Why can't the publics compete?

TigerKat

That number is inaccurate TigerKat...If you'd like a PM...I will give you the exact totals which are not $47.58 and that comes from the highest authority.

I am really not that concerned with your particular county I am just asking why are many counties struggling to succeed when the privates do it on the same money day to day. I also got the info off the KDE website, just what they are reporting.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To answer your two points, I have bolded them.

1)I believe that would be the school aligns more closely with the parent's personal religious beliefs. Of course, public schools are not allowed to address this in any way, shape or form. Even to the point, people want the pledge of allegiance removed from the school system. I applaud the private school parents for staying true to their faith.

2)I applaud the school board members in staying true to their mission of educating youth in their community and not opening up the doors to field stronger athletic teams. Public schools have a different focus than privates. Publics are designed to educate youth in a community. Privates are designed, in most cases, to educate youth whose parents have some interest in a specific faith.

ladiesbbc, I also respect your views and the manner in which you present them, but and its a big BUT, I cannot disagree with you more in re point 2. True to the mission of only allowing students from within the district? Sorry, but I've never heard or read that mission statement anywhere. That's a new one. Frankly, I'd be mad as a hornet if we had space in our public school classrooms and we turned down out of district students who would generate money for the school district. Furthermore, you know good and well that if Ft. Thomas turned down a student living in Newport, all hades would be raised about what snobs we are. Heck, I think we have a great academic system in Ft. Thomas. Provided we have room in the classes, I think we have a moral obligation to accept as many students from out of the district as possible. Furthermore, what you are now saying is that if a parent lives in a community that has a poor public school (by poor, I mean one that is not doing well academically), now not only cannot the kid not go to a private school and hope to compete in meaningful athletic state championship competition someday, the kid also cannot enroll at a neighboring public school district that has a strong academic record because you don't think the neighboring school district with the strong academic record should accept students not in the community. Well we've now put the kid in chains and shackeled him to the terrible public school of his home district, haven't we? That's really teaching the kids and the parents who want better for their kids a real lesson. And America is the land of opportunity?

I can understand a some of your points in support of Prop 20, but saying that the public schools have a mission to only educate kids within the district and should not accept out of district students is not understandable at all to me. And I get paid to try to understand both sides of issues.

I can understand a some of your points in support of Prop 20, but saying that the public schools have a mission to only educate kids within the district and should not accept out of district students is not understandable at all to me. And I get paid to try to understand both sides of issues.

Very easy to understand strong communities have strong educational systems. If a school depletes another school community of thier leaders in the classroom, who will provide the positive peer pressure in the classroom.

Sounds to me like the school that lost their students wasn't getting it done or else the students parents wouldn't have sent them to the neighboring school district. Don't pull down the strong to prop up the weak. If you don't want brain drain, you improve your situation so the brains don't want to leave. That's just as true in education as it is in business. Putting regulations in place to stop brain drain doesn't work.

Sounds to me the Super of the school losing students has some work to do; motivating the teachers, coaches and administrators to do a better job and to turn out a better product; and to meet regularly with the parents to show them how the school is improving and why they should keep their kids in the school district. How often do you think that happens in the districts losing students to the non public schools or neighboring public school districts?

Rockmom..You bring up a good point.

I know Beechwood in particular does not even offer Grade school sports.

It is like everything else...the younger you learn, the better you become as you grow older.

Now that my kids are in high school, I see first hand how frustrating it is. Do other public schools offer sports in grade school? Why or why not? Beechwood does well in football because many kids play Spartans. Blessed Sacrament allows our students to participate in their soccer and baseball program. Some kids play rec basketball for the city, but it is not the same as playing for your school. When it comes to basketball and volleyball, we start out behind. Tough playing against schools whose students have already been playing 3-4 years. I know money is always at the bottom of everything, but once a program is established, is it that expensive to run?

Now that my kids are in high school, I see first hand how frustrating it is. Do other public schools offer sports in grade school? Why or why not? Beechwood does well in football because many kids play Spartans. Blessed Sacrament allows our students to participate in their soccer and baseball program. Some kids play rec basketball for the city, but it is not the same as playing for your school. When it comes to basketball and volleyball, we start out behind. Tough playing against schools whose students have already been playing 3-4 years. I know money is always at the bottom of everything, but once a program is established, is it that expensive to run?

That's a good point. When kids play on teams of their classmates and friends at an early age, they develop a sense of loyalty and teamwork as well. I know that when my son played baseball in Babe Ruth leagues, his relationship with his teammates was different than the teams he played on for his school. By and large, the school teams have the same players each year, where youth leagues have "drafts", etc, to determine teams.

Sounds to me like the school that lost their students wasn't getting it done or else the students parents wouldn't have sent them to the neighboring school district. Don't pull down the strong to prop up the weak. If you don't want brain drain, you improve your situation so the brains don't want to leave. That's just as true in education as it is in business. Putting regulations in place to stop brain drain doesn't work.?

one of my reasons to get rid of compulsory education.

Sounds to me the Super of the school losing students has some work to do; motivating the teachers, coaches and administrators to do a better job and to turn out a better product; and to meet regularly with the parents to show them how the school is improving and why they should keep their kids in the school district. How often do you think that happens in the districts losing students to the non public schools or neighboring public school districts?

Very often many of these schools are inner city schools and they have numerous programs that have parents meeting every week to imporve their school. Meetings every week, with thier children, to imporve the relationship between the school, parents, and students.

I'm not sure about rural schools maybe LBBC can help on this one.