Letter concerning the separation of Public and Private Schools

Rickyp

Below is a link to a letter in the Herald Leader signed by some ADs and coaches from across the state concerning the impending vote on the public/private school issue.

The part that I find interesting is the statement about private schools being able to draw kids from the entire county were as public schools are limited by geographical boundries. Then I pick up the Daily Independent and there is an article about one of the captians on Ashland's football team and low and behold he lives on the south side of I-64 over 9 miles from the city limits. Not only that his two siblings go to Boyd Co. Plus the ace of the baseball pitching staff lives in Catlettsburg also in the Boyd Co. district.

There are several well know athletes in the 64th and 63rd districts that attend schools outside of their school districts and in some cases their countys.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/sports/fans/12915447.htm

I would have been ashamed to sign my name to such a letter filled with inaccuracies. :eek:

Makes me respect the comments, made by all the collumnists they mentioned, even more.

It just sounded kind of pitiful.

I agree. I would be leery of signing anything so poorly comprised.

I thought the topic at hand was high school sports, not what the NCAA and professional leagues do.

Looking at the list of who "signed" the letter, what else would you expect? "Honest" is a word that will not be used to describe any of them in this dispute. The examples posted by Rickyp is just two examples of the hypocracy. At least, no Northern Kentuckian participated in the deception.

However, the letter has one use. Print it, shread it, and spread it on your evergreens. It will be great fertilizer.

Unfortunately you missed the point in this comparison :cry:

No I didn't. They were comparing complaints of a columnist. The comparison of those two stances are completely irrelevant to the issue at hand. All they're trying to do is discredit the columnist's opinions and they use quotes about college athletics to do that. :rolleyes:

The rest of that paragraph may have been necessary but that comparison is ridiculous, IMO.

I guess it depends on how you read the article. I read it as they were trying to make their point more clear, by pointing out the columnists misunderstanding of thier stance.

Is the glass half full or half empty? :jump:

I thought they were just trying to damage the credibility of the columnists. Your glass is half full, my glass is half empty :cry: and the KHSAA is trying to see where the liquid went. :creepy:

I have to amend my inital post. The young man in the Ashland paper lives close to J&J restuarant I thought it said the Fly J. Still out of district but much closer to Ashland.

My mistake and apologies for the misrepresentation.

There is an insinuation in that letter that private schools offer financial aid to students based on athletic ability. I think that their comparison to NCAA scholarship limits may be apt. College teams are divided based on the amount of financial aid they are able to offer. In high school it is a little different. If you attend a private school and you qualify for financial aid, you may apply to receive up to 50 percent of the tuition. If you attend a public school, the tuition is free. So the comparison is apt. Private schools charge their students, public schools don't. The privates are Division III, the publics are Division IA. What is killing them is that the Division IA schools keep losing to the Division III schools.

Let's look at the real competitive situation.

If you are unable to pay the complete cost of a high school education, you have three choices. You can attend a private school and apply for financial aid. You will have to fill out financial aid forms. Those aid forms will not include your name or anything else that would identify your athletic ability. If you are found to need aid, you may receive up to half of the cost of the tuition. You will have to come up with the rest on your own. I think that what Dr. Mullin had to say in yesterdays paper should open some eyes. He said that despite the fact that the financial aid service had determined that some students qualified for 100 percent aid, no student receives more than 50 percent. He also said that the gap between what was needed based on the outside review service and what they were able to offer was $700,000. That is a shocking number and I call on all members of the Trinity family to help close that gap.

If you choose to attend a public school you can go for free to the school in your district.

Your third choice is to attend a public school outside your district. If you choose to do that there may be some tuition charged. In general it will be far less than the tuition charged by private schools. The public district may not choose to accept you. They are free to accept you, but some choose not to.

Now, based on this, why do students and their families choose a private education? It would appear that they think that there is a value to the private school that is worth what it will cost them. I agree.

Public school districts have the option of opening their schools to students from any location and charging them tuition. Most choose not to. Why? There is only one explanation that I can see. Most of them don't think that anyone will want to pay tuition to attend a public school. They should ask themselves why.

Public school districts have the option of opening their schools to students from any location and charging them tuition. Most choose not to. Why? There is only one explanation that I can see. Most of them don't think that anyone will want to pay tuition to attend a public school. They should ask themselves why.

I believe you win the award for BGP post that is the most incorrect post ever.

WOW! And I promised myself I would not get in this debate anymore but you made me break that promise. :madman:

Public schools do not allow students in because it is not their design to educate students OUTSIDE of their boundaries. It is NOT Augusta's responsibility to educate students from Maysville. It is NOT Harrison County's responsibility to educate students from Scott County. It is unbelievable that you want to attack a government agency for trying to do what they are designed to do and that is to educate students FROM their area.

BTW, latest testing results showed that the students of similar socio-economic background at public and private schools score the same. So private schools, while they LOVE to shout it loud that they are superior educationally, are not.

I will not be responding to any reply so save your time and effort. I simply am NOT going to check out a post in this forum again.