Demarko Foster Recruitment

Good post but somewhat of a moot point now in Kentucky as all public high school juniors take the ACT in their junior year as part of the state's testing program.

It is still a valid point as there are many junior athletes at the private schools correct? I do not believe the new rule applies to them.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For any of you young athletes that read the post's here, it's not fine to take your first ACT exam in the Spring of your senior year. Most colleges aren't heavily considering you until they know you can score high enough to be cleared. While you're sitting on the ball, another athlete who may be just as talented or sometimes less talented will take your scholarship while you procrastinate, because they already have the score to prove their merit, so don't ever assume you are the only one receiving that schools offer. You know the saying "stay ahead of the game" take your ACT early and it gives you a chance to improve the score if it's not at as high as you or the schools would like.

Not trying to be a sour grape on your post, but we don't want to give athletes the wrong message. The message should be for them to prep their education early, like in the junior year and enjoy the senior year knowing they have the hard part behind them.

I also like this post. :thumb:

Good post but somewhat of a moot point now in Kentucky as all public high school juniors take the ACT in their junior year as part of the state's testing program.

Why would the ACT be mandatory for all high school juniors? This is a college entrance exam. If a particular student does not plan on attending college, are you sure they must take the ACT?

Why would the ACT be mandatory for all high school juniors? This is a college entrance exam. If a particular student does not plan on attending college, are you sure they must take the ACT?[/QUOTE]

Yes, state mandated now for all juniors. Even your Sp Ed students take it. They are allowed special accommodation according to their IEP. The only ones exempt are the Functional students that are not on a diploma tract.

Why would the ACT be mandatory for all high school juniors? This is a college entrance exam. If a particular student does not plan on attending college, are you sure they must take the ACT?

Yes. The ACT is now part of the state accountability testing for all public school students in Kentucky, regardless of their intent on going to college.

Why would the ACT be mandatory for all high school juniors? This is a college entrance exam. If a particular student does not plan on attending college, are you sure they must take the ACT?[/QUOTE]

Yes, state mandated now for all juniors. Even your Sp Ed students take it. They are allowed special accommodation according to their IEP. The only ones exempt are the Functional students that are not on a diploma tract.

Yes. The ACT is now part of the state accountability testing for all public school students in Kentucky, regardless of their intent on going to college.

Thanks for the clarification. Was optional when I was in school. Is the test paid for by the state or does the student incur a fee?

Thanks for the clarification. Was optional when I was in school. Is the test paid for by the state or does the student incur a fee?[/QUOTE]

It is free when they take it as Juniors when mandated by the state. Any other time they want to take it, they pay for it.

I didn't mean it as a knock on him.

As stated above, grades aren't an issue and neither should the ACT with him.

I can see where you're coming from though...that he basically skipped the test after his coach told him to take it.

I asked Damarkco and he said the coach never told him to skip the game.

Edited by gold sunrise
Rule 13

From the above link:

...He previously was scheduled to take the test in December.

“We were going down to Bourbon County to play Bryan Station and I told him to skip the game to take the test,” Russell said. ”But then we got down there and we were getting off the bus, and there he was. I think he knew I wasn’t going to let him get on the bus, so he just went down with his family.”

Damarkco was not instructed to miss the game. He rode down on the bus with the team.

Edited by gold sunrise
Rule 13

Damarkco was not instructed to miss the game. He rode down on the bus with the team.

I asked Damarkco and he said the coach never told him to skip the game.

Coach Russell made the following statement:

“We were going down to Bourbon County to play Bryan Station and I told him to skip the game to take the test,” Russell said. ”But then we got down there and we were getting off the bus, and there he was. I think he knew I wasn’t going to let him get on the bus, so he just went down with his family.”

Hmm.......:confused: