Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Pearl a Better Game Coach than Cal?

Featured Replies

I feel like with the talent Calipari has been able to bring in that he would have more than 2 trips to the Final Four. Pearl has not had the luxury of having the talent that Calipari has had, but yet he is right behind Calipari in winning percentage. Goes a long way for me. What is their head-to-head record?

  • Replies 73
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always watch the Halls Salvage Sports Source Show.....

 

They are knowledgeble guys but they have the brightest orange goggles I've ever seen!

 

 

I get my kicks from seeing them whine and moan about UK Basketball.

I think Pearl is an awesome coach and one of the best in the country. With that said, Cal has been a winner every where he's been. He took UMass to the Final Four, and yes they had Camby but who else was on that team?

 

So I would say he can coach and make adjustments in the games. I do think that Pearl kind of has his number though, or at least has the DDM figured out. And UT was so patient last night offensively, I thought that was the mark of good coaching too.

 

Give me Cal because he's proven, but Pearl IMO is probably a top 10-15 guy around the country.

Coach Cal could not adjust to the 2-3 zone. He even kept calling it a 3-2 zone in the halftime interview and the post game interview.

Because they ran both.

I think Pearl is an awesome coach and one of the best in the country. With that said, Cal has been a winner every where he's been. He took UMass to the Final Four, and yes they had Camby but who else was on that team?

 

So I would say he can coach and make adjustments in the games. I do think that Pearl kind of has his number though, or at least has the DDM figured out. And UT was so patient last night offensively, I thought that was the mark of good coaching too.

 

Give me Cal because he's proven, but Pearl IMO is probably a top 10-15 guy around the country.

 

He had an unbelievable pair of guards on that team in Trevioso and Padilla. They were both outstanding players.

Back to the thread topic.

 

Both are good coaches. Very similar winning percentages, but Cal has the two Final Four's. What barometer do you use to measure a better "in game" coach? Isn't the ultimate measurement a win? What else matters?

 

Pearl-Currently ranked #4 among active coaches with a winning % of .774. Record of 415-121. 17 years of coaching.

 

Cal-Currently ranked #6 among active coaches with a winning % of .760. Record of

441-139. 17 years of coaching.

 

Cal is also ranked fourth all time in 30+ win seasons with 6.

 

In 17 seasons, Cal has coached in 44 more games than Pearl, which would point towards more post season success also.

I've never been that impressed with Pearl with all the tourny flame outs and such, but he has done a great job this year. If we are looking at records and head to head, didn't "G" go 3-1 against him? Hard to say who is better, but i'm happier with Cal coaching my team than I would be Pearl.

Look at the scoreboard.:ohbrother:

He had an unbelievable pair of guards on that team in Trevioso and Padilla. They were both outstanding players.

 

Not all kinds of NBA talent like he's had at Memphis and UK though, wouldn't you agree?

I'll take Cal over anyone else right now.

x's and o's are overrated. Give me the guy who will get the best players in here.

I've never been that impressed with Pearl with all the tourny flame outs and such, but he has done a great job this year. If we are looking at records and head to head, didn't "G" go 3-1 against him? Hard to say who is better, but i'm happier with Cal coaching my team than I would be Pearl.

 

I was thinking the same thing Billy Clyde dominated Pearl.

 

I don't know who is better but Cal is something like 160-15 in the past few season. That's pretty strong.

 

Both are better than Tubby!

Pearl is a good recruiter, wins a few big games occasionally (like Kansas this year) but he is a total flame out when the real pressure is on, such as the NCAA tourney. Plus, how did he allow UK to beat him twice last year with Porter running the point and Stevenson as an enforcer down low?

I'll take Cal over Pearl, but I'm not one of these that'll tell you that Calipari is a super game coach. He'll tell you himself that there are many coaches that are better at x's and o's than him.

 

He did figure out a plan to defeat Pearl's 3-2 zone, however.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.