Greenup County officially drops Raceland from their schedule

sidelinedoc

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, this series has been extremely competitive and Greenup has the best team they have had in a while this year, and will not be near as strong next year. This is just getting a win when you can and not renewing the contract because you fear you are going to lose next year, and the next, and the next.

:thumb: Plus he especially doesn't want to get beat by

T.J. Maynard. Maynard when coach at GC beat Raceland something like 5 or 6 in a row. I would think that coach classless, uh, I mean Copley and some of the GC fans that have ran things in the past do not want Raceland/ Coach Maynard to get another win on them, he was on the coaching staff as the "D" coordinator for Raceland during a 6 year winning streak in the rivalry forthe Rams. Maynard beating them again might get too much for those few whiners and their man Copley to deal with. :clap:

JMO of course.

I hate it that we will not be playing GC next year but I am sure it's not because they are scared of us. I just wish things at Raceland would be like the old days when we would take the high road and not cry like other schools around us, that's what made Raceland great.[/QUOTE]

That still is the case Ramfan, I guess some of us..... no, most of us just don't respect what GC under Copley stands for.(saying one thing, doing another and trying to spin it on anyone but him :rolleyes:). This one is all on tthe GC coach or administration or whoever else Copely can think of to blame it on. Heck, tommorrow it may be the band or cheerleaders fault :lol:.

I wanted this series to continue as well up untill this last bit of info came out. For what it's worth I am with Ram and doc, let's go elsewhere to find some good competetion. Raceland certainly doesn't need GC to make any kind of statement.

I am tired of talking about it and really am giving Copley way too much attention. I'm done with it.

I would hate to see this great rivalry game not happen. It was always a great atmosphere, and until recently most fans have been respectful and kept the smack talk within reason. The fact is these are neighboring schools and many families have relatives invested in both programs. I have always wished Raceland well on their season and root for them in every game but one.

That being said, I can understand why Greenup might want a break. Except for the great gate involved, what does the TEAM have to gain from this game? When they win, they only hear things like..."What does a big 4A school have to brag about beating a little 1 A school?" etc...or comments that they ran up the score (and it was never even a running clock!) If they lose it only gets worse.... Some of the fans from both sides (not referring to any BGP members) take things to far and forget that it is a football game. Yes, historically a great one, and even though Raceland is 1A they have always been competitive. I always looked forward to this game.

I know that Greenup is looking to improve their schedule and play some new teams that will help them get ready for district games. The team next year will be stronger than some think. They have been working hard and getting strong in the weight room. Don't count them out before they have a chance to show folks what they are made of!

On the first bolded part, you have hit the nail on the head. However, I think that is more BGP fodder than what is actually said amongst coaches and those that matter.

On the second, while I don't claim to be an expert on the GC roster, many have stated that GC will be awful next year. So, I'm not sure that "stronger than some think" is much of an upgrade from awful.

On the first bolded part, you have hit the nail on the head. However, I think that is more BGP fodder than what is actually said amongst coaches and those that matter.

On the second, while I don't claim to be an expert on the GC roster, many have stated that GC will be awful next year. So, I'm not sure that "stronger than some think" is much of an upgrade from awful.

I agree, spindoc. The players, coaches and those in the know realize that this game is about much more than what size classification each team is. Look at the old Apple Bowl, Paintsville and Johnson Central had a great thing going until recent memory.

I really don't have any more to say about this. It is what it is and we will fill our schedule one way or another. I am privy to some of the behind the scenes negotiations that were taking place earlier this week with regards to trying to maybe make this series a continued reality and I have to tell you, I would move on. It is not worth the double talk and power play that is being tried. Just sayin'.............

I don't know any of the behind the scenes details regarding negotiations, but I personally think it would be a shame to see this rivalry go by the wayside. I think teams should fill their schedules with as many "big games" as possible. Both teams may fill the void on their schedules with similar competition, but they won't be able to fill it with games that match the crowd, intensity, and rivalry atmosphere that this one provides.

I don't know any of the behind the scenes details regarding negotiations, but I personally think it would be a shame to see this rivalry go by the wayside. I think teams should fill their schedules with as many "big games" as possible. Both teams may fill the void on their schedules with similar competition, but they won't be able to fill it with games that match the crowd, intensity, and rivalry atmosphere that this one provides.

100% correct. That is why I am so happy that Raceland/Russell has been revived. There is no better Friday night experience than the stands full on both sides, bands from both teams present, crowd overflowing down in the endzones and a competitive game on the field. Good times.

With negotiations going on this week...how can anyone post that Greenup has "officially" dropped Raceland from the schedule? I am not sure what the "powerplay" reference is to?

I do know that our Coach was asked to look at how games were scheduled at Greenup in order to balance big game gate years against "off years." In the past GC has had schedules that were basically "all or nothing." By that I mean that one year we would have Ashland, Russell, Raceland at home and the next year they would all be away. Administration asked that this be broken up so that our gate would be more consistent. For example, if we played Russell away next year they wanted to play Raceland at home or vice versa. With new district matchups much of the schedule had to be redone and those games finalized before nondistrict games were negotiated.

I am not sure what the sticking point in the negotiations are at this point. But I am, as several Raceland fans have also mentioned, tired of the drama. I would like to see this game happen, but after all the name calling toward our coach, school and fans I am fine with walking away from it all.

I would like to see this game happen, but after all the name calling toward our coach, school and fans I am fine with walking away from it all.

:thumb: As would I PF for the kids except now after what all that has went down not only do I not care I really don't want the game to continue.

I have said before and will again I have no problem with the GC/BGP fans on here or do I hold anything against the kids.

With negotiations going on this week...how can anyone post that Greenup has "officially" dropped Raceland from the schedule? I am not sure what the "powerplay" reference is to?

Coach Copley told Coach Maynard that he would not sign the contract. Then Mr. Dunaway told Coach Copley to try to make the game happen, so he has since re-contacted Coach Maynard. But, I honestly don't expect this game to happen. Just my opinion.