Top Complexes in NKY

gamer31

I cant understand how the carpet holds up. The university here in Louisville has a turf field that includes the mound and the plate. I would think the rubber, landing spot for the pitchers and both of the batters boxes would be shot in a hurry. I wonder how that works?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant understand how the carpet holds up. The university here in Louisville has a turf field that includes the mound and the plate. I would think the rubber, landing spot for the pitchers and both of the batters boxes would be shot in a hurry. I wonder how that works?

I thought the same thing about pitcher's mound and assumed it would be difficult for pitchers to get a firm landing spot, but seems like the vast majority of pitchers enjoy pitching off it and have no slippage issues. It does seem to wear thin on the downslope of the mound and you can see a lot of the rubber pieces showing through, but all in all I think it's accomplished exactly what the Freedom expected it would.

I was impressed with the upgrades made to Bellevue's field (Vets) 2 years ago. Don't think I got to make it down there last year that I recall, but the changes made the prior year were significant. A brick wall backstop really gives a field a special look.

My only concern is the fence depth. They seem to be a bit closer than normal. How do their measurements compare to Boone?

It is fairly short, but seems like every single time I've been there the wind has been blowing in - sometimes pretty significantly. So I don't think it's quite as easy a shot as it looks. Boone's right field porch, however, is crazy short. It really isn't much more than a reasonably-hit fly out in most parks.

St. Henry's stadium is beautiful. Cov Cath has made some very nice improvements to their complex. I assume remodel of the first base dugout/announcer booth is next? Had never been to Scott until last year, but looks like they're doing a nice job with theirs also. Tower Park is a much nicer place to both play & watch a game today than it was 3 years ago. Meinken is an embarressment - no other way to put it. I like the setting at Moerscher (sp?), but the shifting ground down by the river seems to be giving them trouble.
Does St.Henry have good parking and seating as well? How do you get there if your coming off the Double A highway? Thansk.

Does St.Henry have good parking and seating as well? How do you get there if your coming off the Double A highway? Thansk.

St. Henry has adequate parking, but there's a little walk to the diamond. More than enough seating (& it's old Riverfront seats to boot).

From the AA Hwy:

take 275 West to 71/75 South,

You'll barely get on 71/75 South and take first exit (I believe it's 184B)

Turn right onto Donaldson Rd

Travel a mile or so on Donaldson & St. Henry will be on your right.

Actual address is 3755 Scheben Drive, Erlanger, KY.

My only concern is the fence depth. They seem to be a bit closer than normal. How do their measurements compare to Boone?

You have noticed haven't you, that there are no markers on the fences surrounding the field and I have asked but have never gotten a straight answer.

The nicest diamond when they get it completed, will be Simon Kenton. Cooper also could be but after seeing the football field not being properly taken care of, I worry that the same will happen to the Baseball field!

It's been awhile since I have been in a conversation about the depth but I think the lines are 300-310 and center is 340-350. I will check today and get back to you.

I thought the same thing about pitcher's mound and assumed it would be difficult for pitchers to get a firm landing spot, but seems like the vast majority of pitchers enjoy pitching off it and have no slippage issues. It does seem to wear thin on the downslope of the mound and you can see a lot of the rubber pieces showing through, but all in all I think it's accomplished exactly what the Freedom expected it would.

For the mound and batter's box they add extra rubber pieces so that the actual turf isn't being torn up, the rubber is just being moved. That's why they look thin. There is a lot of rubber covering up the turf blades.

NKUCLUB is right, you add rubber pieces to the heavy use areas, and brush it into the turf, wear is a concern, but compacting, (making it hard) is a major concern for high traffic areas, so it needs to be brushed, with the adding of rubber, to help keep it soft.

It is fairly short, but seems like every single time I've been there the wind has been blowing in - sometimes pretty significantly. So I don't think it's quite as easy a shot as it looks. Boone's right field porch, however, is crazy short. It really isn't much more than a reasonably-hit fly out in most parks.

Having played at NewCath, I know the reasonable fly-ball issue well. NewCath's new field is a little rough due to the land it was built on. At least it has big boy fences. I remember Elder coming over to scrimmage us and looking at our fence. It was either a home run or a strikeout. There wasn't much play in the field that day.

I'd say St. Henry has the nicest field in NKY at least. Plenty of seating, nice dugouts, plenty of foul territory, warning track all around the field that is taken care of, pretty long fences, 330 in left 390 in center and 310 in right. Doesn't come without a lot of work from the players though!