Why didn't Henry Clay do better???

jbwill2

In response to the thread question, Henry Clay has always had tremendous individual talent on their team, but have lacked TEAM discipline and focus. This year they managed to hang together for a much longer period than normal, but they lost it in the Lafayette and trinity games. This behavior pattern eminates from the top down.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Losing to the eventual state champ deep in the playoffs isn't too bad in my eyes.

But it is if you field a team with more talent and ability than your opponent, and still lose (quite handily, I might add)!

If indeed HC had more talent than T, which many are saying they did this past year, then from an outsider's perspective, some changes need to be made at HC, or they'll NEVER get to a 4A title game again!

But it is if you field a team with more talent and ability than your opponent, and still lose (quite handily, I might add)!

If indeed HC had more talent than T, which many are saying they did this past year, then from an outsider's perspective, some changes need to be made at HC, or they'll NEVER get to a 4A title game again!

Oh JB stop. It couldn't be that there are any deficiencies at HC which caused them to lose to T. Everything is perfect at HC; every coach is the best around; every player is totally committed to maximizing their talent and potential; every administrator at the school is totally supportive of athletics. The problem is that T is a private school. Haven't you learned anything in listening to the proposal 20 supporters?

Oh JB stop. It couldn't be that there are any deficiencies at HC which caused them to lose to T. Everything is perfect at HC; every coach is the best around; every player is totally committed to maximizing their talent and potential; every administrator at the school is totally supportive of athletics. The problem is that T is a private school. Haven't you learned anything in listening to the proposal 20 supporters?

OUCH!!! :lol:

OUCH!!! :lol:

I know that I was a little harsh. Sorry HC supporters. But if what a lot of folks say is true about HC having so much talent on the team,it does kind of undermine what a lot of proposal 20 supporters say about the private schools having these advantages that attract all the talent away from the public schools. And the Bowling Green supporters talk about how talented their kids are and the fact they just had a bad game against LexCath. Well, that may be true or it may be that there are "deficiencies" there also (I don't know honestly). What I seem to take away from this year's state competition is that if HC and BG had played up to their talent level, then perhaps there is only one private school state champion instead of three and all the proposal 20 supporters lose the wind out of their sails. Heck didn't John Hardin come very close to beating X which gave T all they could handle? To me it seems that only NCC was considered to be much more talented than the competition they played during the playoffs (and they did get beat by Beechwood, a public school during the season). To me this year's state championship results were not a ringing endorsement of what Proposal 20 is about; actually quite the contrary.

I think HC did pretty well this year. They did better than all but two teams in 4A. They had to travel into a tough stadium in the semi-final and got defeated by the eventual champion. That sounds like a pretty good senario to all but a couple of programs this year. I thought they were a pretty darn good team, even if they did come out of the east bracket. :rolleyes:

:lol:

I think HC did pretty well this year. They did better than all but two teams in 4A. They had to travel into a tough stadium in the semi-final and got defeated by the eventual champion. That sounds like a pretty good senario to all but a couple of programs this year. I thought they were a pretty darn good team, even if they did come out of the east bracket. :rolleyes:

:laugh:

Ditto :thumb:

So you are saying they played up to the talent potential? And that Trinity was just more talented, with better athletes than HC?

As far as Henry Clay's lack of parlaying their outstanding talent into a state championship, I am going to blame it on experience. Henry Clay had not been in that position of the state semi-finals in over ten years. Trinity and St. X are there every year and I truly believe their players and coaches have developed a comfort level with the competition at championship time. It looked to me the Trinity players and coaches knew they were going to win that ballgame. Just like what Coach K has instilled in the Duke basketball players. That is the result of Pride, Loyalty, Discipline, and Achievement over many years. It doesn't happen overnight.

I love this post, in so many ways.