Cubs are anti-Reds

Here’s a great thing about beating the Cub-ettes. I mean beyond their massive collection of fans who dont know the score after the top of the 1st and really don’t care:

The Cubs are the anti-Reds. Fat, old and lifeless and playing out a six-month string. Proof that money buys things, not happiness.

They’re flopping with a $144m payroll. They’re diving with 8 players making at least $11.5m this year. If money bought brains, the Cubs would be Einstein. As it is, they’re Pam Anderson. They give hope to teams like the Reds. Their five highest-paid players make more than the entire Reds roster. It’s hilarious how bad the contracts are:

The rest of the story.

Cubs and their fans have no ground to stand on because someone could simply say "100" or whatever the streak is at now.

But the Reds haven't even played in a post season game since 1995, no, I'm not counting the play in game in 1999. Despite the post season disasters, the Cubs have played in 21 post season games since the Reds last appearance.

Reds haven't even had a winning season in nearly a decade. I'm happy for the Reds, all of us that have sat through year after year of El Grande and the crappy left hander on FSN deserve to see something positive happen to this franchise. Making fun of the Cubs, their payroll and their struggles is just a waste of time, predictable and boring.

This is pretty funny. The Reds are a game and 1/2 up in early July and now they are baseballs golden boys. I'll agree with camel here, and the Cubs are my most despised team in baseball. Should the Cubs not try and buy players to get better? Maybe they go through an entire decade of losing like the Reds and then have a good, not great, product on the field. Sorry but I think all of us would take the route the Cubbies have taken rather then rely on Scott Rolen and Johnny Gomes. It would be pretty hard to predict the injuries and meltdowns the Cubs have had.

It is really annoying to live in this city right now as a Cardinal fan, but then again I felt the same way in 06 when in August the Reds were only a game back, and that ended pretty well for me.

Cubs and their fans have no ground to stand on because someone could simply say "100" or whatever the streak is at now.

But the Reds haven't even played in a post season game since 1995, no, I'm not counting the play in game in 1999. Despite the post season disasters, the Cubs have played in 21 post season games since the Reds last appearance.

Reds haven't even had a winning season in nearly a decade. I'm happy for the Reds, all of us that have sat through year after year of El Grande and the crappy left hander on FSN deserve to see something positive happen to this franchise. Making fun of the Cubs, their payroll and their struggles is just a waste of time, predictable and boring.

All of that has nothing to do with this year's Cubs team, and that is what Doc is talking about.

This is pretty funny. The Reds are a game and 1/2 up in early July and now they are baseballs golden boys. I'll agree with camel here, and the Cubs are my most despised team in baseball. Should the Cubs not try and buy players to get better? Maybe they go through an entire decade of losing like the Reds .

I believe the Cubs did that in the 70's and 80's.

I believe the Cubs did that in the 70's and 80's.

So what should the Cubs do then? I mean don't get jealous, just because they can go get players, and write an article ripping them about it because the Reds finally are good. I'd like to here what Doc would suggest to do if he were the GM of the Cubs.

It would be pretty hard to predict the injuries and meltdowns the Cubs have had.
No, it wasn't ... a lot of us have seen this coming, given the aging roster and declining production of several key players. It was obvious in 2008, after the first-round playoff sweep by the Dodgers, that the window of serious contention for that team was closing fast.

All of that has nothing to do with this year's Cubs team, and that is what Doc is talking about.

My point is that taking cheap shots to a team that's struggling is pointless. This Cubs team finished 83-78 last year, finishing 2nd, make it sound like they are the Royals of the National League.

Reds finally put a winning product on the field, appear to have some nice pieces in place for years to come and for him to take make some of those remarks is just ridiculous.

Doesn't matter, Cubs are well on their way to a 70-92 season at best, Lou is gone after this season and hopefully they can trade away a few of the vets at the deadline.

My point is that taking cheap shots to a team that's struggling is pointless. This Cubs team finished 83-78 last year, finishing 2nd, make it sound like they are the Royals of the National League.

Reds finally put a winning product on the field, appear to have some nice pieces in place for years to come and for him to take make some of those remarks is just ridiculous.

He's trying to sell newspapers, or advertising. What do you expect? :D

He's trying to sell newspapers, or advertising. What do you expect? :D

I know it works both ways and when the Cubs were doing well a couple years ago, I wouldn't be surprised if their writers didn't take shots at the Reds for the low points they have reached recently.

I know he isn't the only one guilty of it.

Cubs are a bad team and its time to blow it up and start all over. Derrek Lee just hit into another double play.

I'd like to see Hendry gone. Lou needs to retire. Maybe bring Brenly down out of the booth to manage.

Jettison Lee, Ramirez, Zambrano, Fukudome, and Theriot.

The team just doesn't mesh well and it's obvious.

Cubs won division titles in 1984 and 1989

And they had some winning season in the early 70's, but there was more than 10 years of losing seasons during those decades.