Arizona Congresswoman Shot

kygirl

The truth of the matter is that the rhetoric of speech, when ratched by any side of the aisle, (happens on right and left imo) can lead people on the brink to act with malice and violence toward a person (target).

No doubt Byron De LaBeckwith and/or James Earl Ray were influenced by vitriolic speech painting their enemies as people who should be taken out. (Medgar Evers, MLK) Same is true with Booth, Oswald, and others.

Words are powerful, and the more people play with them for ratings (i.e. money) the more dangerous they can become to the psycotic fringe.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Democratic Leadership Committee Website

Does the DLC merit any blame for this since in 2004 they used targets on their website and described opponents as enemies and spelled out their "targeting" strategy?

I didn't see this because it has conveniently been removed but apparently after Congresswoman Giffords voted against Nasty Nancy for minority leader a talking head on the Daily Kos said Giffords was "dead" to him.

There weren't any specific political figures being targeted, only the states in the upcoming presidential election.

Using crosshairs on specific people is taking an entirely different tack.

The truth of the matter is that the rhetoric of speech, when ratched by any side of the aisle, (happens on right and left imo) can lead people on the brink to act with malice and violence toward a person (target).

No doubt Byron De LaBeckwith and/or James Earl Ray were influenced by vitriolic speech painting their enemies as people who should be taken out. (Medgar Evers, MLK) Same is true with Booth, Oswald, and others.

Words are powerful, and the more people play with them for ratings (i.e. money) the more dangerous they can become to the psycotic fringe.

The psycotic fringe will always find a reason to kill whether it's a book like Mark David Chapman or their neighbor's dog like David Berkowitz. Crazy is unpredictable and you never know what will set some people off.

Hatz, I don't know that I disagree with you BUT I find it reprehesible that there are people that are trying to use this tragedy for political gain. The sherrif started his rant before there was even a chance to know what this whack job's motivations might be and continued it today on GMA.

There weren't any specific political figures being targeted, only the states in the upcoming presidential election.

Using crosshairs on specific people is taking an entirely different tack.

My understanding is that Palin's map only included the district as well. It's on Facebook and I can't access it from work so I may be wrong. If that's the case then what's the difference?

My understanding is that Palin's map only included the district as well. It's on Facebook and I can't access it from work so I may be wrong. If that's the case then what's the difference?
The graphic I saw listed the congressmen and congresswomen that were being specifically targeted for defeat ... Giffords was on the list.

The map you reference used bullseyes on certain states ... no specific people were mentioned.

Update-Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords is "holding her own" and continues to respond to simple commands, Dr. G. Michael Lemole Jr., the chief of neurosurgery at University Medical Center in Tucson said Monday.

"I just came from Congresswoman Giffords' bedside and I'm happy to say she's holding her own," Lemole, who operated on Giffords after a bullet tore through the left side of her brain, told TODAY Monday. "And that is to say that she's doing the same things she was yesterday. And that's the most we can hope for at this time."

Giffords is in a medically induced coma but is responding to verbal commands — raising a thumb, showing two fingers or wiggling toes — two days after she was shot at point-blank range at a public gathering in a supermarket parking lot in Tucson, Ariz.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40982089/ns/health-health_care/?gt1=43001

The graphic I saw listed the congressmen and congresswomen that were being specifically targeted for defeat ... Giffords was on the list.

The map you reference used bullseyes on certain states ... no specific people were mentioned.

I have seen the map and there is a list below the map with a list of the names of people holding the seats in each district. Personally, I find it rather tame compared to some of the rants and wishes of harm I've heard from the mouths of Keith Olberman but if that's the basis for saying this was politically motivated then more power to you and yours.

Rush's playbook is being executed to perfection in this thread.....

His very long list of points:

LOUGHNER IS A LONE NUT. Even "the Obama government" -- the FBI -- calls Loughner a "deranged, insular irrational kid" who acted alone, Limbaugh said. "The kid was evil. He was into the occult. He had an altar with a skull in his yard. Was God in his life? He was stalking the congresswoman."

HEAVY METAL. "The guy listened to heavy metal, and some of that anarchist stuff. We're dealing with an insane individual."

DIDN'T WATCH FOX. "There is no evidence that he listened to talk radio. There is no evidence he listened to Fox News. There is no evidence that he saw Sarah Palin's Facebook page. No evidence he saw her lame website with the crosshairs."

BLAME THE PARENTS. "Where are the parents? Are they derelicts? He was so devoted to marijuana he wanted to make it the new U.S. currency. Did anyone try to institutionalize him?"

Story continues below

Advertisement

SHERIFF COVERING HIS OWN BUTT. "This kid sounds like he was very well known as a dangerous element around town. If there is a file somewhere about this kid in the sheriff's office," said Rush, and the sheriff had failed to act, then he would be partly responsible for the tragedy in Arizona on Saturday. "If he was so concerned about the Tea Party, where was security for this congresswoman's event on Saturday?"

DUPNIK IS A DEMOCRAT. "This Sheriff, Clarence Dupnik, is an anti-conservative."

WHERE'S THE SAFETY NET? "Loughner is obviously deranged, so where's the left's safety net? Haven't we spent trillions of dollars to build a system to catch these disturbed people? Where is the evidence that their compassion works?"

THE OKLAHOMA CITY TEMPLATE. "Sad tragedies, where people die, are seen first as political opportunities by these people," Rush said. "The Republicans had nothing to do with the bombing at Oklahoma City, but it was seen as a political opportunity for Bill Clinton. This is now the same template."

CRIMINALIZING SPEECH. "They're shutting down any opposition and criminalizing it. They've had a plan filed away in a drawer to take away as many of our political freedoms as they can. The Democrats just lost an election, and now the only other thing they can try to do is silence the opposition."

HYPOCRITES ON VIOLENCE. It's not the right, Limbaugh said, but the left that glorifies criminal behavior and violent imagery. "'No, no,' they say, 'that's art!' Rap music? 'That's art!'"

DEMOCRATS ARE GHOULS. They privately are thankful for Tucson because "they think it advances their sick and perverted purposes." Mark Penn, who was Bill Clinton's polltaker, said -- before Tucson -- that "Obama needs his own Oklahoma City."

DEMOCRATS v. THE MAJORITY. By linking Loughner to the right, Limbaugh warned, Democrats are "taking aim at a majority of the people in the country. This is not 1988, or 1993, when the drive-by media had total control. I am not going to be silenced," he said, but now he has too many allies. "They're accusing a majority of Americans of being accomplices to murder."

A DIRECT DENIAL. "At no time has anybody ever called for violence," Limbaugh said. "We've never subtly promoted it." And, by the way, the Democrats' language is and was worse.

I have seen the map and there is a list below the map with a list of the names of people holding the seats in each district. Personally, I find it rather tame compared to some of the rants and wishes of harm I've heard from the mouths of Keith Olberman but if that's the basis for saying this was politically motivated then more power to you and yours.
Don't put words in my mouth ... I've said nothing of the sort.

You simply tried to paint a Democrat-issued map as being similar to the Palin thing, and you were called on it. Now you want to change course and go to Olbermann. Just admit it ... your analogy didn't hold up.

Rush's playbook is being executed to perfection in this thread.....

His very long list of points:

LOUGHNER IS A LONE NUT. Even "the Obama government" -- the FBI -- calls Loughner a "deranged, insular irrational kid" who acted alone, Limbaugh said. "The kid was evil. He was into the occult. He had an altar with a skull in his yard. Was God in his life? He was stalking the congresswoman."

HEAVY METAL. "The guy listened to heavy metal, and some of that anarchist stuff. We're dealing with an insane individual."

DIDN'T WATCH FOX. "There is no evidence that he listened to talk radio. There is no evidence he listened to Fox News. There is no evidence that he saw Sarah Palin's Facebook page. No evidence he saw her lame website with the crosshairs."

BLAME THE PARENTS. "Where are the parents? Are they derelicts? He was so devoted to marijuana he wanted to make it the new U.S. currency. Did anyone try to institutionalize him?"

Story continues below

Advertisement

SHERIFF COVERING HIS OWN BUTT. "This kid sounds like he was very well known as a dangerous element around town. If there is a file somewhere about this kid in the sheriff's office," said Rush, and the sheriff had failed to act, then he would be partly responsible for the tragedy in Arizona on Saturday. "If he was so concerned about the Tea Party, where was security for this congresswoman's event on Saturday?"

DUPNIK IS A DEMOCRAT. "This Sheriff, Clarence Dupnik, is an anti-conservative."

WHERE'S THE SAFETY NET? "Loughner is obviously deranged, so where's the left's safety net? Haven't we spent trillions of dollars to build a system to catch these disturbed people? Where is the evidence that their compassion works?"

THE OKLAHOMA CITY TEMPLATE. "Sad tragedies, where people die, are seen first as political opportunities by these people," Rush said. "The Republicans had nothing to do with the bombing at Oklahoma City, but it was seen as a political opportunity for Bill Clinton. This is now the same template."

CRIMINALIZING SPEECH. "They're shutting down any opposition and criminalizing it. They've had a plan filed away in a drawer to take away as many of our political freedoms as they can. The Democrats just lost an election, and now the only other thing they can try to do is silence the opposition."

HYPOCRITES ON VIOLENCE. It's not the right, Limbaugh said, but the left that glorifies criminal behavior and violent imagery. "'No, no,' they say, 'that's art!' Rap music? 'That's art!'"

DEMOCRATS ARE GHOULS. They privately are thankful for Tucson because "they think it advances their sick and perverted purposes." Mark Penn, who was Bill Clinton's polltaker, said -- before Tucson -- that "Obama needs his own Oklahoma City."

DEMOCRATS v. THE MAJORITY. By linking Loughner to the right, Limbaugh warned, Democrats are "taking aim at a majority of the people in the country. This is not 1988, or 1993, when the drive-by media had total control. I am not going to be silenced," he said, but now he has too many allies. "They're accusing a majority of Americans of being accomplices to murder."

A DIRECT DENIAL. "At no time has anybody ever called for violence," Limbaugh said. "We've never subtly promoted it." And, by the way, the Democrats' language is and was worse.

He makes some interesting points.:popcorn:

Anyone who thinks this is the fault of some lame Sarah Palin website or map is about as insane as the gunman.

Seriously, it's sickening to see people both on here and in the media (from either side) trying to use a tragedy like this as a political tool. Shame on those people.

Anyone who thinks this is the fault of some lame Sarah Palin website or map is about as insane as the gunman.

Seriously, it's sickening to see people both on here and in the media (from either side) trying to use a tragedy like this as a political tool. Shame on those people.

We don't agree a lot, but we are agreed here.