Why didn't Henry Clay do better???

jbwill2

Lot of good points here. But something that I haven't seen mentioned that 02ram54 and I agreed on this past weekend was the lack of depth that HC had. More specifically, too many of their key players (Johnson, Minnifield, Simpson, Gardner) went both ways.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lot of good points here. But something that I haven't seen mentioned that 02ram54 and I agreed on this past weekend was the lack of depth that HC had. More specifically, too many of their key players (Johnson, Minnifield, Simpson, Gardner) went both ways.

Didn't Senn, Donnell, Spoelker, Hollin, Hutter and Roby go both ways for Trinity?

Johnson play sparingly at defensive tackle early in the year.

Minnifield began playing a little offense beginning in the middle of the year.

Simpson only played safety beginning in the South Laurel game.

Gardner played defensive end in the last two games.

Chris Hawkins (OT) and Matt Breen (OT) played defense in the last two games.

Jermaine Birch (C/NG) and Case Allin (OG/LB) were the only two-way performers the entire year.

Coach Simpson wanted to two-platoon, but as they advanced deep into the playoffs, he realized his only chance of winning it all would be if he let the horses play.

Many teams do: Henry Clay, Manual, X, Fern Creek, Ballard...

With all due respect to everyone...I didn't see any of these teams play, but I feel safe in saying that when Trinity and X step on the football field to play high school teams in KY, they are rarely....very rarely, the lesser talented of the two.

I suspect T's talent was better than Henry Clay's, but I could be wrong.

I had the pleasure of watching Henry Clay three times. I did not see Trinity play this season, although I did last season. Trinity was obviously the better team between the two, however If they were more talented then HC I would have had to see it to believe it. HC was absolutely loaded with "raw" talent. A very impressive HS team from a talent standpoint. That is not taking anything away from Trinity. Afterall football is a team game and individual talent is not the only thing needed to win a ball game. If it was there would be no upsets. However, if Trinity was more talented then I would have had to see it to believe it. HC has at least 6 or so players with the ability to play Division 1 (whether it be single A or AA) football. That doesnt mean these players will play at that level since alot more factors play into that, but one thing HC wasnt lacking was talent. Trinity was the better football team, HC had the most talented athletes.

With all due respect to everyone...I didn't see any of these teams play, but I feel safe in saying that when Trinity and X step on the football field to play high school teams in KY, they are rarely....very rarely, the lesser talented of the two.

I suspect T's talent was better than Henry Clay's, but I could be wrong.

There's more to being a great skills position player than raw talent, or Ryan Leaf would be starting in the NFL.

I guess the difference is Trinity can take a piece of coal and turn it into a diamond, HC just gets the diamond and does not know what to od with it.Ram, Senn and Donnell went pretty much every down and the linemen were in about 90% of the time.