Longest in state winning streaks

Walter

The record is 50 by Trinity. http://www.khsaa.org/records/football/statefootballteamrecords.pdf

42 by Danville and Breathitt

47 by Boyle

Those are overall wins, right Hatz? Highlands has won 41 straight against Kentucky teams, but there are a couple losses to Ohio teams sprinkled in there so they aren't threatening Boyle, Danville, Breathitt, and Trinity just yet.

Those are overall wins, right Hatz? Highlands has won 41 straight against Kentucky teams, but there are a couple losses to Ohio teams sprinkled in there so they aren't threatening Boyle, Danville, Breathitt, and Trinity just yet.

That would be one loss to OH teams. Cincinnati Colerain in 08. I believe the Birds are 44-1 in the past 3 seasons. Their last loss to a Ky team was CovCath in 06.

Edited by malachicrunch

Good stuff guys...so what is the longest IN STATE winning streak? I'd assume Trinity played some national teams in their streak.

What about Danville and Boyle?

I would almost assume that all of the top 4 in the listing are "in state" streaks. I don't remember Trinity playing out of state that much in those days but as usual can be wrong.

Walter, I don't think KHSAA keeps records like "in state" winning streaks or "regular season" winning streaks. The current record for consecutive state titles is 5 and Highlands is not too far away from that one. Boyle holds that record.

The current record for consecutive state titles is 5 and Highlands is not too far away from that one. Boyle holds that record.

Highlands has won three straight going into this season, but it's a TALL, TALL order winning five straight. Trinity's recent run of four straight in the large-school class is extremely impressive. Highlands has won three straight before, but never four.

Winning back-to back titles in any football class (whether it's two straight or more than that) is some feat, and really a credit to a school's coaching staff and players. I would think it could become easy for coaches/players to ease off the pedal a bit once they win a title; plus, when you are a defending state champion you have a big bullseye on your back.

It would be interesting to study those programs that have won consecutive titles and see if the coaches/players approach things differently once they've won one title and are making their run at a second, third, etc.

It would be interesting to study those programs that have won consecutive titles and see if the coaches/players approach things differently once they've won one title and are making their run at a second, third, etc.

I would bet that the biggest factor in repeating is the talent coming back. The biggest reason teams do not repeat is because they lose the seniors that led them to victories. Highlands always has some Jimmy's and Joe's to go with the exceptional coaching and community support. They have a great chance of extending that in state and overall win streak due to these factors, IMO.

That would be one loss to OH teams. Cincinnati Colerain in 08. I believe the Birds are 44-1 in the past 3 seasons. Their last loss to a Ky team was CovCath in 06.

Thanks for the clarification. I couldn't remember if there was another loss besides the Colerain game; for some reason I thought they lost to Elder but that might have been Trinity.

As for Highlands, if they have won 28 straight, then an undefeated championship season this year would push them to 43 consecutive wins and past Danville and Breathitt County. Only Boyle County and Trinity would stand in the way. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Birds make that move this year.

Good stuff guys...so what is the longest IN STATE winning streak? I'd assume Trinity played some national teams in their streak.

What about Danville and Boyle?

I couldn't find Danville's records from their streak, but if memory holds, they beat a team from Pennsylvania in the Thoroughbred Bowl at Tates Creek at the start of the 1991(?) season, which I think was their only out-of-state win in the streak.

As for Boyle County, their streak started in the fall of 1999 and last until week three of the 2002 season. The results are below. What is often forgotten is that after the 2002 losses to Danville and West Jessamine, Boyle County went on to win 25 straight games. Over a 75 game stretch the Rebels compiled an unbelievable 73-2 record!

1. Pikeville (A) 24-6

2. Southwestern (H) 33-32

3. Danville (A) 28-3

4. Harrodsburg (H) 47-0

5. Owen County (A) 56-6

6. Lexington Catholic (H) 29-21

7. Mercer County (A) 58-7

8. West Jessamine (H) 42-6

9. Henry County (A) 58-3

10. Garrard County (H) 60-6

11. Fleming County (H) 49-8

12. Russell (H) 34-6

13. Lexington Catholic (H) 21-17

14. Middlesboro (H) 66-14

15. Glasgow (KFEC) 29-6

16. Breathitt County (Mt. Sterling) 69-8

17. Southwestern (A) 44-14

18. Danville (H) 47-0

19. Harrodsburg (A) 57-13

20. Owen County (H) 57-0

21. Lexington Catholic (A) 16-14

22. Mercer County (H) 66-0

23. West Jessamine (A) 67-13

24. Henry County (H) 68-0

25. Garrard County (A) 73-30

26. Fleming County (H) 59-12

27. Mason County (H) 62-6

28. Lexington Catholic (H) 18-16

29. Prestonsburg (A) 56-8

30. Glasgow (KFEC) 38-6

31. George Rogers Clark (Mt. Sterling) 52-7

32. Henry Clay (H) 32-0

33. Danville (A) 24-21

34. Harrodsburg (H) 62-8

35. West Jessamine (H) 59-0

36. Marion County (A) 66-8

37. Lincoln County (H) 69-0

38. East Jessamine (A) 56-24

39. McCreary Central (A) 63-6

40. Pulaski County (H) 48-0

41. North Bullitt (H) 52-0

42. Bullitt East (H) 64-13

43. Central (A) 40-9

44. Hopkinsville (A) 28-21

45. Rockcastle County (KFEC) 49-14

46. Bardstown (A) 60-0

47. Henry Clay (A) 35-0

Danville (H) 10-20 loss that broke 47-game winning streak

Prestonsburg (A) 55-0

West Jessamine (A) 9-13 perhaps the oddest loss in Chuck Smith's tenure; it came a downpour that night, but I'm still not sure how Boyle lost to West

Marion County (H) 58-0

Lincoln County (A) 62-0

East Jessamine (H) 35-7

McCreary Central (H) 68-0

Pulaski County (A) 42-6

Doss (H) 49-0

Pulaski County (H) 30-9

Bullitt East (H) 45-0

Hopkinsville (H) 13-7

Rockcastle County (KFEC) 21-0

Nice work gchs...I find it interesting though that neither Covcath or Highlands were in there during that 47 game streak.

The 99 and 00 teams are widely regarded as two of the best teams to ever come through HHS program.

The 99 team when 14-1 with their only loss coming to Cincy Elder.

The 00 team went 14-1 with their only loss coming to Cincy Elder.

Would have loved to see Boyle and Highlands meet in those two years.

Nice work gchs...I find it interesting though that neither Covcath or Highlands were in there during that 47 game streak.

The 99 and 00 teams are widely regarded as two of the best teams to ever come through HHS program.

Last years team might have an argument about the best team ever ! :D

I remember there was a lot of talk about Boyle and Highlands playing back then. If I'm not mistaken, those two did meet in the regular season during the 2002 and 2003 seasons.