Conway/Rand debate in NKY

I just am confused as to which Rand Paul the voters like. Is it the first Paul who was pretty much a radical thinker/free talker/off the wall non-conformist? Or is the one that is now under the tutelage/influence of the traditional KY reps who he once said he would not take any money from but since did? He seems to be more in line with the folks in the party that he once bashed.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just am confused as to which Rand Paul the voters like. Is it the first Paul who was pretty much a radical thinker/free talker/off the wall non-conformist? Or is the one that is now under the tutelage/influence of the traditional KY reps who he once said he would not take any money from but since did? He seems to be more in line with the folks in the party that he once bashed.

I wonder if it is more of anti-Conway/Pelosi/Obama/Reid. Paul does not excite me at all but no way do I want to send another cronie of the Democrat triumivirate to DC.

I wonder if it is more of anti-Conway/Pelosi/Obama/Reid. Paul does not excite me at all but no way do I want to send another cronie of the Democrat triumivirate to DC.

Probably the case. I will be curious to see how the Tea Party reps act once they get into the web.

My vote for Paul will be less a vote FOR him then a vote against the Obama, Pelosi, Reid agenda.

For the first time I can remember as a voter I plan to vote a straight party ticket at all levels. I will do nothing to even give the impression that I agree with any of the Democratic agenda.

My vote for Paul will be less a vote FOR him then a vote against the Obama, Pelosi, Reid agenda.

For the first time I can remember as a voter I plan to vote a straight party ticket at all levels. I will do nothing to even give the impression that I agree with any of the Democratic agenda.

I think most Tea Party candidates are banking on your philosophy.

leatherneck, I have responded in bold.

Thanks kygirl. You have provided great support for the position that drugs are a big problem in SE Ky and perhaps in other areas also. But I don't think you have provided much support for why you think the federal govt is best capable of solving the problem or if it even can solve the problem. I don't see much support for why you think local authorities much closer to the problem aren't better able to solve the problem than folks in DC other than Hal's statement that the local folks don't have the resources and manpower (which I'll address below).

I'm not arguing that drugs aren't a problem in SE Ky and other areas, just that it is not the role of the federal govt to be involved. Not every problem, even a severe one, should cause us to go running to the federal govt for the answers. I fully realize our disagreement is probably driven by different perspectives. I come from the camp that does not look to the federal govt to solve my problems, no matter how severe. If the local folks aren't getting it done, the local folks get thrown out of office and new ones elected.

I think the federal govt should concentrate on and be limited to national defense, economic policies, taxes, international trade and treaties, and immigration policies. If we quit sending so much money in the form of taxes to the federal govt to support their intrusions into all the other areas the federal govt is currently involved in, then those tax dollars could be sent to the state govt and local govts for them to address the other problems such as the drug problem you so very eloquently and capably addressed.

Perhaps if the federal govt didn't suck up so much money from people and take it out of the state and send it to the bandits inside the beltway, then local govt units and the state govt would have the manpower and resources necessary to address the problem. I have more faith in local govt than I do in the federal govt. I realize that you may feel differently. Perhaps that's because folks in SE Ky have little faith in their local govt. I'm probably over generalizing, but perhaps that's due to the news stories that fairly regularly come out about the fraud and corruption found in SE Ky local govt. I know that fraud and corruption can be found everywhere, but based on what I read in the news, and even this website, it does seem to be more prevalent in SE Ky. The answer is not to turn to some other govt unit because of fraud and corruption locally, but rather to get rid of the fraud and corruption locally. I'll tell another one of LN's little stories because I think it's on point. Year's ago at a fundraiser for a Rep candidate for Governor, I was discussing the city/county govt consolidation issue being debated in N. Ky at the time. A Rep Judge Executive in N. Ky was supporting the need for consolidation. The city of Ludlow was having some problems at the time that was in the news. The Judge Executive pointed those problems out as a reason why we needed consolidated govt in N. Ky. and stated that the people of Ludlow deserved better govt than what they were getting and they'd get it with a metro type govt system in N. Ky. I'm sure I forever gained his dislike towards me when I told him that he sounded like some Democrat from DC that felt that people in DC knew what was better for people than the people themselves did. I also told him that the people in Ludlow got the govt they deserved because the people of Ludlow elected the city officials causing the problems. My story applied here: if the local govt folks aren't addressing the problem due to incompetency, fraud or corruption, then they should be voted out. If the local govt folks aren't addressing the problem because they don't have the manpower or resources, then let's get them the rsources and manpower by reducing federal income taxes and send those taxes directly to the local folks.

I'm probably again grossly over generalizing, but I get the impression that some folks, maybe a lot of folks, from SE Ky have been raised to believe that the federal govt is THE answer to their problems. Whether its the federal war on poverty, the federal war on drugs, the federal war on illiteracy, etc. Folks like Hal Rogers have done a great job of convincing folks that the federal govt has the answers and solutions to the problems in SE Ky. Of course that may be because Hal wants folks to believe that they really need the federal govt and thus need him, so he needs to get re-elected if the problems are to be solved. Great strategy for a federal politician wanting to get re-elected. Then again, Hal may just be a very compassionate individual that wants to get the federal govt involved and get re-elected to help people in his district get their problems solved. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say it's the latter. Unfortunately in my view, such compassion causes the expansion of the federal govt, the need for ever higher federal income taxes to support the bloated federal govt and the less efficient expenditure of our taxes and resources. As more taxes go to the federal govt and less taxes are available to go to state and local govt, state and local govt have fewer and fewer resources and less and less manpower to address the problems, resulting in more federal officials to claim, just like Hal is on this issue, that the federal govt is the only level of govt able to solve the problems because state and local govt doesn't have the resources and manpower to address the problem. Maybe if the federal govt wasn't sucking up so much money, the state and local govt would be able to solve the problems.

I close by expressing my sympathy for the families you know that have buried loves ones. Please do not mistake my disagreement on whether the federal govt should be involved as failing to recognize the problem or failing to care. Such would not be accurate or true.

Leatherneck, thank you for your thoughtful reply and sincere condolences. As you know this drug problem is an issue near to my heart. I do respectfully disagree with you about the federal government being limited to certain areas. I do agree that I pay way too much in taxes, not only federal but state and local as well. Now I've never paid a tax that was ever taken away. So my thought is they(federal, state and local government) should work together for a solution to this very real and pressing drug problem.