Private School Myths De-Bunked

rockmom

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Private school Fact #1: A kid can show up to your school no matter where he lives or where he has went to school and play from day one as long as he is academically eligible. Can a kid do this at a public school?

This thread is about Myths, not facts. :D Please stick to the topic.

Private school Fact #1: A kid can show up to your school no matter where he lives or where he has went to school and play from day one as long as he is academically eligible. Can a kid do this at a public school?

YES! If the student athlete has not played in a varsity contest he can play. The rule is the same for public or private.

I agree with TrinityAlum... how is it any different at a public school than it is at a private school?

I know of a kid who received free lunch at a public school and transfered to a private school that requires tuition. Mom still lived in public housing while he attended the private school and played basketball. I'm sure his case was forwarded to the KHSAA since he is no longer at the private school.

Just because it doesn't happen in your backyard doesn't mean it doesn't happen in the "neighborhood."

I know of a kid who received free lunch at a public school and transfered to a private school that requires tuition. Mom still lived in public housing while he attended the private school and played basketball. I'm sure his case was forwarded to the KHSAA since he is no longer at the private school.

Just because it doesn't happen in your backyard doesn't mean it doesn't happen in the "neighborhood."

Didn't that happen in Ohio? And isn't he playing for the Cavs now? :D

I don't know anything about the situation you cite, but it sounds to me like the system worked.

Your wrong? At a private school they can only play under the same guidelines as if they could play at a public. Where do you get your information.

Either that or the people paying tuition decided to wash their hands of the situation and not re-up for another year.

If it was a catholic school there are ways to lessen the cost of tution sometimes even more than 50%. If the kid recieves the need anaylsis and pass the Diocese standards, he can go into a work program that is strictly watched and cost a little more. But once again just because they live in public housing does not mean their mother did not make the private school education a priority. You do not know that indivdual circumstance. You don't know what cuts in her spending she had to make to send her child their.

Without any fact to back this up, its shameful as someone as respected as you on this site, to imply otherwise.

This happens more than you think

Show me or give me an example.

If you want example of a public school taking a kid immediatly.

Covington Holmes High School last year 9th region winner in basketball. A public school mind you. Had two starters who were on opposing 9th region teams varsity roster the year before.(Greg Rice - Holy Cross, Nate Edmonson-Simon Kenton). Both transfered to Holmes last year played immediatly and hence won the regional title.

Don't act like this is a one way street.

Show me where I said it was a one way street. I never said anything of the sort. As far as the other situation, what I know about that case would stun a team of oxen in their tracks. It wasn't a Catholic school in your neck of the woods, so relax and quit pointing fingers.