The Red's Outfield Situation

What is Dusty's plan for the outfield positions going forward? I am having a hard time figuring out what is going on with the outfield lineup and looking for some of the experts to shed some light on it.

Chris Heisey has almost been moved out of the picture all together it seems and his stats show it, 2 for his last 16 and only 2 pinch hit appearance in the last 5 games. Edmonds was brought in I thought to add some experience to the team and he doesn't get the starts against right handers? His average since joining the team, 4 for 26 .154 and he has even made the comment that he can't get any consistency with not playing more.

Stubbs has started to hit lately, 9 for his last 32 .281, but continues to strike out at a high rate and Dusty has moved him back to the 2 hole which doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Lance Nix has been a real bright spot lately, 8 for his last 22 .364 but didn't get the nod last night versus a righty. Which brings us to popup Jonny Gomes who is 4 for his last 25 and leads the world in 350 foot pop ups lately. Bruce seems to be heating up and is probably a fixture in right but could use a break against tough lefties imo.

What is going on with this outfield lineup? Can Dusty just not handle the numbers here? It seems to me that Nix and Edmonds should be getting more starts against the righties and Heisey should be getting some of Gomes' starts. I know it is nice to have a lefty to come off the bench so maybe Nix and Edmonds don't always play together but what gives with neither of them in the lineup last night versus Billingsley and struggling Jonny Gomes in the lineup? Help me out here somebody.

Edited by EZ Living

I asked two or three weeks ago why the Reds were so committed to Gomes, especially after the Edmonds deal ... it seems like such a natural platoon there. Stubbs needs to play CF most of the time, especially because of his defense, and Heisey could be used to spell Bruce against tough lefties and as a defensive replacement in left.

I think Bruce has to be out there almost every game, save against tough lefties and the spot rest day.

Stubbs should be gettn 4-5 starts in center a week, with Edmonds getting the other couple.

Gomes should play in LF against lefties and Nix against righties. Gomes is such a liability both offensively and defensively it's scary.

Dusty must be reading BGP.

Getting enough playing time for all six outfielders has been a challenge.

“I mix them around with who I think can hit who,” Dusty Baker said, “and whether I need defense that day. That’s why (Drew) Stubbs has been playing so much, especially in Arizona with that big outfield. You want your best defensive outfield.

“(Laynce) Nix has been playing more in left, especially against tough right-handers. Jonny (Gomes) has ben struggling.”

Chris Heisey gets the least playing time of the six.

“He’s going to start tomorrow,” Baker said. “It’s been challenging. You can’t play everybody. You’ve got to play who you think is best that day.”

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/08/21/baker-on-playing-time-for-the-outfielders/

Let's revisit this one after the season and we'll compare ABs of the outfielders for the last six weeks of the season. I'm guessing Nix and Heisey will have the fewest of the six.

And Bruce and Stubbs will have more than anyone...So much for your sitting the young guys theory...