Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Private School Myths De-Bunked

Featured Replies

Show me where I said it was a one way street. I never said anything of the sort. As far as the other situation, what I know about that case would stun a team of oxen in their tracks. It wasn't a Catholic school in your neck of the woods, so relax and quit pointing fingers.

 

I'm not pointing fingers. But whenever a poster like the one above did, wants to make it sound like only private schools have this advantage or that advantage, I will be here to point out a case where public schools did the same.

 

There is no one advantage out there that a private school has that alot of public schools don't posses also. If anything Catholic schools are crippled in the fact that public schools are allowed to offer free tution to everyone.

 

Its not like players are getting paid to play, tution assistance helps a student negate cost so they can attend a school of choice. The don't touch any of the money. Its no like Catholic school players are rocking rolex's or driving BMW's to school curtosy of school boosters.

  • Replies 53
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After all of this reading I have a new IGNORED person....anyone care to guess?

I've been on record as saying I am against the vote. This was simply a case of locking the barn after the horse has been stolen. Public schools should have gotten together 10-15 years ago when the private school recruiting problem was much worse. But since the KHSAA chose to bury their heads in the sand, the problem got worse and some public schools decided to try and level the playing fields themselves (we all know which ones came under the most scrutiny) by doing some recruiting of their own and going across the state line to "attract" star athletes.

 

This whole proposal is unlikely to pass, but I think public schools and their vote yesterday sent a strong message to the KHSAA that most of their membership (which is described as a self-governing body BTW) is unhappy with the interpretation of the rules when it comes to both public and private schools and the failure to level punishment evenly and fairly in ALL cases.

I've been on record as saying I am against the vote. This was simply a case of locking the barn after the horse has been stolen. Public schools should have gotten together 10-15 years ago when the private school recruiting problem was much worse. But since the KHSAA chose to bury their heads in the sand, the problem got worse and some public schools decided to try and level the playing fields themselves (we all know which ones came under the most scrutiny) by doing some recruiting of their own and going across the state line to "attract" star athletes.

 

This whole proposal is unlikely to pass, but I think public schools and their vote yesterday sent a strong message to the KHSAA that most of their membership (which is described as a self-governing body BTW) is unhappy with the interpretation of the rules when it comes to both public and private schools and the failure to level punishment evenly and fairly in ALL cases.

 

It must be horrible in Louisville and Lexington or something. I know of no NKY school that has ever been punished and only a few times when people have even questioned the player involved. Almost 99% of all NKY Catholic HS players came through Catholic grade schools. There was not one kid I know of my senior year in High School in basketball that on Holy Cross or CCH that did not attend a catholic grade school.

I'm not a Catholic and I'm not 100% familiar with the workings of the Catholic ladder when it comes to schooling, athletics, and such. My point of view is directed toward the non-Catholic private school, of which I am familiar with.

It must be horrible in Louisville and Lexington or something. I know of no NKY school that has ever been punished and only a few times when people have even questioned the player involved. Almost 99% of all NKY Catholic HS players came through Catholic grade schools. There was not one kid I know of my senior year in High School in basketball that on Holy Cross or CCH that did not attend a catholic grade school.

 

 

Don't forget about EKY. There has always been one school in particular that it has been popular to get on the, " hey, they are recruiting since they beat us" bandwagon.

 

Then there are 2 Ind. schools in EKY that fingers have been pointed at, or at least rumors have been started by surrounding schools.

 

Point a finger, then deny. EKY schools do this all the time.

  • Author
I'm not a Catholic and I'm not 100% familiar with the workings of the Catholic ladder when it comes to schooling, athletics, and such. My point of view is directed toward the non-Catholic private school, of which I am familiar with.

 

 

In the CSAA, here in Louisville, if a kid is a member of a parish, even if he does not attend school there, he is able to play for that school's athletic teams. The teams represent the PARISH, not necessarily the school.

 

Some of the kids go to public schools.

 

I believe that if information is distributed to children at a Catholic parish school, it is also made available to other children of the parish who do not attend school there. I do know that information is sent from the Catholic schools to Catholic kids. Some of those may be public school kids. I think this is one area where people think that schools like Trinity & X are "recruiting public school athletes".

 

For instance, a child attending Fern Creek Elementary, or Fern Creek Middle school, is a member of St. Gabriel. As they are members of the parish, they play, let's say, basketball, on St. Gabriel's team. They are listed, along with their parents in the Parish directory, and there's no annotation indicating whether the child attends St. Gabriel or not. If a school requests a mailing list of 7th & 8th graders in St. Gabriel's parish, those children would appear on that list, because they are members of the parish.

 

Some people who send their kids to public schools, yet let them play on the parish teams do so for many reasons. Does this make them the private school's "property", or the public school's "property"?

In the CSAA, here in Louisville, if a kid is a member of a parish, even if he does not attend school there, he is able to play for that school's athletic teams. The teams represent the PARISH, not necessarily the school.

 

Some of the kids go to public schools.

 

I believe that if information is distributed to children at a Catholic parish school, it is also made available to other children of the parish who do not attend school there. I do know that information is sent from the Catholic schools to Catholic kids. Some of those may be public school kids. I think this is one area where people think that schools like Trinity & X are "recruiting public school athletes".

 

For instance, a child attending Fern Creek Elementary, or Fern Creek Middle school, is a member of St. Gabriel. As they are members of the parish, they play, let's say, basketball, on St. Gabriel's team. They are listed, along with their parents in the Parish directory, and there's no annotation indicating whether the child attends St. Gabriel or not. If a school requests a mailing list of 7th & 8th graders in St. Gabriel's parish, those children would appear on that list, because they are members of the parish.

 

Some people who send their kids to public schools, yet let them play on the parish teams do so for many reasons. Does this make them the private school's "property", or the public school's "property"?

 

:thumb: This is wear some public school officals are lost in their thought process. There are alot of kids who attend public schools but still belong to the catholic parish. To play for most Catholic basketball teams all you have to do is belong ot parish because most basketball teams are sponsored by athletic boosters through the parish and not the school.

 

For example two kids my 8th grade year played with us at St.Augustine Grade school. They went to Tishner I believe a Lloyd feeder school. They played for St.Augustine because their Grandma,father, aunts and uncles belonged to the parish for many years. Both still ended up attending Lloyd High School but the option was there for them to go to Holy Cross since their family had belonged to a feeder parish in St.Augustine for a few decades.

Which is more of an advantage?

Partial Tuition paid (some kids at Private Schools) - or -

Full Tuition paid (all kids at Public Schools)

(plus transportation, etc.)

 

Free education? Hmm Why did it cost me almost $700 for my two children to attend a public elementary school (class fees, and a four page list of materials they needed) :p

 

The way I see it the partial paid tuition is an advantage.

 

Since they are forced to pay at least some of the cost the parent/guardian has some investment in the child’s education and puts effort into the education of their child.

Free education? Hmm Why did it cost me almost $700 for my two children to attend a public elementary school (class fees, and a four page list of materials they needed) :p

 

The way I see it the partial paid tuition is an advantage.

 

Since they are forced to pay at least some of the cost the parent/guardian has some investment in the child’s education and puts effort into the education of their child.

 

I can't believe that anyone would even mention $350.00 per kid per YEAR. I'd be embarrassed. Try paying nearly $8,000.00 in tuition plus more than $350.00 in books.

 

Are you telling us that if you had to pay more than $350. you would be more interested in your kid's education? That's a heck of an admission.

Let's list here myths you've heard or believe about Private schools, and the reality.

 

A few Myths that I've personally heard:

 

Private schools can offer athletic scholarships-NO

Private schools have dorms for out of town students-NO

Private schools have unlimited resources-NO

I know you're probably referring to the larger private schools close to metropolitan areas, but some private schools do offer dorms for their out of town students.

Oneida Baptist Institute in Clay County has an enrollment of about 280 in the HS, and probably half of those students stay in dorms on campus.

Of course, OBI has never took advantage of this situation to my knowledge. I asked one of their middle school basketball coaches a few years ago did the thought of traveling to Ohio or somewhere over the summer and bringing back a couple of 6'9's ever cross their minds, and he said no, their concentration and emphasis was on serving the Lord, not recruiting basketball players.

I believe Red Bird Mission HS, which is also in Clay County, also has dorms for some of their students.

I can't believe that anyone would even mention $350.00 per kid per YEAR. I'd be embarrassed. Try paying nearly $8,000.00 in tuition plus more than $350.00 in books.

 

Are you telling us that if you had to pay more than $350. you would be more interested in your kid's education? That's a heck of an admission.

That was a tongue in cheek comment. (I had the smilly with the tongue sticking out)

 

The amount of money I spend does not affect my attitude toward my own childrens education. There are many parents who don't care (I see more than my share in the schools), and they may be more apt to make sure their child is not a behavior problem and stays in class and school, if they had to pay for their education.

 

As for paying $8,000.00 I can't imagine it, I won't pay that much for a car :D . My wife and I would need to get two more side jobs on top of the ones we already have. (Thats almost 1/4 of our total income). Especially, IMO, when I can get an equal or better education much cheaper.

That was a tongue in cheek comment. (I had the smilly with the tongue sticking out)

 

The amount of money I spend does not affect my attitude toward my own childrens education. There are many parents who don't care (I see more than my share in the schools), and they may be more apt to make sure their child is not a behavior problem and stays in class and school, if they had to pay for their education.

 

As for paying $8,000.00 I can't imagine it, I won't pay that much for a car :D . My wife and I would need to get two more side jobs on top of the ones we already have. (Thats almost 1/4 of our total income). Especially, IMO, when I can get an equal or better education much cheaper.

 

It sounds like it would be pretty difficult for Trinity to recruit any of your kids.

Private school Fact #1: A kid can show up to your school no matter where he lives or where he has went to school and play from day one as long as he is academically eligible. Can a kid do this at a public school?

 

If a public school cannot except students outside their district/county (despite the parents being willing to pay tuition to that school district), that restriction is placed on that public school by its school district, not the KHSAA. To the best of my knowledge, the KHSAA does not have a problem with athletes playing for public schools from a different county. That would not be an advantage of the private schools, that would be a disadvantage the school district placed upon its own schools.

rockmom....we should let it rest, we are all "uppity and snotty people"...

 

:lol:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.