Greenup County officially drops Raceland from their schedule

sidelinedoc

Maybe they are trying to get away from what we bring to the table: Good teams most years, big gate, rival. And we even let them beat us four or five times a decade! Maybe they want to upgrade to Wheelersburg, Ironton, Portsmouth high ect.!
I know for a fact that the Burg wants Greenup back on their schedule, Burg gets alot of points for beating 4A team from the state of Kentucky.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First thing, the game was never officially taken off GCHS's schedule, it is still being debated and looks optimistic that it will be on GCHS schedule along with Russell, Ashland and Johnson Central. We shall wait and see but I have heard from a very reliable source that this game will happen.

The game WAS taken off the schedule. The GC principal put pressure on Copley to get it fixed. As of right now, Raceland is looking for a game. It could be GC IF Copley gets back to Coach Maynard ASAP.

First thing, the game was never officially taken off GCHS's schedule, it is still being debated and looks optimistic that it will be on GCHS schedule along with Russell, Ashland and Johnson Central. We shall wait and see but I have heard from a very reliable source that this game will happen.

Listen recpark, I have nothing against you or most of the Greenup fans, coaches, and administration. Wait for it, wait for it. But, the simple fact is Copley has lied to many people. He told people that he wanted to play Raceland, but the administration was pressing him to drop Raceland. When the administration was asked about it, they responded by telling everyone that they had no clue the game was being dropped and if it was it was all Copley. Now, he is being called on the carpet and is back peddling. All of this coupled with other stuff he has told people and said in public leaves me with no respect for the man, and I am now very comfortable with the game not happing. I don't want any association with the man, and just as soon play someone else. He has repeatedly lied to people and if Greenup wants him, they can have him.

The game WAS taken off the schedule. The GC principal put pressure on Copley to get it fixed. As of right now, Raceland is looking for a game. It could be GC IF Copley gets back to Coach Maynard ASAP.

And I hope Coach Maynard makes him admit that he lied to him and I hope the Greenup County administration seek an apology for him making them look bad.

Listen recpark, I have nothing against you or most of the Greenup fans, coaches, and administration. Wait for it, wait for it. But, the simple fact is Copley has lied to many people. He told people that he wanted to play Raceland, but the administration was pressing him to drop Raceland. When the administration was asked about it, they responded by telling everyone that they had no clue the game was being dropped and if it was it was all Copley. Now, he is being called on the carpet and is back peddling. All of this coupled with other stuff he has told people and said in public asleaves me with no respect for the man, and I am now very comfortable with the game not happing. I don't want any sociation with the man, and just as soon play someone else. He has repeatedly lied to people and if Greenup wants him, they can have him.
All of your post was very good and this info coupled with others posted lately and information I have heard from other sources close (or was close untill this fiasco:D:sssh:) confirms a few things to me/ Coach Copley cannot be trusted at all, Not sure but I don't know if the GC adninistration is being completely truthful either, it's not like that has never happened before:sssh:.

I now join a growing number of people here in Raceand/Worthinhton that are now glad we are not playing this game and frankly hope a new contract is not signed.

And I hope Coach Maynard makes him admit that he lied to him and I hope the Greenup County administration seek an apology for him making them look bad.

I believe Maynard deserves an apology but then again what would that paticular apology be? Certainly for show and nothing else. Who needs the apology? Coach Maynard knows and everyone else now knows what happened. The only thing that he would be sorry for is that he was exposed.

So, as I have said about this series before ......Raceland certainly does not need a game with GCHS to make a statement and certainly not to buid our program so coach.....don't let the screen door hit ya in your badonkadonk on the way out.

GCHS has some very good people there so when the one's that I am talking about, and they know who they are, and the GC/BGP fans (who I have no problem with at all) get fed up then I believe that we could find some orange and black shirts and a seat in a classroom of our fine school for your kids. :thumb: Might as well join others who have in the past and some that now just may be currently in the process of making that move.

Listen recpark, I have nothing against you or most of the Greenup fans, coaches, and administration. Wait for it, wait for it. But, the simple fact is Copley has lied to many people. He told people that he wanted to play Raceland, but the administration was pressing him to drop Raceland. When the administration was asked about it, they responded by telling everyone that they had no clue the game was being dropped and if it was it was all Copley. Now, he is being called on the carpet and is back peddling. All of this coupled with other stuff he has told people and said in public leaves me with no respect for the man, and I am now very comfortable with the game not happing. I don't want any association with the man, and just as soon play someone else. He has repeatedly lied to people and if Greenup wants him, they can have him.

Ram, I'm not sure you are telling us everything you feel. Don't beat around the bush, just let it out.................:lol:

Good and accurate post, though.

What has happened to the coaches hired at Greenup County the past 20 years? Seems like they were very good to great coaches coming in and have been fired or left from being pressured! And I don't know if any lasted more then five years! Is there something in the grass when they walk out on the field that makes them not be able to be the coach GC thought they had hired? Maybe after this many firing and coaches leaving. Greenup Co may want to look within the system!!:idunno:

I hate it that we will not be playing GC next year but I am sure it's not because they are scared of us. I just wish things at Raceland would be like the old days when we would take the high road and not cry like other schools around us, that's what made Raceland great.

I would hate to see this great rivalry game not happen. It was always a great atmosphere, and until recently most fans have been respectful and kept the smack talk within reason. The fact is these are neighboring schools and many families have relatives invested in both programs. I have always wished Raceland well on their season and root for them in every game but one.

That being said, I can understand why Greenup might want a break. Except for the great gate involved, what does the TEAM have to gain from this game? When they win, they only hear things like..."What does a big 4A school have to brag about beating a little 1 A school?" etc...or comments that they ran up the score (and it was never even a running clock!) If they lose it only gets worse.... Some of the fans from both sides (not referring to any BGP members) take things to far and forget that it is a football game. Yes, historically a great one, and even though Raceland is 1A they have always been competitive. I always looked forward to this game.

I know that Greenup is looking to improve their schedule and play some new teams that will help them get ready for district games. The team next year will be stronger than some think. They have been working hard and getting strong in the weight room. Don't count them out before they have a chance to show folks what they are made of!

It was Coach Maynard who was quoted in the paper as saying he would never play GC again as long as he was head coach. Did the paper misquote him?

I hate it that we will not be playing GC next year but I am sure it's not because they are scared of us. I just wish things at Raceland would be like the old days when we would take the high road and not cry like other schools around us, that's what made Raceland great.

Very nice post. :thumb:

It was Coach Maynard who was quoted in the paper as saying he would never play GC again as long as he was head coach. Did the paper misquote him?

That was his quote after Copley refused to resign the contract for the next two years. What he was saying was, "if they don't sign the contract for the next two years, Raceland would never play them again as long as he was the Raceland coach".

Look, I'm fine with not playing Greenup anymore. But, I think we all know this coach is a short timer, and when he's gone people will want this game back on the schedule, and as Coach Maynard said, it won't happen then. If the administration wants this game in two or three years, they need to step in now, or it won't happen. The administration wants the money from the gate, and it wouldn't make sense for them not to want that, because quite simply most schools make their money for athletics with a few big football games, and this one supplies that money. But, so it shall be.

No, re-read it. He said Copley would not re-sign. Coach Maynard said that since he (Copley) would not re-sign, he (Maynard) wouldn't do it in the future, as long as he was the Raceland coach. He also told me that he told Copley that if we were not good enough to play at the Varsity level, we wouldn't play football at any level.