Bishop Brossart 48 Highlands 37

Birds hit a period in the game from like the 4 min mark in the 2nd qtr to about 3 min left in the 3rd where they couldnt throw it in the ocean and turned it over numerous times. Towles was having his way early but he was worn out and got tired as the game went on. Pretty even game until Brossart came out in the 3rd and jumped up by 10, nice adjustments to Highlands zone by Coach Code. They started finding their big fella down low and he had some uncontested layups. Fardo I think hit a big 3 pointer as well.

Very tough for Highlands to find points in the 2nd half when your two leading scorers are still in sweats on the bench resting. Crowley and Stewart didnt play once again and I would expect those guys to be good for atleast 25-30 pts a game.

Tonight the Birds had entirely too many turnovers, didnt hit the boards at all and struggled creating their own shots off the dribble. Saunders was tasked with guarding Towles in the 2nd half and I thought he did a nice job. Norton had somewhat of a silent night but did hit a couple big shots late in the game.

Birds won the JV game 30-28 led by guards Witte and Frosh Brendan Buten. Donovan McCoy had a nice game as well. However, the Birds JV must have had 20 turnovers as well. They gotta get that under control and play stronger with the ball.

Box Score from Kentucky.com

Highlands 8 9 7 13 37

Bishop Brossart 10 9 15 14 48

Highlands (1-3) -- Witte 2, New 2, Lewis 7, Dean 8, Egan 6, Towles 12.

Bishop Brossart (4-2) -- Fardo 10, Norton 11, Dierig 7, Schultz 2, Saunders 9, Jennings 6, Verst 3.

Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2010/11/23/1537435/latest-boys-basketball-results.html?appSession=309191227694239&RecordID=7201&PageID=3&PrevPageID=2&cpipage=1&CPIsortType=&CPIorderBy=#ixzz18Qq3Fa6O

On a sidenote, Freshman Nate Verst hit 4 3-pointers in the freshmen game, 2 in the JV game, and 1 in the varsity game.

Realizing that very few players even play in all three games, I'm sure that is an unwritten school record for us, but wonder how often its ever been done statewide???

Just curious. Thoughts???

On a sidenote, Freshman Nate Verst hit 4 3-pointers in the freshmen game, 2 in the JV game, and 1 in the varsity game.

Realizing that very few players even play in all three games, I'm sure that is an unwritten school record for us, but wonder how often its ever been done statewide???

I believe Dillon Greene, who graduated last year from Pendleton County pulled the triple duty his freshman year. However, he was not a full-time freshman player. Oddly enough, Greene ran point guard his freshman year for Pendleton County's varsity, and without growing an inch throughout high school, he played power forward for Pendleton County last year.

A very nice player he is and Coach Code showed a lot of confidence going to him early. Nice job on the broadcast Mustang, the boy and I dialed it up when we got home. He wanted to hear your call of the JV game and his first Varsity bucket. Nice work and congrats to the Stangs.

A very nice player he is and Coach Code showed a lot of confidence going to him early. Nice job on the broadcast Mustang, the boy and I dialed it up when we got home. He wanted to hear your call of the JV game and his first Varsity bucket. Nice work and congrats to the Stangs.

Thanks! I hope I got his name right, and gave credit where credit was due.

Congrats to Nate Verst on the big night!

This one has to surprise most. Not that Brossart won but that they held HHS to under 40 points

Well, I dont want to burst your bubble but Highlands held themselves under 40 pts. They must have shot 30% from the field and many times only had one true scorer on the court. They missed a ton of open looks from outside and usually only had one player going to the boards so no 2nd chance points the entire night. I was actually surprised the Brossart's defense wasnt as good as it has been in years past. If Stew and Crowley played in this game it would have been a much different outcome and I hate to keep harping on that but it is true.

Well, I dont want to burst your bubble but Highlands held themselves under 40 pts. They must have shot 30% from the field and many times only had one true scorer on the court. They missed a ton of open looks from outside and usually only had one player going to the boards so no 2nd chance points the entire night. I was actually surprised the Brossart's defense wasnt as good as it has been in years past. If Stew and Crowley played in this game it would have been a much different outcome and I hate to keep harping on that but it is true.

That, and the fact that Highlands played a zone defense for the entire first half, allowing Brossart to be patient and dominate the "time of possession" category.

The 19-17 first half score indicates the pace of the first-half. When the Mustangs began to pull away in the second half, the Bluebirds were forced to come out of the zone, and then go to a full-court press. Highlands has been plagued with injuries in each of the Mustangs' three wins over the past three seasons, and we again led a charmed life by catching the Birds, a big man (Stewart), and a potential starter (Crowley) watching the game from the sidelines. With that said, the Mustangs played a big man short as well - Junior Austin Trentman 6-5/175, who has served as our sixth man, sat out the Highlands game with a sprained ankle.

While our defense might not be what some of our teams of the past might have been capable of, it was our defense which created the opportunities for our offense to put the points on the board needed to secure the Mustangs win. This is a primarily rebuilding Mustangs varsity five which will only continue to improve as the season wears on .

That, and the fact that Highlands played a zone defense for the entire first half, allowing Brossart to be patient and dominate the "time of possession" category.

The 19-17 first half score indicates the pace of the first-half. When the Mustangs began to pull away in the second half, the Bluebirds were forced to come out of the zone, and then go to a full-court press. Highlands has been plagued with injuries in each of the Mustangs' three wins over the past three seasons, and we again led a charmed life by catching the Birds, a big man (Stewart), and a potential starter (Crowley) watching the game from the sidelines. With that said, the Mustangs played a big man short as well - Junior Austin Trentman 6-5/175, who has served as our sixth man, sat out the Highlands game with a sprained ankle.

While our defense might not be what some of our teams of the past might have been capable of, it was our defense which created the opportunities for our offense to put the points on the board needed to secure the Mustangs win. This is a primarily rebuilding Mustangs varsity five which will only continue to improve as the season wears on .

Crowley is a bonafide starter and scored 15 in the ST Henry win and I would agree that the defense created some easy baskets in the 2nd half and the halftime adjustment by Code really was key. Saunders put a body on the tired Towles in the 2nd half also.

I just listened to the replay and didnt realize that when Witte hit the shot off the glass in the 2nd qtr it was a 4-0 run by the Birds putting them up 14-10 and then Brossart would go on a 24-10 run the rest of the 2nd and entire 3rd qtr. The start of the 4th saw the Birds behind 34-24 and it could have been an 8pt lead if Towles would have converted that layup at the buzzer.

Kudos to the Stangs for persevering and pulling out the victory at home.