4 day school weeks

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/palm-beach/fl-four-day-school-week-20101021,0,6276565.story

It's pitched as an opportunity for students to have more time for part-time jobs, school activities, and dual-enrollment programs that enable students to earn college credit. Daniel also described it as a way to decrease "discipline issues and student absences."

Four-day school weeks are becoming more commonplace across the nation, as districts switch to truncated schedules to cut costs

Is it Webster County in KY that is on a 4-day week and has had a lot of success with it and is saving a bunch of money with it.

You did notice that the time (minutes) the students are at school is the same whether 4 day or 5 day. School day is longer in a 4 day week.

Students time for school is based on minutes in the state of KY.

I know the time is the same but only going 4 days would be so much better.

I know the time is the same but only going 4 days would be so much better.

I totally agree. Just wanted to make sure that the education time is not being shortened. Just distributed in a different manner.

Some on here would quickly jump up and scream about teachers wanting a shorter schedule. They would be wrong in that regards as even with the 4-day week for students at Webster County, the teachers are in session on the day the students are not. Teaches are paid by the number of days NOT by the minutes taught that are counted for students.

The 4 day week intrigues me, and Bardstown City schools are investigating. This is done in Japan and other countries, although it is tied to year-round school, and also the 5th day is many times used for labs, field trips, or athletics. I actually really like the idea.

The 4 day week intrigues me, and Bardstown City schools are investigating. This is done in Japan and other countries, although it is tied to year-round school, and also the 5th day is many times used for labs, field trips, or athletics. I actually really like the idea.

If you read the Webster rationale, they did research and found that Monday is the most missed day. So, students do not go to school on Monday. Parents know that there is one day a week that dr/dentist appointments can be made all year long. Said it really cut down on attendance issues which ups their funding through ADA money.

Also, think of the savings to the district from utilities not used as much on that one day and the wages of cafeteria workers/bus drivers.

Not that this should necessarily be the focus of the school's decision, but I wonder how the classified workers (custodians, cafeteria staff, bus drivers, etc) deal with the 20% (I assume) cut in their pay? Are they less likely to take these jobs, thus, making it more difficult to fill those positions?

On another side note (that should not necessarily be a deciding factor), I wonder how this affects athletic competitions? Our school day ends at 3:00 pm and many times sports teams are boarding buses and leaving for games by 3:15 or 3:30.

I do find the idea and prospects very interesting, from a teaching standpoint.

Not that this should necessarily be the focus of the school's decision, but I wonder how the classified workers (custodians, cafeteria staff, bus drivers, etc) deal with the 20% (I assume) cut in their pay? Are they less likely to take these jobs, thus, making it more difficult to fill those positions?

On another side note (that should not necessarily be a deciding factor), I wonder how this affects athletic competitions? Our school day ends at 3:00 pm and many times sports teams are boarding buses and leaving for games by 3:15 or 3:30.

I do find the idea and prospects very interesting, from a teaching standpoint.

Great questions about the school day. Look at Webster County's schedule compared to your schools and I think you will be amazed. From the link above:

Webster County High School

School Begins – 7:52

School Ends – 3:05

Time Spent at School – 7 hrs 13 minutes

Instructional Time – 6 hrs 40 minutes

Not sure on your schedule but we start at 8:00 and get out at 3:00. There day is only 13 minutes longer.

HOW DO THEY DO THAT YOU ASK???

Teacher Planning Mondays

Structured planning activities from 8-12;

Schedule includes faculty meetings; collaborative planning; committee meetings/individual planning;

Part of 185 day contract;

District Teacher Leader Team established;

Two hours on three separate Mondays – Teacher Leaders provide research-based instructional strategies training for all teachers in the district;

I am assuming the above means no planning periods T-F.

On TB & G's question on classified, here is some info.

Reductions/Eliminations - 2003-2004

Payroll Clerk -24,000.00

Receptionist - 10,000.00

Co-Op Student - 3,000.00

Eliminated Extended Days from High School Teaching Staff (AG Excluded) Reduced Guidance/Library Days Reduced Extended Days for Administrators - 20,000.00

Reduced Middle School Academic/Athletic Program - 10,000.00

Reduced Academic/ Athletic Supplements - 25,000.00

Reduced Extra-Curricular Allotment for Transportation - 25,400.00

Eliminated Bus Routes - 50,000.00

Actual Savings as of June 2004

Certified Subs - 24,411.36

Classified Subs - 10,559.09

Overtime - 3,497.01

Classified In Addition To - 1,664.19

Extra Curricular Bus Trips (Salary/Fuel) Includes Charter Bus

36 Non-Transport Student Days (Includes Drivers, Monitors, Fuel) - 52,020.00

Workman’s Comp For 02-03 paid 98,655.00, for 03-04 paid 75,596.30, 23,058.70