic parish and choose to attend a Catholic high school after attending a public grade/middle school. Or private grade school students who choose to attend a public high school, or students who transfer to a private school after the 7th grade.

I guess I just don't get the argument in football. Other than Trinity and X's dominance in 4A which there is no fair answer too, where are the Private schools dominating in football? I think so many people have talked about it and caused a stir that people just jump on board without a real reason. What does "not like it is today" mean? Scholarships or financial aide means free High School in the Private School. Aren't Public schools free to students? What is the difference? Free is free am I right or not? What happens to the kids that play for private schools at the middle schoool level but go to a public high school? What happens to all the kids in a place like Jefferson Co where one school can "draws from 76 middle schools in the area?" Do the Public schools get to still draw from all those schools and the Privates can't now or what?

I guess I just don't get the argument in football. Other than Trinity and X's dominance in 4A which there is no fair answer too, where are the Private schools dominating in football? I think so many people have talked about it and caused a stir that people just jump on board without a real reason. What does "not like it is today" mean? Scholarships or financial aide means free High School in the Private School. Aren't Public schools free to students? What is the difference? Free is free am I right or not? What happens to the kids that play for private schools at the middle schoool level but go to a public high school? What happens to all the kids in a place like Jefferson Co where one school can "draws from 76 middle schools in the area?" Do the Public schools get to still draw from all those schools and the Privates can't now or what?

It does not mean free high school to privates...it just means half price...at the most! Half price at my school is $4000 a year. Some benefit...$4000 Vs. free for publics..

In the next meeting of the KHSAA Board of Control, a couple of things are going to change. In my opinion, these changes will be good for high school athletes and I think all parties will agree they are fair. Here's what will happen:

1. There will be limitations on "scholarships" for those students going to private schools. They will still be able to receive some aid, but not like it is today. After all, remember people, it's high school, not college.

2. The private schools will have a set number of middle schools they can draw from, unlike today. It is my understanding that Trinity draws students from 76 different middle schools in the area. If you are a county school, you can see the disadvantage there, beig that you only get kids from one (or maybe two) middle schools in your county.

3. If a student does decide that he/she would still like to attend a private school after going to a public middle school, they will have to sit out of participation AND practice for one full year. So, for example, if a kid goes to Tates Creek middle school his 8th grade year and decides he wants to go to Lexington Christian his 9th grade year, they will not be able to participate in ANY athletic competition.

1. How is getting half your tution paid for when there is a legimate need, any different than going for free in high school Serisously Public school backers crack me up on this issue. No matter how you spell kids are still paying to go to a Catholic school than they would a private.

If this also addresses students going from private middle schools to public high schools, then it makes sense. But if this just addresses students going from public middle schools to private high schools, then it's arbitrary & capricious.

What is a scholarship? Isn't it money given to a student to pay for an education? If I live in Boyd County in the Ashland School district and I decide to send my son to Russell High School in Greenup Co., and I don't pay taxes in the county or the school district isn't my son receiving a scholarship if I don't have to pay his tuition? I am not pointing fingers, this is just an example. Or aren't all public giving all students a scholarship paid by the taxpayers? Can someone please explain why it is not the same. I have no problem with the rule. I just think it should be equally enforced.

Let's examine these points.

Scholarships are a different animal than financial aid. This may be the most inaccurately perceived issue on the table. I'm interested to hear the details you can provide as to the changes to be made in the determination of financial aid for students. I'll wait for the details before I judge the veracity of the "compromise"

Fun fact....Trinity and X compete with the JCPS high schools for students. I have no idea where you get the number of 76, unless you're including the Catholic grade schools. Unless there is a comparable restriction on the number of middle/grade schools the publics are allowed to draw from, this is NOT a "compromise".

Interesting, and no surprise, as it was discussed on the KET program I watched involving Mr. Wilson Sears and Dr. Rob Mullen. Has the counter-point been addressed to include private school students who choose to attend public high schools. By the way, Mr. Sears, the constitution does not guarantee a child the rights to play sports in public schools....it guarantees the right to a education free of charge.

I think that if these proposed compromises are exactly as you've stated, there will be no resolution anytime soon.

If this also addresses students going from private middle schools to public high schools, then it makes sense. But if this just addresses students going from public middle schools to private high schools, then it's arbitrary & capricious.

As well as independents accepting students outside district. If changes are going to be made, NOW is the time to setup guidelines for EVERYONE that are truly equal.

Athletics is not considered when determining a family’s level of financial aide at Trinity. So I think we can agree to something that puts a limit on the number of pure "football scholarships" we give, because we don't do this now.

Every school in Jefferson County can draw kids from the same area as Trinity. It is called open enrollment. It has been shown that schools like Manual can accept kids from outside of Jefferson County, including Indiana. So, if there is a limit on Trinity, the same limit will need to be applied to the other schools. But as you saw from the TV debate, the Public School Separatists do not want to limit themselves in this fashion.

As long as it goes both ways, I think it is possible. For example, if a kid goes to a Catholic grade school in 8th grade, and then enrolls in a public school for the 9th grade, they will have to sit out of participation AND practice for one full year. Again as you saw from the TV debate, the Public School Separatists do not want to limit themselves in this fashion. And I really don't think this rule would hold up in court.

From what I understand, EVERY school in KY will have a geographical region that they can receive students. Along with this, schools (public and private) will not be able to reach over state lines to get students into their schools. As for students jumping county lines, I have not heard anything about that.

Also, I understand the viewpoint of each of you and I respect that opinion. I just want you all to know what is going to be brought to the table at the next KHSAA meeting. If there is something you do not agree with, be sure to let someone in a higher place than myself know about it.