Why can't the publics compete?

TigerKat

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, the publics CAN compete IF:

1) They realize that teaching the fundamentals of a sport begins when the child begins school. If your goal is to have a great athletic system, you begin a system at the grade school level.

2) Stop using Title IX as an excuse. I understand that the monies must be distributed equally. So, do it. Don't stop trying to raise money just because it's going to be shared. Isn't the well-being or your female students as important as your male students? Why all this flack and animosity over revenue sharing? Why do people refuse to fundraise for their school?

Who knows, maybe your girls team in some sport is the sport that brings fame to your school, and creates intrest in your athletics!

3) Create a level of interest in participation among your students. Work the halls, generate enthusiasm, get your students to buy in to the benefits of playing sports.

4) Create enthusiasm among your alumni, parents, other students and the community for your school and it's programs. Involve them, and the volunteer efforts and fundraising will follow.

5) Create a sense of community within your school. Make it more than just a place a kid has to go for 6 hours a day. Make it a place they WANT to be and WANT to represent.

I realize all of the above may not apply to all schools. But, those are the 5 core things that I think public schools need to address to compete. The problem is that it's hit or miss among schools, and then those that don't have any/all of the 5 are stymied by their competition's success.

Good post!!! Unfortunately this is much harder in rural areas of the state. Lots of parents could care less if their kids get an education much less play sports.

Good post!!! Unfortunately this is much harder in rural areas of the state. Lots of parents could care less if their kids get an education much less play sports.

I understand 100% what you're saying! :thumb:

But that won't change if the private schools are split.

LLBC quote : I been told time and time again public schools are about educating and not preparing for the real world. The real world includes final, harsh penalties for improper behavior and we don't have that in public schools. We are basically not allowed to expel students unless they are a danger to the school. Does not matter how much they act up and disrupt the education process. Special ed students can only be suspended for a max of 10 days in a year NO matter how much they misbehave. And you can't expel them without providing some sort of teaching service, no matter their behavior. That is not the real world either.

Great post and comment....My wife went to a public school and I went to private. We were both previously married with children. Her children(I hate that because they are really ours) went to public grade school and mine went to private. There was absolutely no difference in the quality of teachers between the schools. The difference was discipline and the constant disruption of some children. The teachers were really frustrated with their lack of options. That is the reason that all of our children are now enrolled in private schools. Our boys would have gone to X because of long family tradition anyway...but their was no such tradition established for our girls.

Zach Barnard drove from Henderson to Owensboro every day to go to Owensboro Catholic and that is over 20 miles.

Im a non-catholic, never played a sport, and I drove 23 miles one way to St.X everyday. I left because I got tired of the crap that went on in the public school system in my area. I got LOTS of tuition help while I was at St.X too. ;)

Im a non-catholic, never played a sport, and I drove 23 miles one way to St.X everyday. I left because I got tired of the crap that went on in the public school system in my area. I got LOTS of tuition help while I was at St.X too. ;)

I was only posting in reponse to LSURock questioning students driving over 20 miles to school. Barnard could have very easily gone to Memorial or Mater Dei in Evansville, IN and been 15 or so miles closer. I think he went to O'Cath because of Father Bradley.

TigerKat,

Get your facts straight. While Jefferson Co. may get $90 :creepy: which is rather high....most public school's get $34.00 per kid/day...you may want to check out the ADA or SEEK funding for other figures. The $34.00 is the exact amount of one specific public school district.

At a fromer school I taught at the funding was around that figure per day when the kids showed up here is a chart for the entire state. School average per pupil is still higher than most private schools.

http://www.education.ky.gov/NR/rdonlyres/eiv2rlwsb7wwliiikaxjoltestf3r2opzcwn7z6lpesdmfhxg64ab6djd3kehijhglefvp2ewozjyhzeyftxfqgy5gg/0405ReceiptsandExpenditures100305.xls