Who wins?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like they went 10-3 last year.

FWIW, Maxpreps has them ranked 154th in the nation.

I believe they can give scholarships to players given that they are in Division II but will defer to rollredroll or others more famiar with Tennessee football's schism.

I think the Rocks win in this one, even given the peculiar officiating seen in Tennessee in years past.

24-14

Brentwood Academy is ranked 3rd in Tennessee (all classes) behind Maryville and Alcoa. They are ranked 1st in their class A2. Because they are in A2 I believe that does mean that they provide financial assistance to students.

In 2006 I saw Brentwood, lay the wood, on Manual 49-6. Neither X nor T beat Manual by that spread that year. Obviously all those players are long gone, but I was impressed with the coaching and overall organization of the team. I'd bet they are amoung the elite of TN football every year. Certainly both schools will learn a lot as the night rolls on. After seeing the Trinity scrimmage Friday they have the weapons to win for sure. WR Noe will still be out and Sugg out for the year. Hope that is all the injury gods choose to take away from the formula. Crystal ball says Trinity 27 - Brentwood 17.

If they are 3rd in Tennessee, then a victory at their place would be quite an achievement, IMO.

As an aside, I don't think Trinity has shown to date the full inventory of plays involving Mr. Quick, that is, in their Green-White scrimmage or the HHS scrimmage. This is just my feeling. I am not an insider.

Here is the preseason preview from calpreps.com, for whatever that's worth.

TENNESSEE #1 >>

Brentwood Academy (Brentwood, TN)

GENERAL

Nickname: Eagles

Colors: Red/White/Blue

Coach: Ralph Potter

League: Division II AA - East/Middle

Playoff Division: II-AA

Playoff Division Rank*: #5

RETURNERS

Returning Offensive Starters: 5

Returning Defensive Starters: 4

2010 JV Record: 3-3

Starting Quarterback Returning: no

Top Running Back Returning: no

Top Receiver Returning: no

Top OL Returning: yes

Top Defender Returning: yes

TOP PLAYERS

Graham Shuler 6'5" 265 Senior OL 5.10 [stanford]

Woody Baron 6'2" 255 Senior DE/OL 4.60

Radir Annoor 5'9" 190 RB 4.50

D1 PLAYERS LOST TO GRADUATION

Derek King 5'11" 195 Senior ATH 4.5 [Vanderbilt]

William Beaird 6'0" 185 Senior DB 4.50 [Navy]

Nathan Renfro 6'2" 200 Senior K [Maryland]

Matthew Hamby Senior QB

STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES

Team Strengths: Line Play

Team Weaknesses: Inexperienced Secondary, Young QB

RATINGS

2010 Final Power Rating: 55.1

2010 National Rank: #107

2010 State Rank: #5

General Personnel (Back/Lost) Rating Adjustment*: -4.5

D1 Talent (Back/Lost) Rating Adjustment*: -0.7

Reg Season Schedule Strength Downward Rating Adjustment*: -1.2

2011 Starting Power Rating*: 48.7

2011 National Rank*: #150

2011 State Rank*: #9

Dynasty Rating (Average 2003-2010 Rating): 49.6

Dynasty National Rank: #65

2011 Rating vs. Dynasty Rating Comparison*: better by 0.3

Dynasty Record: 48-15 (25-8 in league)

HISTORICAL

2010 Overall Record: 10-3

2010 League Record/Finish: 5-2 (tied for 3rd)

2010 Points For Average: 40.2

2010 Points Against Average: 17.3

2010 Differential: +22.9

2010 Wins: #283 Bell Academy [Montgomery] (Nashville) (35-7), #288 Olive Branch (MS) (46-14), #625 Battle Ground Academy (Franklin) (49-23), #730 Memphis University (Memphis) (42-24), #1299 McCallie (Chattanooga) (51-21), #1466 Father Ryan (Nashville) (45-7), #2927 Kingsbury (Memphis) (48-38), #3182 Pope John Paul II (Hendersonville) (42-0), #3182 Pope John Paul II (Hendersonville) (56-21), #5214 Southwind (Memphis) (55-8)

2010 Losses: #28 Ensworth (Nashville) (21-14), #28 Ensworth (Nashville) (20-19), #138 Baylor (Chattanooga) (21-20)

2010 Opponents W-L: 83-69

Recent State Championships: 2006 (II-AAA)

Recent League Championships: 2003 (tied for 1st; Division II AAA)

Winning Streak Entering 2011 Season: none

SCHEDULE

2011 Schedule:

8/19 Trinity (Louisville, KY)

8/26 at Maplewood (Nashville)

9/2 at Bell Academy [Montgomery] (Nashville)

9/9 Stratford (Nashville)

9/16 at Pope John Paul II (Hendersonville)

9/30 Baylor (Chattanooga)

10/7 at Battle Ground Academy (Franklin)

10/14 at Father Ryan (Nashville)

10/21 Ensworth (Nashville)

10/28 McCallie (Chattanooga)

Highest-Rated 2011 Regular Season Opponents*: Trinity (Louisville, KY) (66.7), Ensworth (Nashville) (62.4), Baylor (Chattanooga) (57.7)

Lowest-Rated 2011 Regular Season Opponents*: Stratford (Nashville) (7.1), Pope John Paul II (Hendersonville) (25), Father Ryan (Nashville) (28)

2010 Regular Season Schedule Strength: 30.9 (38.4 overall)

2011 Regular Season Schedule Strength*: 42.5

2011 vs. 2010 Schedule Strength Comparison*: +11.6

2011 Regular Season Schedule Strength State Rank*: #1

2011 Regular Season Schedule Strength National Rank*: #17

2011 Projected Regular Season Record*: 6-4

2011 Projected League Finish*: 5th

2011 Undefeated Regular Season Probability*: less than 1%

Opener: 8/19 Trinity (Louisville, KY) [projection: 35-20 loss]

-CardinalsFan

Trinity should be fine in this game.

I watched FC play Brentwood Academy in the 7 on 7 Music City Classic at Vanderbilt last month. Little FC with a freshman QB stood flat-footed and tore-up the Brentwood Academy defense. I don't know if it was becasuse it was the first game of the morning or if Brentwood Academy didn't take FC seriously, but FC had no problem with Brentwood Academy in the 7 on 7 format, FC won by at least two scores.

I know 7 on 7 is not real football, but if Trinity can go vertical with the passing game - Brentwood Academy will have no answer.

Trinity should be fine in this game.

I watched FC play Brentwood Academy in the 7 on 7 Music City Classic at Vanderbilt last month. Little FC with a freshman QB stood flat-footed and tore-up the Brentwood Academy defense. I don't know if it was becasuse it was the first game of the morning or if Brentwood Academy didn't take FC seriously, but FC had no problem with Brentwood Academy in the 7 on 7 format, FC won by at least two scores.

I know 7 on 7 is not real football, but if Trinity can go vertical with the passing game - Brentwood Academy will have no answer.

I was more impressed with T's running game , although they did not try to pass vertically during the Highlands scrimmage . The running backs for Trinity , will be a handfull for anyones defense. They hit the line very hard and bounce off would be tacklers like they weren't there. Short passing game and screen passes seem to make decent yardage , and the wide recievers have good vision and are also very tough to bring down. Lots of weapons and one missed tackle could mean six points for Trinity. All the opponents can do is play their own perfect game and hope Trinity has a bad game and turn the ball over a couple of times. If your playing Trinity , bring your A game , your going to need it !

In all fairness to Brentwood Academy , don't know much about them , other than their history and what has been posted on this thread . I hope both teams have a great game and have no injuries to either team. Good luck to both teams !

Someone sent me this:

In TN, Division 2 is for Private and Scholarship Granting. Brentwood Academy is 1 of 12 teams in Division 2, Class AA (large schools). In D1, Class AA, there are 8 teams in the East/Middle Region and 4 more in the West Region. They lost to Einsworth (Nashville) in the finals last year. Most predictions have them 2nd again this year (along with Baylor in Chatt.) to Einsworth.

There are also 14 more schools in Division 2, Class A (smaller schools). TN Private schools that do NOT grant scholarships (ex: Goodpasture HS, David Lipscomb HS, etc.) may remain in Division 1 (a.k.a. "Public"). The high school I am involved with is in Division 1, Class 5A (of 6 classes) in Division 1, much like KY except our district contains both 5A & 6A teams (don't ask!). Class A & 2A are mixed in District play as are Class 3A & 4A. However, when playoff time rolls around you are seeded and play within your Class only!

Our 8-team District has 5 5A teams plus 3 6A teams. Wins or losses against those 6A teams go toward determining your District record but you do not play them again in the playoffs. And you thought KY had some strange rules! Love the site, keep up the great work!