Mason County 66 Bracken County 39

1st round of the 39th District Tournament

Royals advance to play the winner of St. Patrick/Augusta on Thursday night.

Thought MC looked bad tonight,BC's zone seemed to trouble them,even though the score doesn't indicate that. Would have liked to have seen more screens set for Woods early, looked like his set shot was on tonight. Jefferson forcing everything, but maybe plan was to get Setty in early foul trouble, good all around year for the seniors,especially A.Cummings and his agressiveness which will really be missed. Good season Bears:thumb:

Thought MC looked bad tonight,BC's zone seemed to trouble them,even though the score doesn't indicate that. Would have liked to have seen more screens set for Woods early, looked like his set shot was on tonight. Jefferson forcing everything, but maybe plan was to get Setty in early foul trouble, good all around year for the seniors,especially A.Cummings and his agressiveness which will really be missed. Good season Bears:thumb:

I do agree that Bracken County had a very nice year, but I don't agree that the Royals struggled with the zone or at least when I listened. Mason County came out and hit a few 3's and scored the first 12 points of the game. It was never in doubt after that.

Bracken Co. 8 7 15 9 39

Mason Co. 21 12 12 21 66

Bracken Co. (17-11) -- A. Cummins 14, Woods 6, Jefferson 10, J. Cummins 3, Hamilton 4, Florer 2.

Mason Co. (17-12) -- Gilbert 8, Henry 5, Black 13, Harris 4, Setty 22, Menefee 3, Hamm 2, Pawsat 7, Jackson 2.

Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2010/11/23/1537435/latest-boys-basketball-results.html?appSession=496202995623920&RecordID=9765&PageID=3&PrevPageID=2&cpipage=1&CPIsortType=&CPIorderBy=#ixzz1EefUb0WU

No offense to the other three schools but does Mason, year in and year out, have one of the easiest routes to a district championship? Three class A schools?

If you're going strictly by boys' enrollment figures, yes they do. I've been lobbying for years to have Fleming County return to the 10th Region/39th District to restore rivalry/competitive balance, but they don't listen to me.

Here are how some of the districts look based on 2009-2010 audited enrollment reports - BOYS ONLY:

District 3: Graves County 700, Ballard Memorial 198, Mayfield 188, St. Mary 84

District 19: Meade County 778, Bardstown 303, Washington County 284, Bethlehem 149

District 34: Dixie Heights 722, Lloyd Memorial 290, St. Henry 268, Ludlow 148, Villa Madonna 94

District 39: Mason County 415, Bracken County 187, St. Patrick 54, Augusta 51

District 44: Madison Central 888, Madison Southern 534 (I didn't know they were that large), Berea 178, Model 99

District 51: Knox Central 501, Lynn Camp 170, Pineville 106, Barbourville 91

District 54: Perry County Central 525, Leslie County 272, Hazard 143, Buckhorn 106

There are lots of districts - and the districts are built first and foremost on geography - that include one school that is much larger than the others. In theory, the larger (bolded) schools should dominate if enrollment is the only consideration, but it doesn't always work that way.

This was best game of the year in many respects for Mason. Neal Pawsat brings so much to the team as this is evidenced by greater intensity. MC was a little sloppy with the ball on occasion but some of this was caused by Bracken hustle. The Polar Bears have a nice team and good season. Hope St. Pats can beat Augusta for third time tonight. Always hard to beat a team three times but look forward to a Royal and Saints matchup..

Then next week the Regional. All pressure will be on GRC as prohibitive favorite. Given the Cardinals schedule and record this year have to be considered aat least 15 point favorite over any team in the tourney. Yet games have to be played. Every team except GRC can play loose and relaxed and have fun as they wont be expected to win. Will be most interesting weekend of great high school Kentucky bball.

GO Royals and Saints:)