Hope it is a Big Day for Rose

Wildcat Dad

I don't understand why MLB says they can play a taped recording of him by he cannot speak live while he's there. Petty.

Petty? Maybe, but I can certainly understand why. They can control what he says with the taped recording.

Why should he have to keep his mouth shut ? If the greatest hitter to ever play the game doesn't deserve to be in the hall of fame no one does . Bonds and McGuire both took steroids ,thats cheating . Rose bet something probably over 50 % of the players do . Barkley(what hasn't he done ) is a perfect example in Basketball .

If he would have kept his mouth shut he could possible be in the Hall of Fame. I don't think that the voters will vote in either Bonds or McGwire when they are eligible.

50% bet on the games? If that were true it would be all over the news.

Petty? Maybe, but I can certainly understand why. They can control what he says with the taped recording.

I guess. However, if you're that concerned about what he might say you either don't have the ceremony or you tell him what he can say. If he says something inappropriate only he will suffer.

I love Pete Rose and always have admired his style of play, but maybe the years have just diminshed my appreciation for him. It seems to me like he has hardly done anything right to help himself since the suspension, and I always think it odd that Johnny Bench, who played with Pete all those many years really isn't a big Pete supporter.

I love Pete Rose and always have admired his style of play, but maybe the years have just diminshed my appreciation for him. It seems to me like he has hardly done anything right to help himself since the suspension, and I always think it odd that Johnny Bench, who played with Pete all those many years really isn't a big Pete supporter.
Johnny and Pete were never buddies. I imagine that both having substantial egos had something to do with that. Ken Griffey SR. was not a Joe Morgan fan either. Point being, many professional teamates aren't close buddies. It's not high school.

Johnny Bench is a big supporter of Johnny Bench and thats about it.

Johnny and Pete were never buddies. I imagine that both having substantial egos had something to do with that. Ken Griffey SR. was not a Joe Morgan fan either. Point being, many professional teamates aren't close buddies. It's not high school.

True but Mike Schmidt is always taking up for Pete. Joe Morgan seems to support him to a large degree. Perez and Concepcion and Geronimo are always behind #14. Just that Johnny thing bugs me for some reason.

True but Mike Schmidt is always taking up for Pete. Joe Morgan seems to support him to a large degree. Perez and Concepcion and Geronimo are always behind #14. Just that Johnny thing bugs me for some reason.

I believe that Bench and Rose patched up some of their differences recently, due in large part to Rose apologizing for some of his past actions. Bench has always impressed me as a complete egomaniac and particularly unlikeable.

It is as it should be. Lots of Pete Rose "stuff" in Cooperstown, but not his plaque.

I understand but if he is banned from the Wall, then he and all his records should be banned from the Hall, not just the Wall.

Understand I believe as a manager, he broke the biggest rule in baseball but as a player, he didn't. As a player he should be on the Wall.

I understand but if he is banned from the Wall, then he and all his records should be banned from the Hall, not just the Wall.

Understand I believe as a manager, he broke the biggest rule in baseball but as a player, he didn't. As a player he should be on the Wall.

Here's where you and I respectfully disagree.

My son want to Cooperstown last month. He told me that there are several references to PEDs there. IMHO, if it's ever proven that Bonds and Clemens used, there should be very conspicuous exhibits detailing their hitting and pitching records in the Hall; along with even more consipcuous exhibits explaining why their records are there but they are not. (Not to mention the fact that their head and rear end respectively probably wouldn't fit through the front door).

Same with Rose. There should be a big display of his hitting records; with an even bigger display describing why his bats are there and why he isn't. I understand that some want to separate the player from the manager, but it's still the same Pete Rose.

I will say this. Had he been the slightest bit contrite; had he come clean from the beginning and not tried to be bigger than the game; had he not set up shop a couple of blocks from the Hall during induction weekend and hawked autographs; there's probably a good chance that the lifetime ban would have been lifted. And maybe it still will when Selig goes; I don't know.