Greenup County officially drops Raceland from their schedule

sidelinedoc

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that is a real shame. I wonder what the reason was? I have always thought that all of the teams from Boyd and Greenup County should play each other on a yearly basis. Since fans don't have far to travel, those are the games with the biggest crowds and the rivalries that make for the most exciting atmospheres. As a Russell fan, I'd like to see them continue to play Raceland, Greenup, Ashland, Ironton, Boyd, and even Fairview if they can start consistently fielding a team like this year. With only 3 district opponents next year, Russell and Raceland will have a few spots to fill. I hope they both can do it with exciting local games as much as possible. Like I said, though, it would be interesting to know the reason Greenup dropped Raceland from the schedule.

Johnson Central has openings on their schedule for next year. Do you think there's any chance Raceland and JC could hook up next year?

That would be good for Raceland. Obviously, they'll have to play district opponents Fairview, Nicholas County, and Paintsville. That leaves 7 other games that need to be scheduled. Raceland only had 4 home games this season. Whatever happens, I'd try to at least schedule 5, even 6 if possible.

Here are a few potential teams I thought of for Raceland to try to schedule next year (obviously some of these may already be scheduled - I don't know):

Russell

Ashland

Johnson Central

Lawrence County

Rowan County

LCA

Mason County

Belfry

West Carter

Boyd County

East Carter

Fleming County

Lewis County

If they couldn't find the right mix of those, then they'll probably have to go across the river (Coal Grove, South Point, Chesapeake, Ironton, etc.). The only problem with that is I think Ohio teams get playoff points based on the size of the schools they play so they may be less inclined to schedule Raceland.

You know at first, and still to an extent, I was mad about this. Inter county rival and good gate normally equals no brainer. But, now, I say to heck with it. I'm tied of the whining from SOME Greenup County people. (now before it happens, I have absolutely no problem with the Greenup County Fans that are members of BGP, they are all good people and I have developed a good relationship with them). But, all I hear is Raceland takes our players. Raceland does things they shouldn't. Well, now they don't have an excuse. Keep your players. Build some wins next year over some schools that won't challenge you. If you think that will build your program, go for it.

Plus, I look forward to seeing Raceland play some teams that we don't normally get to play. I have already heard of some teams that want to play Raceland, and it seems that those negotiations may be fruitful. I don't want to name them yet, until I hear they are official, but some are old rivalry games, and some are teams that we have not played in a long while. I am excited to see them added to our schedule. I think it will great for Raceland football. Raceland is only going to get better, and I mean that. Raceland will be very good once again in 2011, and even better in 2012 and 2013. Very good, don't believe me, wait and see. And, to be honest, I don't' think this team would benefit, other then financially, by playing Greenup over the next three years knowing what I know about the upcoming classes at Raceland and Greenup. Not being mean, just being truthfully. Our JV has lost one game this year, and our Freshmen are currently undefeated with one game remaining. They are good classes.

Also, for the record, I started the rumor that Greenup was dropping Raceland quite a few weeks ago and many people told me it was not true. Copley said to many people before the Raceland game, that he was going to score as much as possible and not re-sign the contract for next year. Well, I guess what I heard was right. Heck, he told everyone that would listen that was what he was going to do.

Are they dropping the smaller school to upgrade their schedule or is there another reason for this?

No, this series has been extremely competitive and Greenup has the best team they have had in a while this year, and will not be near as strong next year. This is just getting a win when you can and not renewing the contract because you fear you are going to lose next year, and the next, and the next.

Johnson Central has openings on their schedule for next year. Do you think there's any chance Raceland and JC could hook up next year?

I wouldn't mind it, but you will have to contact Coach Maynard to get the answer to that.

I think that is a real shame. I wonder what the reason was? I have always thought that all of the teams from Boyd and Greenup County should play each other on a yearly basis.

That is what I think Ryan, for years we didn't play Russell, but we played everyone else in the area. The last two years we have been playing every team in Greenup, Carter, and Boyd. And, I have thought is was nice to do that. We only played West Carter in the EKC Grid, but all the other teams in the regular season. It was good. But, I think we are being dropped by Greenup, Boyd, and Ashland this year, so it's time for some new blood on the schedule.

If I am correct, Greenup has posted 6 open dates to fill for next year. That means all non-district foes are not re-signed. This would include Russell. Can you imagine GC not playing either school? Maybe, there are some teams win 3 or fewer wins that want to fill GC's schedule for the next few years. Sad...................

Great day to be a RAM!!

I doubt Fairview will be on their radar now!!

Maybe PARIS or a short six our drive to Fulton Co or city high schools!

But I'm sure you will hear some great excuses coming out soon!

Who needs the money from these rival games with such a great economy we are in right now! GC must own the bank!

I hear they are trying to schedule Boyd and E Carter to two games each next season!! lol......................... Hey those arn't little 1A schools like Raceland...:popcorn::irked:

I'm pretty familiar with the rivalry between these two local teams up there. Seems an awful shame to not play someone who is in your back yard and can make a competitive game out of it. I've heard similiar stories down here where some local teams that Rockcastle plays are debating on not playing them or resigining their contract. I can't imagine why not as it isn't like Rockcastle is the juggernaut they were earlier in the decade. Greenup, Raceland and Russell are all close in distance for great gate takes and in these economic times, the athletic departments of most all high schools can use all the help they can get.

If I am correct, Greenup has posted 6 open dates to fill for next year. That means all non-district foes are not re-signed. This would include Russell. Can you imagine GC not playing either school? Maybe, there are some teams win 3 or fewer wins that want to fill GC's schedule for the next few years. Sad...................

I find it hilarious that the email they sent out on the Football Coaches List Server said, "We are a 4A team with a 1A team", and they are dropping a good 1A program. It would seem that if they have a "1A team" you would want to play the local 1A and 3A teams. Maybe not. What's the excuse?