Look like Reds lose out

Wildcat Dad

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have a LF now. Gomes just signed.

I don't know if I would anoint him the starting LF. I think we'll some huge competition this spring, but I like the signing, and I feel comfortable with the choice of candidates to play LF this year for the Reds.

Drew is in his third year of his five year contract paying him $14 million a year and so far he has hit 42 homers for the $42 million the Red Sox have paid him.

He has missed about 85 games in two and two thirds seasons with the Red Sox. He has never drove in more than 64 runs in a season for the Red Sox.

I don’t know how Drew and his agent Boras can sleep at night since Drew will have made $80 million by the end of this season in his career. His only impressive stat is his 204 homers, but it has taken him 12 years of averaging 17 homers a season to reach that number.

He has had 64 RBI or less in nine of his 12 seasons and is averaging about 57 RBI over his career.

There have only been three seasons in which Drew has played more than 135 games and he has never played in more than 146 games in a season.

He was better in 09 but still not close to worth 14 million. Drew can work a count but so could Dunn who he was tied with in your stat but the Reds don't have that much to spend on a guy to walk. Boston can buy whatever category they want. They gave 36 year old Mike Cameron 7.5 million to shag fly balls off the monster this year....

Are you serious? I'm sure they sleep quite well and probably in a very nice bed.

Are you serious? I'm sure they sleep quite well and probably in a very nice bed.

It was an article. And yes I am sure they will as well. He is one of a few overpaid players but maybe he was worth it like Joe said he did help them to a title. The Reds will never have that market sadly.

It was an article. And yes I am sure they will as well. He is one of a few overpaid players but maybe he was worth it like Joe said he did help them to a title. The Reds will never have that market sadly.

Exactly. The Reds can't afford to make mistakes on $2 or $ 3 million contracts, let alone a $13 million contract. The Red Sox have that luxury.

But if they had a LF and start winning who is going to close games out? Wagner flopped and Cordero is good for 40 saves. Sure he is probably overpaid but that bullpen has been ugly in the past.

Don't need a closer. With a new $11million LF we would score so many more runs that closer would be obsolete.

How about getting enough offense to start winning and then figure that out? Closers are not that hard to find. Masset on the current staff could do it, if not guys with 2 good pitches are converted to closers all the time successfully. The free agent market was flooded with them the past 2 offseasons--and most all of them were cheaper than $11 million per year. A closer is worthless without a lead to protect.

Cordero is a very good closer but the Reds could really use the money spent on him to improve the club.

How about getting enough offense to start winning and then figure that out? Closers are not that hard to find. Masset on the current staff could do it, if not guys with 2 good pitches are converted to closers all the time successfully. The free agent market was flooded with them the past 2 offseasons--and most all of them were cheaper than $11 million per year. A closer is worthless without a lead to protect.

Cordero is a very good closer but the Reds could really use the money spent on him to improve the club.

You know what? The deal is already done. So, at this point, we can lament over the bad deal that Cordero has been. And in the event that the rest of the staff remains healthy and by some slim chance the Reds are in contention later than normal, perhaps it won't seem so upside down. And your beloved RedSox can absorb multiple bad $11mil contracts because of their enormous payroll (I know, I know, it's not as high as the Yankees, got it!) and still not suffer at the same rate as the Reds who obviously have to be smart as well as lucky to some degree with their paltry payroll.

But a good closer is not as easy to find. What is your take on Harang at 14 million? At some point they have to spend money in certain areas if they want to contend. It just sucks we don't have enough money to go around. I agree with Spin.. Reds have to be smart and lucky.