Gatlinburg

GrizzlyAdams

I agree with Hammertime ... the Apple Barn in Pigeon Forge is a must any time we go to the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area (expect a wait but you can hang in the gift shop till they call you).

For 11 day stay ... wow ... the area has a lot to do but that is a long time to hang there IMO. Nevertheless, here are some things I recommend - Cade's Cove; drive through the mountains to Cherokee (just to say you did it); hiking on the many trails in the area; Dollywood is good; lots of outlet stores for those who like to shop; ride the ski lift in Gatlinburg.

Finally, brace yourself for the traffic. It is bad to horrible. If you drive in on a Friday night, make sure you bring a LOT of music to listen to in the car.

Or a Sunday late afternoon or evening too. Crazy traffic.

My favorite is Cades Cove and going tubing in Townsend TN. We have reservstions at the Mountaineer Campground later this month. Townsend is the quite side of the Smokies.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

If you're going to check out Cades Cove in the summer months, you've GOT to hike the Abram's Falls Trail. It's a pretty easy 5 mile hike, round trip, with the falls at the turn-around. Abram's is a very pretty 20' waterfall, with a nice big splash pool that you can take all go for a swim in you like. I make the trip every time I'm in Gatlinburg in the summer.

abrams-falls.jpg

If you've never been white water rafting before there are several rafting trips on the Pigeon River. If you have been rafting before, it will probably be a disappointment, but great for beginners.

The Old Mill restaurant in Pigeon Forge is always good too.

Go through downtown Gatlinburg, then past the visitors center. Another mile or so is the Mounds campground/picnic area. Take a lunch basket with you and you can pull into a spot, grill burgers and dogs or whatever. Then you and your kids/family walk over to the stream running along side the picnic area. Ice cold water coming down from the mountains the kids love it!

We spent last week there and had a great time. We spent most of out time in the park hiking to waterfalls.

If you get to Cherokee, go to the Mingo Falls. They are 120 feet tall and one of the tallest and most spectacular in the southern Appalachians. The hike is only .8 miles.

You have Clingmans Dome which is the highest point in the Smokies and the second highest point east of the Mississippi.

Try the Wood Grill Buffet in Pigeon Forge for breakfast. We ate there three straight days.

Everyone says to take in a show or two, but we didn't have the time.

Just visited there and we did a zip line tour with http://www.climbworkscanopy.com/

It was AWESOME. There are a few other ones down there where you have to slow yourself down with your hand. I think you wear a glove and reach up and grab the line to slow your speed. However with this one, you just enjoy the ride and you don't have to "brake" yourself on the line. It took about 2 hours (9 zip lines, 3 bridges and a suprise ending) and man was it fun!! I highly recommend it!!

The Smokey Mountain Brewery has some of the best pizza I've ever had (odd I know). Also has some great micro-brews. Other than that, my favorite thing to do in Gatlinburg is to leave Gatlinburg. Not a big fan. HOWEVER, if you are actually going to be spending a lot of time in the park and enjoy hiking, there are many awesome hiking trails, several of which lead up Mt. LeConte and offer magnificent views.

Thanks for the pizza tip. I'm down here for work and just had lunch at the Pigeon Forge location. For a simple pepperoni pizza I'm not sure if I've had one better. Its neck and neck with a place south of Pittsburgh. Tasty (and greasy).

Grizzly must be on about day 5 or 6 by now? Is he on suicide watch or still having a good time. 11 days with the potential in laws in gatlinburg has to be rough. I think it will be a make or break trip for him and her.:lol:

My favorite is Cades Cove and going tubing in Townsend TN. We have reservstions at the Mountaineer Campground later this month. Townsend is the quite side of the Smokies.

I agree with Rebel, this is the wonderful flavor of the mountains, wonderful time. Just keep an eye on little ones if you go tubing