Calling all Highlands football historians...

jbwill2

In 1989 Highlands played 2 bowl games. They opened with the Thouroughbred bowl beating Jessamine County 51-8 in Lexington and followed the next week with the Hall of Fame Bowl (August 26th played at Henderson County) and lost to Paducah Tighlman 25-24. This was the only loss for the 89 team and they beat PT in the state finals 7-3 to revenge it.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 1989 Highlands played 2 bowl games. They opened with the Thouroughbred bowl beating Jessamine County 51-8 in Lexington and followed the next week with the Hall of Fame Bowl (August 26th played at Henderson County) and lost to Paducah Tighlman 25-24. This was the only loss for the 89 team and they beat PT in the state finals 7-3 to revenge it.

Was this at Henderson County High School?

Both of the '90 games were bowl games

Corbin - HHS was in the Thoroughbred Bowl

Belfrey - HHS was in the Pike County Bowl

Not sure about '94 but would be willing to bet it was the Thoroughbred bowl as HHS played in that game almost every year during the late '80s through the '90s

Both of the '90 games were bowl games

Corbin - HHS was in the Thoroughbred Bowl

Belfrey - HHS was in the Pike County Bowl

Not sure about '94 but would be willing to bet it was the Thoroughbred bowl as HHS played in that game almost every year during the late '80s through the '90s

Is/was the Pike County Bowl played at Pike County High School (which is now Pike County Central) or Pikeville HS?

Thanks everyone for all the help thus far. I contacted both Tates Creek HS (where the Thoroughbred Bowl was held) and Montgomery County HS (where the Recreation Bowl was/is held) in order to obtain copies of all the previous bowl participants, but so far no luck.

Also, it seems, as has been pointed out, that HHS played in the Thoroughbred Bowl about every year in the late 80s/early 90s. I see where in 1988 Highlands opened the season against Louisville Pleasure Ridge Park. Was this a Thoroughbred Bowl game as well?

Thanks everyone for all the help thus far. I contacted both Tates Creek HS (where the Thoroughbred Bowl was held) and Montgomery County HS (where the Recreation Bowl was/is held) in order to obtain copies of all the previous bowl participants, but so far no luck.

Also, it seems, as has been pointed out, that HHS played in the Thoroughbred Bowl about every year in the late 80s/early 90s. I see where in 1988 Highlands opened the season against Louisville Pleasure Ridge Park. Was this a Thoroughbred Bowl game as well?

The 88 game was just a regular opener. No bowl game I am aware of. It was played at PRP.

This is an odd request, but...

Does anyone happen to have access to the 1958 Highlands yearbook (Highlander)? I'm wondering if perhaps Henry521 or a member of her family has one?

In the unlikely chance that someone does, I would be very interested in knowing what games are listed for the HHS football team FOR THE 1957 SEASON.

Highlands' official all-time win-loss-tie record (the one accepted by the KHSAA and the national record book) assumes that Highlands played and won 10 games that year. Birdsfan is indicating Highlands played Deek Park, Ohio that year, giving them an 11-0 record. Coach Homer Rice once wrote a letter stating Highlands had a forfeit win over a team called Hamilton Catholic, this making their record 11-0 on the year (he didn't mention anything about playing/beating Deek Park). I'm curious if the yearbook sheds light on this.

According to the KHSAA's records/stats department, if evidence (such as a yearbook) can be presented showing the existence of a game, the official books can be amended. Every win counts!

Does anyone happen to have access to the 1958 Highlands yearbook (Highlander)? I'm wondering if perhaps Henry521 or a member of her family has one?

In the unlikely chance that someone does, I would be very interested in knowing what games are listed for the HHS football team FOR THE 1957 SEASON.

Highlands' official all-time win-loss-tie record (the one accepted by the KHSAA and the national record book) assumes that Highlands played and won 10 games that year. Birdsfan is indicating Highlands played Deek Park, Ohio that year, giving them an 11-0 record. Coach Homer Rice once wrote a letter stating Highlands had a forfeit win over a team called Hamilton Catholic, this making their record 11-0 on the year (he didn't mention anything about playing/beating Deek Park). I'm curious if the yearbook sheds light on this.

According to the KHSAA's records/stats department, if evidence (such as a yearbook) can be presented showing the existence of a game, the official books can be amended. Every win counts!

I'm thinking you have the same reference book I have but here goes:

Highlands 1957

HHS 30 Deer Park, OH 6

HHS 33 Dayton 6

HHS 46 LLoyd 0

HHS 28 Boone Co. 6

HHS 35 Bellevue 6

HHS 47 Newport 6

HHS 70 Ludlow 0

HHS 58 Holmes 7

HHS 46 Campbell 0

HHS 27 Dixie Heights 7

HHS 20 Danville, KY 6

Henry521, your records go along with Birdsfan's. Mine does not list the Deek Park game, and a copy of a letter written by Homer Rice to a well-known Fort Thomas resident (initials: KH) back in 1997 does not mention the Deek Park game either. I have (sadly enough!) actually gone through all 1048 "official" games HHS has played and counted up the W's/L's/T's... the overall record does not reflect an 11-game season. Weird...

Perhaps Highlands is actually sitting at 788 wins, and not 787.

Heck BF and my records say we played 11 games, we played 11 games. We all know the KHSAA isn't ALWAYS right.:ylsuper:

I believe my dad has this yearbook, I will check with him. Meanwhile, I found the yearbook on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/1958-FORT-THOMAS-HIGHLANDS-KY-yearbook-FOOTBALL-CHAMPS-/260634051626?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Nonfiction_Book&hash=item3caf00042a

Maybe you could email him and ask them what it says. In the description, it states Highlands went 10-0 and claimed the mythical state championship.