August 2, 201115 yr One of the greatest receivers to ever play the game retired yesterday. It was a sad day for me as Randy Moss is my all time favorite NFL player and is neck and neck with Kobe Bryant as my all time favorite athletes. I probably harder for Randy than Kobe because I do believe Randy makes a tremendous and more believable argument for where he should stand in history. With Kobe you know he is right behind MJ, at best, on the all time shooting guard list. Randy's place is muddier. I personally think Randy is better than the Rice guy and would take Randy before the Rice guy. Yes, I watched 98% of the Rice guy's career. I do believe Randy was a better receiver. I understand why the Rice guy is perceived to be better and I am fine with that. I get it. Don't agree, but I get it. Randy should he a first ballot Hall of Famer but there is a chance his reputation may sully that moment. He finishes with 954 receptions, 14,858 yards and 153 touchdowns. I do hope that he comes back and surpasses 1,000 receptions, 15,000 yards and 175 touchdowns. Either way, it was a sad day knowing it is time for me to name a new favorite active NFL player(Aaron Rodgers). Watching Toy Story 3 didn't make it any easier.
August 2, 201115 yr Why do you disrespect Rice by calling him "the Rice guy" numerous times? As for Randy Moss...great athlete, terrible attitude for the most part. "I play when I want to play"...give me a break. But what he did in New England was special and fun to watch.
August 2, 201115 yr http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/michael_rosenberg/08/02/randy.moss/index.html?xid=cnnbin&hpt=hp_bn10
August 2, 201115 yr Author Why do you disrespect Rice by calling him "the Rice guy" numerous times? Lots of reasons..... 1. I do not like him and when I do not like an athlete I disrespect him. He's just another receiver to me not some football demigod because he happened to play for 35 years thus making every receiving record untouchable. 2. Because he is treated as reverently as MJ was and I despise that and I despise MJ also.(sorry...lol) 3. To get under people's skins. I can be antagonistic sometimes. It's all in fun though. I thought calling him the Rice guy would be funny. It's not like we don't know who he is and that he's the greatest ever blah, blah, blah, blah.....lol
August 2, 201115 yr His rookie season in the NFL was must watch television. It seemed like every play Cunningham would just throw the ball up and Moss would score again on another 50 yard bomb. He suited up for 13 seasons but really only played I would say 50% of the time. Think about his rookie team in Minnesota and his first year in New England, he went a combined 31-1 during the regular season and 34-3 overall. I do not think his teammates ever disliked the guy, but he was a problem in all other facets. Should have been hands down the greatest receiver of all time with a case to be the greatest player but never had that kind of desire... and he still put up amazing numbers. "Straight cash, homey" is one of the greatest sports' quotes of all time.
August 2, 201115 yr Imagine what his #'s he'd have put up had he put forth any effort in Oakland...But Rice was all class and I personally am very glad a thug like Moss didn't break any of Jerry Rice's records!
August 2, 201115 yr ESPN tweeted this last night, kinda funny timing... "To me, it was never about what I accomplished on the football field. It was about the way I played the game." Lots of reasons..... 1. I do not like him and when I do not like an athlete I disrespect him. He's just another receiver to me not some football demigod because he happened to play for 35 years thus making every receiving record untouchable. 2. Because he is treated as reverently as MJ was and I despise that and I despise MJ also.(sorry...lol) 3. To get under people's skins. I can be antagonistic sometimes. It's all in fun though. I thought calling him the Rice guy would be funny. It's not like we don't know who he is and that he's the greatest ever blah, blah, blah, blah.....lol No worries, I like the conversation and the debate. But I think when you talk about Moss vs. Rice you have one thing that seperates them...heart. Jordan and Rice are treated they way they are because they worked as hard as possible to be as good as they were and had the numbers/accolades to prove how hard they worked. Moss is a great player, but for me it will be hard not to always think that he didn't fully live up to his potential because he didn't give it his all, self-admittingly.
August 2, 201115 yr Author Imagine what his #'s he'd have put up had he put forth any effort in Oakland...But Rice was all class and I personally am very glad a thug like Moss didn't break any of Jerry Rice's records! It's obvious you don't know what a thug is...lol. Randy Moss is not a thug. Please tell me how he is a thug.
August 2, 201115 yr Great play but his legacy will be forever tainted with the what if tag. Amazingly he could have been eve better.
August 2, 201115 yr Author I'll definitely admit that Randy didn't give his all some of the time and it affected his reputation in a bad way.
August 2, 201115 yr I'm not an NFL guy but Moss is possibly my favorite NFL player of all time. Mainly for two reasons. 1. During his early Minny days and with New England I had my most enjoyable NFL watching experiences during his team's offensive sets. 2. For the following exchange: Thiede: "Write the check yet, Randy?" Moss: "When you're rich, you don't write checks." Thiede: "If you don't write checks, how do you pay these guys?" Moss: "Straight cash, homey."
August 2, 201115 yr Author http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/michael_rosenberg/08/02/randy.moss/index.html?xid=cnnbin&hpt=hp_bn10 That is a great article. Thanks for sharing.
August 2, 201115 yr That is a great article. Thanks for sharing. I thought you would appreciate it PP92.
August 2, 201115 yr An announced said last night that Moss is "arguable one of the best receivers ever." Arguably? What is the argument?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.