Georgetown 62 Louisville 59

swamprat

I say hogwash. Suppose you and I are both coaching in the same conference, and we both finish the season with identical conference records and overall records. We're on the bubble. However, four of my 11 losses came to ranked opponents on the road (2 of them in OT), by a grand total of nine points, whereas you're getting blown out against ranked teams, especially on the road.

You can believe there's no such thing as a "good loss," and keep doing so in the NIT while I'm thrilling a national audience at 4:30 on the opening Thursday with a late three-point lead over a 5 seed.

False. The reason you'd be in is because you had no bad losses. A blowout loss, against even the best, is a bad loss. Just as there is no such thing as a bad win, there's no such thing as a good loss.

Here's the way I look at it. A game can have one of three effects on your resume. A positive one (a win), a negative one (a loss to a bad team or a blowout loss to anyone), or no effect (a close loss to a good team, especially on the road). No loss will ever have a positive effect on a team's resume.

False. The reason you'd be in is because you had no bad losses. A blowout loss, against even the best, is a bad loss. Just as there is no such thing as a bad win, there's no such thing as a good loss.

Here's the way I look at it. A game can have one of three effects on your resume. A positive one (a win), a negative one (a loss to a bad team or a blowout loss to anyone), or no effect (a close loss to a good team, especially on the road). No loss will ever have a positive effect on a team's resume.

I'm going to continue to disagree, because you're trying to look at the whole process in a vacuum, and that's not how it happens. Teams are weighed against each other, and if my hypothetical situation arises, my team gets the bid and you go to the NIT. There are tons of teams each year who can be separated only by a sliver, and when the margins are that close, "good losses" come into play, whether you like it or not.

Can we at least agree that UofL's loss to Gtown on the road was a "better loss" than UK's loss to Ole Miss on the road? I would argue that UofL's loss to Gtown was better for UofL than a decent win would have been for UK at Ole Miss. Advantage of playing in the Big East on 2 days rest back to back road games -- it gets you ready for the tourney. Slogging through the terrible SEC (or ACC for that matter this year) is a no win proposition. If you win, you beat a bad team that you should beat. If you lose, you lost to a team you should have beaten.