Gatlinburg

GrizzlyAdams

Next week me and my girlfriends family is going down there for 11 days. I have never been but they have been numerous times. For those of you who have been there, whats your favorite thing to do down there and what are some things would you recommend? Thanks!

The Smokey Mountain Brewery has some of the best pizza I've ever had (odd I know). Also has some great micro-brews. Other than that, my favorite thing to do in Gatlinburg is to leave Gatlinburg. Not a big fan. HOWEVER, if you are actually going to be spending a lot of time in the park and enjoy hiking, there are many awesome hiking trails, several of which lead up Mt. LeConte and offer magnificent views.

Best piece of advice if your going to be staying that long is to not try and get it all in a day or two, spread out your activities. If you've never been to Gatlinburg then It'll be a pretty fun time for you, but like Myrtle Beach is the type of place that if you've been once or twice you've been a million times. Not saying its not enjoyable no matter how many times you go, but like said, I would spread out the activities so you won't get bored doing the same things over and over.

As far as activities though there is a random assortment.

You can go to Ober Gatlinburg which is on top of the mountain and has a whole assortment of things in itself to do. There is the Aquarium, Ripleys Museum, all sorts of places like that. While close I would encourage going to Pigeon Forge, for there is lots of things to do there as well. Dollywood is probably your best option while down that way, and that is in Pigeon Forge. Theres also some horse riding places where you can go on horse rides, and lots of other outdoor activities.

If you are an outdoorsman I would recommend the Bass Pro Shop in Sevierville, and even if your not, you'll still probably be wanting to check it out before your stay is up. Theres also a Cubs Affilate Minor League team down there, I'm wanting to say AA, Tennessee Smokies I think is the name, and they are located close to the Bass Pro Shop in Sevierville.

Then last but not least you can golf, which is what I would mostly do if I were to go back down there. Between Knoxville, Sevierville, and everywhere in between where you will be at you should find a couple courses to your liking if you enjoy playing golf. Since your girlfriend has been numerous times, I'm sure your well aware of the shopping outlets, as I'm sure she is going to be focused in on that quite a bit. All I can say there is good luck. :D

Hope you have a good time. :thumb:

The Smokey Mountain Brewery has some of the best pizza I've ever had (odd I know). Also has some great micro-brews. Other than that, my favorite thing to do in Gatlinburg is to leave Gatlinburg. Not a big fan. HOWEVER, if you are actually going to be spending a lot of time in the park and enjoy hiking, there are many awesome hiking trails, several of which lead up Mt. LeConte and offer magnificent views.

Order the "testers" At Smoky Mtn. Brewery. It's samples of all the beers they brew. I highly recommend them.

Best piece of advice if your going to be staying that long is to not try and get it all in a day or two, spread out your activities. If you've never been to Gatlinburg then It'll be a pretty fun time for you, but like Myrtle Beach is the type of place that if you've been once or twice you've been a million times. Not saying its not enjoyable no matter how many times you go, but like said, I would spread out the activities so you won't get bored doing the same things over and over.

As far as activities though there is a random assortment.

You can go to Ober Gatlinburg which is on top of the mountain and has a whole assortment of things in itself to do. There is the Aquarium, Ripleys Museum, all sorts of places like that. While close I would encourage going to Pigeon Forge, for there is lots of things to do there as well. Dollywood is probably your best option while down that way, and that is in Pigeon Forge. Theres also some horse riding places where you can go on horse rides, and lots of other outdoor activities.

If you are an outdoorsman I would recommend the Bass Pro Shop in Sevierville, and even if your not, you'll still probably be wanting to check it out before your stay is up. Theres also a Cubs Affilate Minor League team down there, I'm wanting to say AA, Tennessee Smokies I think is the name, and they are located close to the Bass Pro Shop in Sevierville.

Then last but not least you can golf, which is what I would mostly do if I were to go back down there. Between Knoxville, Sevierville, and everywhere in between where you will be at you should find a couple courses to your liking if you enjoy playing golf. Since your girlfriend has been numerous times, I'm sure your well aware of the shopping outlets, as I'm sure she is going to be focused in on that quite a bit. All I can say there is good luck. :D

Hope you have a good time. :thumb:

If you like minor league baseball, there are quite a few Appalachian League teams within driving distance in east Tennessee. Check minorleaguebaseball.com.

If you like to fish for trout but don't have a fly rod, try what I do. I always take ultralight equipment with me and cast upstream just like you would with a fly rod. Check out the fly shops as well to get an idea what the fish are hitting on.

I agree with Hammertime ... the Apple Barn in Pigeon Forge is a must any time we go to the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area (expect a wait but you can hang in the gift shop till they call you).

For 11 day stay ... wow ... the area has a lot to do but that is a long time to hang there IMO. Nevertheless, here are some things I recommend - Cade's Cove; drive through the mountains to Cherokee (just to say you did it); hiking on the many trails in the area; Dollywood is good; lots of outlet stores for those who like to shop; ride the ski lift in Gatlinburg.

Finally, brace yourself for the traffic. It is bad to horrible. If you drive in on a Friday night, make sure you bring a LOT of music to listen to in the car.