Bishop Brossart 48 Highlands 37

Why would a player be playing freshman ball if he is good enough to play JV and Varsity? It seems like you would be opening him up to possible injury by playing that much.

Don't see it too often in boys. More prevelant with the girls. A lot of state athletic associations have rules that restrict this. Ky does not. Not to worried about the health and safety of the kids here? Another side is why would the parent allow it?

Why would a player be playing freshman ball if he is good enough to play JV and Varsity? It seems like you would be opening him up to possible injury by playing that much.

"Playing in the varsity game" equated to about one/two minutes, at the end of a quarter, against a zone defense.

Due to the dynamics of this year's program, Nate is a freshmen/JV player, who happened to dress varsity since it was a tripleheader and we were playing at home.

The only other time that he has appeared in a varsity game was at a freshmen/varsity doubleheader at Silver Grove in a lopsided contest.

As stated, even having a freshman player appear in all three games is a rarity, and having hit a "3" in each I thought was noteworthy.

For some reason, some think it is great for a kid to play in all 3 games. I have never understood the logic.

I think you might feel a lot differently if you followed a smaller school like Brossart. Plus, its still really early in the season. No one knows how players (especially young players) are going to react to being in clutch situations.

For some reason, some think it is great for a kid to play in all 3 games. I have never understood the logic.

In this case it was pretty simple logic. Brossart already has two freshmen who are playing strictly JV (both of which have been injured), and about 4 others who come up and provide valuable depth to a JV squad lacking a little in numbers. Verst plays freshman and then adds valuable minutes to the JV team normally, and happened to have a very hot hand in the Frosh/JV games, especially from three-land.

With Highlands sitting back in a zone all night, and a couple of their normally reliable long range shooters cool; Coach Code saw fit "to go with the hot hand" for a few minutes and Nate was able to deliver a big three. Seems to me we should be celebrating the kid's feat, instead of nitpicking the logic--It's not a regular event in this case. If he played all three every night, I'd agree with the naysayers.

Personally if I'm going to pick on "logic" involving freshmen, it will be against teams that play talented freshmen "up" all season; and then see fit to slide them back down for a game or two come Frosh Tourney time??

In this case it was pretty simple logic. Brossart already has two freshmen who are playing strictly JV (both of which have been injured), and about 4 others who come up and provide valuable depth to a JV squad lacking a little in numbers. Verst plays freshman and then adds valuable minutes to the JV team normally, and happened to have a very hot hand in the Frosh/JV games, especially from three-land.

With Highlands sitting back in a zone all night, and a couple of their normally reliable long range shooters cool; Coach Code saw fit "to go with the hot hand" for a few minutes and Nate was able to deliver a big three. Seems to me we should be celebrating the kid's feat, instead of nitpicking the logic--It's not a regular event in this case. If he played all three every night, I'd agree with the naysayers.

Personally if I'm going to pick on "logic" involving freshmen, it will be against teams that play talented freshmen "up" all season; and then see fit to slide them back down for a game or two come Frosh Tourney time??

He is still very green so letting him gain confidence starting frosh, playing JV and then situationally playing some Varsity is probably good for him. He made some silly fouls in the JV game showing his youth so its not like hes a Brandon Hatton out there. The thing I was most impressed with was he came in the Varsity game and his first 3 attempt didnt draw any Iron and instead of hanging his head he came back and drilled his next 3. Nice job !